Forums > Critique > Am I good enough to be signed with an agency?

Model

Amy DeBellis

New York, New York, US

I'm thinking of printing out a physical book of images from the online portfolio I have:

http://akdebellis.weebly.com

and going to castings and calls. Should I bother? (Maybe if I lost some weight it would be better, I'm not sure, I don't want to waste an agency's time)

Jan 27 17 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

I think you have some very beautiful features and a good height for modeling.  Everyone looks good losing a bit of weight, so I say go ahead and work on that; however you have a captivating look just the way you are.  I say go for it.  I think you'll do well.

Jan 27 17 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

DiegoSolari

Milan, Lombardy, Italy

I think the right answer is... there is no right answer.

Maybe someone would sign you if you had a little more weight on, who knows.

Be more in control, confidence!  And if you don't feel that way... act like you do! You re a model, which is basically an actress for stills, so act, act like you feel at the top of your game.

It's true there are many pretty faces around (I don't really see that many but that's what they tell me) and you are one of them. You need to know this, and you need to believe it! Why wouldn't you? You do have mirrors at home, yes??

All you can do is improve on that by delivering a good performance, by being professional and polite and by working hard. These things don't fall on your lap by mistake, that's the movies, the cheesy bad ones usually, work at it and do your best.

Good luck wink

Jan 27 17 02:40 pm Link

Retoucher

HammadsWorks

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

There's nothing you're lacking. Be confident, act/model, and sell yourself as you are. Weight is not an issue for you. And as already said: Different people, different preferences.

Go for it (y)

Jan 27 17 03:48 pm Link

Model

Amy DeBellis

New York, New York, US

. Sorry double post

Jan 27 17 03:53 pm Link

Model

Amy DeBellis

New York, New York, US

By the way I am in NYC....I hear that makes it harder hmm

Jan 27 17 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Go for it. Worst they can do is say 'no thanks.'

Jan 27 17 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Amy DeBellis wrote:
I'm thinking of printing out a physical book of images...
and going to castings and calls...

Amy you have agency stats, compelling editorial facial features (excellent symmetry, high cheekbones etc.) and you're in an ideal market...

An agency will want to see you in person... they want to see how your carry yourself... a.k.a. are you confident, walk with authority, exceptional posture (think ballerina here)...

As for a physical book? Only if the Casting or Open Call mentions it... 
That said, a Zed or Comp Card should be carried (at 5x8 it's easy to bring them with you) and left with every industry contact you meet...

Ok, here's the reality check... NYC is the center of the Fashion Industry in the states...
Competition is fierce as well it should be since major revenues hang in the balance...
Know what your competition brings to the table and match in kind or exceed them.

Here is the Development Board for one of the top agencies in your market.  Your book and/or Comp Card should reflect their visual statement...
Don't even think of submitting imagery that isn't in harmony with what you see on the agencies boards...

Agencies want to see a strong headshot...
https://akdebellis.weebly.com/uploads/7/3/8/8/73881241/eugrstedasefsf.jpg
However sans makeup... so this doesn't work... they aren't keen on styled hair either...
The only exception would be tearsheets (which trump everything)

btw, very few teams actually understand what agencies are looking for in submission imagery.
Please consider only working with teams who are tenured in agency worthy narratives...

Amy DeBellis wrote:
(Maybe if I lost some weight it would be better, I'm not sure, I don't want to waste an agency's time)

Amy you have the height to walk runway... However Fashion Designer's creations are typically size 2 not 4
Use your own discretion here or better yet ask the agency reps at Castings and Open Calls... Only they can provide meaningful guidance on the aforementioned...

Food for thought... Learn how to work your hands... a splayed hand doesn't work and reflects poorly on the model... a hand should be presented sideways both to a viewer in person and on set... thumbs forward... fingers lightly curved...  Best advice is to go through VOGUE or a Wedding Gown LookBook and carefully study how the talent work their hands like ballerinas...

At its zenith fashion modeling is a dynamic multi-dimensional art... it becomes an extension of a model's persona, his/her ability to visualizing a narrative to underscore its meaning and translate concepts into compelling metaphors...  Since there is no script you must emote with your hands... models with tenure understand this... those without instantly appear awkward when viewed in comparison... Agency Bookers can spot tenure by the way they work their hands (both in person and on set)  this is both a craft and an artform...   

Hope this makes sense and/or is helpful...
I wish you all the best on your journey...

Jan 27 17 04:07 pm Link

Model

Amy DeBellis

New York, New York, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
Amy you have agency stats, compelling editorial facial features (excellent symmetry, high cheekbones etc.) and you're in an ideal market...

An agency will want to see you in person... they want to see how your carry yourself... a.k.a. are you confident, walk with authority, exceptional posture (think ballerina here)...

As for a physical book? Only if the Casting or Open Call mentions it... 
That said, a Zed or Comp Card should be carried (at 5x8 it's easy to bring them with you) and left with every industry contact you meet...

Ok, here's the reality check... NYC is the center of the Fashion Industry in the states...
Competition is fierce as well it should be since major revenues hang in the balance...
Know what your competition brings to the table and match in kind or exceed them.

Here is the Development Board for one of the top agencies in your market.  Your book and/or Comp Card should reflect their visual statement...
Don't even think of submitting imagery that isn't in harmony with what you see on the agencies boards...

Agencies want to see a strong headshot...
https://akdebellis.weebly.com/uploads/7/3/8/8/73881241/eugrstedasefsf.jpg
However sans makeup... so this doesn't work... they aren't keen on styled hair either...
The only exception would be tearsheets (which trump everything)

btw, very few teams actually understand what agencies are looking for in submission imagery.
Please consider only working with teams who are tenured in agency worthy narratives...

Amy you have the height to walk runway... However Fashion Designer's creations are typically size 2 not 4
Use your own discretion here or better yet ask the agency reps at Castings and Open Calls... Only they can provide meaningful guidance on the aforementioned...

Food for thought... Learn how to work your hands... a splayed hand doesn't work and reflects poorly on the model... a hand should be presented sideways both to a viewer in person and on set... thumbs forward... fingers lightly curved...  Best advice is to go through VOGUE or a Wedding Gown LookBook and carefully study how the talent work their hands like ballerinas...

At its zenith fashion modeling is a dynamic multi-dimensional art... it becomes an extension of a model's persona, his/her ability to visualizing a narrative to underscore its meaning and translate concepts into compelling metaphors...  Since there is no script you must emote with your hands... models with tenure understand this... those without instantly appear awkward when viewed in comparison... Agency Bookers can spot tenure by the way they work their hands (both in person and on set)  this is both a craft and an artform...   

Hope this makes sense and/or is helpful...
I wish you all the best on your journey...

This is really helpful, thanks! I checked out that link (I can't stop looking at this model in particular, she looks like an elf or a fairy... https://www.dnamodels.com/div/women-dev … 1/#/page/2) and those headshots are definitely what I want to emulate, problem is it's so hard to get good ones ...especially of me...lol

Also I have quite low symmetry - which is why I don't like to take pictures head-on : http://image.farm/image/aLOAB

Jan 27 17 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Yes you are.

Jan 27 17 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

You are over thinking this. Agencies make their decision on based on one simple equation: Will their clients book you enough to make them money? If they think that you will, they will sign you. If not, they won’t. If they see some potential but they aren't quite sold, hopefully they’ll send you home with some areas to focus on.

The opinions of strangers on model mayhem are irrelevant. You need to go to the agencies and see what happens. You won’t be wasting anybody’s time. That’s their job. I know it’s scary but remember, they aren’t judging how pretty you are or how worthwhile you are as a person. They are only interested in the above equation, period.

Good luck.

Jan 28 17 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

You have asked this question several times in threads.   Very few of the people who post in these forums test with agency models.   Could you get signed, sure.   Will you book any work?   Who knows.   I would focus a bit more on commercial level images.   At 20 it may be hard to get any of the mid to large agencies to put in for development for fashion.   Not when they are looking at 15 to 17 year old models.   So try and get a commercial book together.   This usually means doing things like shopping or walking a puppy or doing a sport or Yoga.   Big smiles having fun.   Some agencies are looking at new faces now.   Some may want you for various fashion week shows and events.    http://fashionweekonline.com/event/new- … nce_id=131

Although most may be very busy with everything coming you never know what someone might say or if your look wins someone over.   What are you waiting for?

Jan 28 17 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Yes, you should bother.

Jan 28 17 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

The agencies have their specs on their websites.  Do you meet them (I think you probably do)?  Have you gone to an open call or submitted digitals?  What did the agencies say?

Feb 06 17 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

Oh, and you should pull a few images from your portfolio.  Some are great, but others aren't of the same caliber and are dragging the rest down.  Your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest image.

Feb 06 17 03:03 pm Link

Model

Amy DeBellis

New York, New York, US

A. K. Southard wrote:
Oh, and you should pull a few images from your portfolio.  Some are great, but others aren't of the same caliber and are dragging the rest down.  Your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest image.

Thanks! I've had the flu this past week. But I submitted pics to Wilhelmina and another (I forget which) online and I have a friend who works at EMG Models so I'm going to try to go with her this week.

Which photos are the weak ones?

Feb 06 17 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

This is the best one you have.  But, it has lens flare right on your face.  Nonetheless, it should be your avatar.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/41879066

Your current avatar...it doesn't show much of you.  I can't see your face, and it's not really showing off your figure.  I didn't really see anything that stood out to me.

Feb 06 17 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

You were good enough to approach agencies when you joined MM almost exactly two years ago. You still are.

"Joined:
Feb 21, 2015"

"Half of success is just showing up" -- Woody Allen

Feb 06 17 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

4kw Photography

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Amy DeBellis wrote:
(Maybe if I lost some weight it would be better, I'm not sure, I don't want to waste an agency's time)

You express the personal fear of everybody alive, everyone who performs. Not just models.

and

You are overly considerate, to worry about the agencies more than yourself. You are not wasting any more of their time than your own. You're beautiful. If you want to model, go for it.

Good luck.

Feb 08 17 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

If you don't follow your dreams, you will never attain them.

Feb 08 17 05:29 am Link

Model

Amy DeBellis

New York, New York, US

A. K. Southard wrote:
This is the best one you have.  But, it has lens flare right on your face.  Nonetheless, it should be your avatar.

Your current avatar...it doesn't show much of you.  I can't see your face, and it's not really showing off your figure.  I didn't really see anything that stood out to me.

Thank you--changed wink

Feb 08 17 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

Amy DeBellis wrote:

Thank you--changed wink

Much better!  Now go shoot some more, get some digitals, submit to agencies.

Feb 08 17 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

I think this is the one I meant though:

See how much taller you look in that crop and composition?

Feb 08 17 05:11 pm Link