Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The Book of Faces

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

I've always found reasons not to get rid of mine: keeping in touch with Blah Blah, making sure I don't miss out on blah, maintaining an online presence for some guy/girl I vaguely associated with sometime. I guess it's pretty apparent these reasons are starting to lose their sway. From looking at the sidebar and seeing ads for crap I searched for on the other side of the Internet, to the flood of Suggested Posts (AdBlock be damned), all the way to coming-to all of a sudden wondering what the fuck I'd just done for the past hour, it's lost its appeal.

I made an update asking anyone who gives a crap to message me their contact info, realized I just don't CARE about most of the news, and if I drop more off the radar than I already have, I'm sure the world will go on.

But yeah, I haven't pushed the button yet >_< Anyone care to remind me why it's such a happening place to be?

Jan 07 17 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

If you are talking about facebook I have nothing to do with it.

Jan 07 17 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

1)  I like seeing pictures of friends & family.

2)  I got a couple of friends who do a good job at posting funny stuff.

3)  I'm following some nice sites, like "Amazing Woodworking", that shows artistic stuff.

4)  FB Purity does a good job at weeding out nearly all of the Facebook crap.

Jan 07 17 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
If you are talking about facebook I have nothing to do with it.

It's that kind of smug dismissal I look forward to being able to give.

Being ~92.1% serious.

Looknsee Photography wrote:
1)  I like seeing pictures of friends & family.

2)  I got a couple of friends who do a good job at posting funny stuff.

3)  I'm following some nice sites, like "Amazing Woodworking", that shows artistic stuff.

4)  FB Purity does a good job at weeding out nearly all of the Facebook crap.

1-3) Those are the kinds of things that kept me around, also.

4) I'm just so turned off by the entire system that I don't care whether one or two annoyances are being mitigated. Eventually, Facebook will develop methods of circumventing the circumventions, the cycle will continue, and this isn't its first iteration.

Jan 07 17 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

So, I deleted the account a few days ago. I also added an entry to my hosts file to redirect me to a black hole if I try to browse there out of habit.

I think I've typed facebook.com at least 50 times since I think it was Saturday or Sunday. I love the feeling of having it go nowhere. I'm debating writing a quick app to track how many times I do it. It takes two weeks to break a habit, which is, coincidentally, the amount of time before Facebook 'really' deletes your account.

Jan 12 17 02:43 pm Link