Forums > Model Colloquy > Aspire to WIN? Or "Meh"?

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Pic of the Day

Jan 10 17 02:56 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I was never into those contests. They don't seem to really mean much; a photographer I worked with at the end of 2015 submitted an image we shot to the "Pic of the Day Implied" contest, or something like that, then won it.

I probably should have entered them a lot more and used it for networking, but I'm not a competitive person at all and don't care about "winning" much of anything

Jan 10 17 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Congratulations even though it didn't mean much to you.

Jan 10 17 04:12 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

I can give you some basic info on the official contest.

The winner of the POTD contest typically gets about 2k views on MM. Obviously some of that traffic flows to the winner's profile.

We also share winners, and some other entries, on social media: Facebook (300k), Instagram (60k) and Twitter (50k)

FB and IG have the most reach and engagement, but all three combine to provide about another 15-20k views, and then there are the shares, re-posts/tweets, comments, likes, etc.

If you're trying to grow your social media following that's an easy (and free) way of doing it. For example, a paid post on those platforms to reach that many people would cost about $1k.

Whether you consider that worthwhile or not depends on what you hope to get out of it but there really is no better way of leveraging Model Mayhem to get more people to see your work.

Jan 10 17 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

I had no idea of the reach, very useful information, thank you!

Jan 11 17 11:49 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:
We also share winners, and some other entries, on social media: Facebook (300k), Instagram (60k) and Twitter (50k)

not the nakkies though.. so it makes sense to not bother entering those contests I guess

Jan 11 17 12:21 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

goofus  wrote:
not the nakkies though.. so it makes sense to not bother entering those contests I guess

We don't share them on social media but they still generate a lot of views on Model Mayhem, especially the women's 18+ contest. In fact, it's the most popular contest on MM (as the voting also shows). The winner usually gets about 2k views and the runner-ups also do well.

The men's 18+ contest is about half the size of the women's in terms of traffic.

The numbers show that winning, and often just entering, is still the most effective way of getting other MM members to your profile. So, for the 18+ contests it's a much easier question to answer. How much do you value other MM members seeing your work and visiting your profile?

Jan 11 17 12:55 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:
]
We don't share them on social media but they still generate a lot of views on Model Mayhem, especially the women's 18+ contest. In fact, it's the most popular contest on MM ..

Giggity

Jan 11 17 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Koryn wrote:
I probably should have entered them a lot more and used it for networking, but I'm not a competitive person at all and don't care about "winning" much of anything

oh Koryn, you're always a winner here

Jan 11 17 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Toto Photo wrote:
Aspire to WIN?

Absolutely!  Competitive is healthy adjunct of professional growth...

Vince Lombardi wrote:
“Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to is.”

Toto Photo wrote:
Pic of the Day

While I occasionally enjoy perusing the obvious (and at times outstanding) level of retouching expertise within this contest. Albeit for my commercial clients it is typically too aberrant for their needs... a.k.a. when the hand of the retouches is visible in the image it has failed...     

Instead I actively participate in the "other" contest where vote stacking becomes blatantly obvious which in my humble opinion is a tragic flaw in the Pic of the Day contest where it is likely ubiquitous.  For nearly two years I was the Contest Admin for Makeup Artist of the Week Contest under my other moniker of Artistry Image where having well over a dozen contributors was commonplace... There was much camaraderie latent within this contest where innovation and creativity were keynotes.  Sadly it was tombstoned several years ago...

Final Thoughts Toto?  While in college I had the privilege to work under a brilliant coach who offered his wisdom on competition. 

Losers? The only losers are those on the sidelines... The "Real" winners are those who play... Winning/Losing are impostors... only Playing is real...

Hope this helps, or is at least food for thought...
All the best on your journey Toto

Jan 12 17 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Thanks Thomas and your former coach for the  food for thought.

Jan 13 17 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Looks like there is a new rule ( not very well defined) that will eliminate spread shots from the +18 contest.

Jan 15 17 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
Looks like there is a new rule ( not very well defined) that will eliminate spread shots from the +18 contest.

I'd never before been to the Site Rules area of Edu. Interesting place, but I couldn't discern the "new rule". What is it?

Jan 17 17 12:48 pm Link