Forums > Photography Talk > Backdrop Question

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
So I'm going to London for the first time ever in March and I want to attempt to do a paid shoot or two while I'm there.  I can't really afford to buy a backdrop kit with seamless backgrounds while I'm there, and I'm for sure not paying to ship it there and back either, so I'm trying to figure out how to do this.  I found out that they sell collapsible 5x7 backgrounds but I have never used one before.  However, after looking at what they actually are I realized that I already have one pretty much because I have a 5 in 1, 5x7 reflector. 

Have any of you used your reflector as a background?  Have you used a collapsible background before?  Do any of you have samples to share or any ideas of what I should do.  I really just need white and gray for headshots and maybe some from the waist up portraits.  Thanks in advance.

By the way this is what the reflector I have looks like except it's by Impact: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-120x180cm … WKRCSKHBMT

Jan 10 17 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
and I'm for sure not paying to shit it there and back either

it's not that bad in the UK yet. are you also transporting drugs the same way?

buy a paper roll after you get there. leave it behind after your are done.

Jan 10 17 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

it's not that bad in the UK yet. are you also transporting drugs the same way?

buy a paper roll after you get there. leave it behind after your are done.

LMAO!  Yes, TONS of crack lol.  No but ok if I buy a roll and I go to a clients house what am I hanging it on?  Taping it would look tacky.  You know what though, maybe I can take the middle pole from my backdrop kit and use it with two regular tripods.  That middle one might fit into my bag.  I'm just trying to come up with something that will still look professional when I go to someone's house to do headshots.  I don't want to mess up someone's wall.

Jan 10 17 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tamarack Publications

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I have this magnetic gizmo that holds the collapsible background / reflector on just one stand.  I suppose you could also use a tripod if it goes up that high.  I think it is made by Lastolite, that probably means it was expensive.

Have fun.

Jan 10 17 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Tamarack Publications wrote:
I have this magnetic gizmo that holds the collapsible background / reflector on just one stand.  I suppose you could also use a tripod if it goes up that high.  I think it is made by Lastolite, that probably means it was expensive.

Have fun.

Do you by any chance have pictures of you using it?  Doesn't have to show the reflector/background, just the final product.  if you want to of course.  Thanks for the help!

Jan 10 17 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Tamarack Publications

I don't have a shot of me using it, but I found it at B&H.  Sadly, it is spendy, but it works!  I don't know if it comes in smaller sizes, but the 24 inch one works on the 5x7 but NOT the bigger ones.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1045827- … pport.html

Jan 11 17 06:47 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
I'm just trying to come up with something that will still look professional when I go to someone's house to do headshots.  I don't want to mess up someone's wall.

for headshots - absolutely that will work.. you can probably get up to about waist up with that size reflector

I picked up one of those reflectors - 5x7 flexi - black and white... and with a couple cans of spray paint..made a decent blueish mottled background on the white side - keep it far enough back and it blends up real nice

Jan 11 17 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Jan 11 17 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

why not a Titanium Cloth from Backdrop Outlet in a solid color. Then can be folded and packed into any regular sized case. You can tack the to a wall. Tape to a window. Hang from the eve or ceiling. They are generally wrinkle-free, but and wrinkles from packing/storage can be taken out in tumble dryer.

I've traveled with several of their backdrops on location shoots. I suggest also taking or buying gaffers tape and safety pins in case you need to tape to wall. (tape to wall, safety pin tape to background)  Seriously more practical than hauling around stands and cross-bars.

Jan 11 17 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Thanks everyone.  Have read all of the comments.  I'm not so sure my reflector would be the best thing anymore.  What I really want are two colors, white and gray but not a light gray, more of a medium.

So the cloth options.  I haven't used cloth stuff since like 2002 when I was in college.  I just remember it being very wrinkled.  I looked at some of the links you guys and gals provided and it seems like the cloth stuff from back then is different from now because for starters most of these backdrops have that hole for the backdrop pole to go through.  What I used in college you had to clamp up and it was a freaking mess.

Anyway, saying that I'm down for giving the cloth stuff a go, do you guys have examples of that?  How easy is it to vanish the wrinkles away?  Would clamp stretching the fabric be enough or do I have to iron it all the time?  Also, I have seen muslin and now titanium ones as an option, what would you recommend?  Like I said before, I was already going to take light stands with me so taking the middle pole from my backdrop kit with me and hooking it up to those would be a non issue.  The real issue here is that I want which ever route I go with to not be too expensive or annoying.

Right now I am offering outdoor shoots in London but in March it will be cold as hell so I doubt I will get much bite for that.  I need to offer studio stuff too.  My goal is to book 2 shoots just for the extra money and the experience while I'm there.  The rest will be vacation time.

Jan 11 17 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
Thanks everyone.  Have read all of the comments.  I'm not so sure my reflector would be the best thing anymore.  What I really want are two colors, white and gray but not a light gray, more of a medium.

So the cloth options.  I haven't used cloth stuff since like 2002 when I was in college.  I just remember it being very wrinkled.  I looked at some of the links you guys and gals provided and it seems like the cloth stuff from back then is different from now because for starters most of these backdrops have that hole for the backdrop pole to go through.  What I used in college you had to clamp up and it was a freaking mess.

Anyway, saying that I'm down for giving the cloth stuff a go, do you guys have examples of that?  How easy is it to vanish the wrinkles away?  Would clamp stretching the fabric be enough or do I have to iron it all the time?  Also, I have seen muslin and now titanium ones as an option, what would you recommend?  Like I said before, I was already going to take light stands with me so taking the middle pole from my backdrop kit with me and hooking it up to those would be a non issue.  The real issue here is that I want which ever route I go with to not be too expensive or annoying.

Right now I am offering outdoor shoots in London but in March it will be cold as hell so I doubt I will get much bite for that.  I need to offer studio stuff too.  My goal is to book 2 shoots just for the extra money and the experience while I'm there.  The rest will be vacation time.

Gaffer tape is always useful and should be easy to pick up there. I also have various sizes of spring clamps. Again, should be easy to find there.
https://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1vWXSIXXXXXXlXFXXq6xXFXXXn/Top-Quality-DIY-Tools-6PCS-3-5-Inch-Black-Plastic-Nylon-Spring-Clamps-Set-for-Paper.jpg

For removing wrinkles in fabrics try https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/14711577?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg
Good for backdrops, shirts, pants when travelling.

Jan 11 17 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
Anyway, saying that I'm down for giving the cloth stuff a go, do you guys have examples of that?  How easy is it to vanish the wrinkles away?  Would clamp stretching the fabric be enough or do I have to iron it all the time?  Also, I have seen muslin and now titanium ones as an option, what would you recommend?

Titanium Cloth on location (clamped to porch overhang)
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150730/15/55baa015a1767_m.jpg

Titanium Cloth in studio w/ cross-bar
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131223/14/52b8b39bb2905_m.jpg

I would not suggest muslin on location. I own/use large scale artist-painted muslin backdrops in studio but I don't recommend travel with them unless you know that you have access to a steamer (travel steamers don't generally do the trick). I use a combination of steaming and tension to work with muslin--but that is because I know that I will have both available. Titanium Cloth is easier to use, especially in unknown circumstances, IMO.

Jan 11 17 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tamarack Publications

I guess if cloth is your choice, then I would go with the Westcott X-Drop system.  Small, light and easy to set up.  It looks kind of spindly, but we have had several in use for 2 plus years with no issues.  They stretch the background to a wrinkle free surface.  After a while, a trip trough the washer and dryer clean them up and shrink them enough to be nice an tight once again. (The fleece type cloth ones).  The backgrounds with a pattern(s), we found, work better if you just stuff them in the storage bag as this stops the hard to remove folds and replaces them with a random pattern that can be blurred having the person stand off a little.  The printed vinyl ones need to stay rolled!    The carrying bag the set comes in will actually expands so you can put two backgrounds in it with a little creative folding (rolling).  I like them, others don't...whatever.

Jan 13 17 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Kenny Goldberg

Costa Mesa, California, US

I use collapsible backdrops for headshots all the time! Corporate headshots are my primary business. The collapsible 5 x 6.5 come in many colors, however, I usually use the white or black and what is nice is I have three of them that are white on one side and black on the other. They fold up very easy when you know how, they are so easy to carry and you can just lean them on the wall or get a light stand with clamp on top.

I make an alcove with one in background and one on each side. GREAT as white reflectors. Then I use one light with a huge parabolic umbrella that I shoot into and have sock cover to soften light. The look is perfect for headshots.

https://www.amazon.com/Fovitec-StudioPR … background

Jan 14 17 08:15 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Kenny Goldberg wrote:
I use collapsible backdrops for headshots all the time! Corporate headshots are my primary business. The collapsible 5 x 6.5 come in many colors, however, I usually use the white or black and what is nice is I have three of them that are white on one side and black on the other. They fold up very easy when you know how, they are so easy to carry and you can just lean them on the wall or get a light stand with clamp on top.

I make an alcove with one in background and one on each side. GREAT as white reflectors. Then I use one light with a huge parabolic umbrella that I shoot into and have sock cover to soften light. The look is perfect for headshots.

https://www.amazon.com/Fovitec-StudioPR … background

Thanks!  So and UPDATE to all who have been helping me.  I did a shoot yesterday and I took the middle rod of my background kit and tried to fit it into my bag and it was way too long.  Now I am back to the collapsible background idea since I just don't wanna stick anything on anyone's wall.  Just makes me nervous plus what if they don't have a good wall for me to use cause it's blocked by something and they don't want to move it?  I've had some really picky and particular clients before lol.  I'd rather have the freedom to move around.  Now it's a matter of finding the right one.  I'm gonna force myself to try out my reflector that I have and see if that works.  See if they white shoot through can be both white and gray and look clean enough for me to be ok with it.  If not I'm gonna buy one.  Sorry, my mind is so scattered about this I have spent days thinking about it now.

Jan 14 17 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

V-Flat Travis

Capitol Heights, Maryland, US

Dan Howell wrote:
why not a Titanium Cloth from Backdrop Outlet in a solid color. Then can be folded and packed into any regular sized case. You can tack the to a wall. Tape to a window. Hang from the eve or ceiling. They are generally wrinkle-free, but and wrinkles from packing/storage can be taken out in tumble dryer.

I've traveled with several of their backdrops on location shoots. I suggest also taking or buying gaffers tape and safety pins in case you need to tape to wall. (tape to wall, safety pin tape to background)  Seriously more practical than hauling around stands and cross-bars.

I pictured you as "Denny Manufacturing Freedom Cloth" kind of guy!

Jan 24 17 03:32 pm Link