Forums > General Industry > Supporting itself....

Photographer

4kw Photography

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

I am blown away by some of the talent here (in every category) but how does this sustain itself? With no small expense and the tremendous talents of everyone involved you create great pictures.

Who finds customers for pictures and where?

I'm thinking mostly for photographers, but everyone has this issue, where do you get your pictures shown and or paid for?

Feb 02 17 09:55 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

all mine end up

in boxes in my closet and then eventually the Goodwill  or dumpster upon my passing

Feb 02 17 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Grandart

Chicago, Illinois, US

This is the 'dark'side of the art world. There are by far more talented people than there are jobs available. If your goal is to be an artist, then you may have to deal with the reality that perhaps the only satisfaction you will get from your work is the pleasure of making it. If your goal is to make money, then you may have to re-think your goal;very few artists make a living from their art. Teaching art is often the closest compromise for many people. There is a wonderful book called "Art & Fear" written by David Bayles and Ted Orland that deals with all of this in a realistic way. Don't give up hope!

Feb 02 17 11:28 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

4kw Photography wrote:
Who finds customers for pictures and where?

I'm thinking mostly for photographers, but everyone has this issue, where do you get your pictures shown and or paid for?

I have a Patreon and a print shop. That's how I make my money at this. I'm a model and a self portraitist. Most of my Patreon content and the prints I sell are self portrait work. I do also include sets shot by other photographers (with their permission) and a few prints of me by photographer friends (we split the profits). I also occasionally show in local exhibitions and they sometimes have a print shop as well and I include prints in those too.

As far as shows go, just look for calls for art. There are a few groups on Facebook. As far as selling work online to customers, it's a lot of work. You have to promote. I promote my prints and sets on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Just about every time I share a photo, I link my Patreon. I have it as my link on all of those social medias.

Now, the obvious difference here is that I'm a model. Fans are generally more likely to purchase from models. So if you can find models who are willing to promote and split the profits with you that can be one way to do it. That's not to say photographers can't be successful, but it can be easier if you can get the models to help with the promotions.

Exhibiting art is different (and that's one of my other jobs, I coordinate and produce several local and international exhibitions yearly). Obviously most shows want the photographer to submit as you are the copyright holder. The issue that a lot of photographers run into is that it requires some investment to have the print made and framed properly (any where from $50 or so on up depending on how large the piece is and how much you spend framing it) and you may end up not making all that much though people might see your work and come to buy prints or a larger piece later. If you want some advice on that, send me a PM and I'll give you some tips.

So that's kind of an overview on my take on it. Granted I'm not making that much ($500 or so a month right now), but it's definitely a start.

Feb 02 17 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Sadly, many of the financially successful 'artists' gain fame and money by gaming the system. See, e.g., Prince, who has built an empire on, and been judged in court as, a 'serial infringer.' Or the L.A.-based 'graffiti artist' Robbie Conal who based his business on illegally postering public and private property without permission.

Feb 02 17 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

4kw Photography

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
Sadly, many of the financially successful 'artists' gain fame and money by gaming the system. See, e.g., Prince, who has built an empire on, and been judged in court as, a 'serial infringer.' Or the L.A.-based 'graffiti artist' Robbie Conal who based his business on illegally postering public and private property without permission.

Perhaps, but I don't see that.

I look at every image of a person and accord it some respect - that's a person. The thing is we have a lot of people and another image, even naked, has a great deal of competition. People are swamped. Every digital image is a click away from being duplicated or transferred. There are so many images and videos. The audience only has so much time.

Feb 02 17 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

A photography business isn't like a bakery.  You can't hang out a shingle and people just start walking in and forking over their cash. Our businesses start slow, if at all.

Diffrent people have diffrent viewpoints and no two business start the same way. There's no such thing as a cut and dry formula but here's my take.

You're right that a photographer needs, or at lest should need, a certain skill set. You need to be able to get results and more importantly do so consistently.  Beyond that there is a great deal of confusion about what it takes to earn your keep with a camera. 

1) The most important thing is that clients do not hire the photographer just for their images.  They hire the person that created them.  They hire you for who you are.  They hire a person and more often than not and it has little or nothing to do with your photos.  They have seen your photos before they ever contacted you.  Now they want to meet the man. It's always the man that gets the job. Never the photographer. That's why seemingly random people with only a basic skill set often get the best jobs.  (Myself included.)  I never pretend to be a great photographer or a great artist for the simple reason that I'm not.  I am however good with people.  My clients like me the individual and they come back to me again and again.  It's not because I can produce things that are beyond the scope of any other photographer. 

2) Often building your business has as much to do with luck and being in the right place at the right time as it does with hard work and perseverance.  Nearly all of us will get that big break sooner or later.  When it comes you damn well better preform.  Once you "luck into" your first big break a bigger break will fallow.  Wash, lather, repeat and don't screw up the opportunity.

3) Referrals are your best friend.  Happy clients will refer you to their piers.  Photo editors at magazines will refer you to other photo editors from other magazines when asked about photographers in your area. Corporations are always looking for someone that is easy to work with and compatible with their own view of the world. If you come with a great referral from another company that they do business with they will more likely hire you than not.  In short they trust their friends and colleges more than any promotional information that you can generate and the job will be all but in the bag long before they ever even contact you.

4) Referrals not withstanding a solid web presence is a must.  We do occasionally get cold calls from potential clients looking for a photographer.  Google is the new Yellow Pages and if you can't be found you will never get the job.  These days a solid understanding of SEO or Search Engine Optimization is just another hat that any photographer, or any small business for that mater, must understand.  Learn it.  Start using it.  Get better at it.  SEO is far more important than slick web design.  Don't worry that you are not the SEO guru to start.  "Just Do It!" You'll get more proficient over time.  If you can't be found you're loosing out on a great deal of potential work.  A site without good, solid SEO is just taking up space on a web server and doing you no good. 

5) Work comes slow at the start. It always does, always will and no mater how good you are you're not going change this simple fact of the buisness.  1 job this year.  2 jobs the next year.  15 jobs the year after.  Once you have a good returning client or list of clients hold on to them.  Always do your best to preform as they need and, when ever posable exceed even your own exceptions. 

In short.  As a photographer you are your brand.  Coca-Cola for example is different.  Their brand is their logo and perhaps a bottle of cola with condensation running down it's sides.  This is not the case for you and I.  We are our brand.  Not our logos.  Not our photos.  None of that maters.  It's you and I and the reputations that we develop with our clients. 

Have fun.  Be yourself.  Never fake it.  Your clients can see right through fake and you will loose every time.

Feb 03 17 10:58 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Excellent reply Mr Kidd, your insight could benefit many on this site.

Individual career experiences are as varied as photography styles.

I don't actually  "sell pictures", I sell professional services, and advance through recommendations by commercial clients.

Profitability in that work supports my efforts in personal work for which there is a much smaller market, yet limited edition traditional prints do periodically sell for very good prices to print collectors.

Longevity in this industry is the result of many factors, consistent quality, sophisticated marketing and research, ethical business practices, quality referrals and personal contacts with those in a position to hire you.

Have a realistic evaluation of how your work compares to that of your competitors.

Feb 03 17 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

I need something to do with this afternoon so I took what I wrote above and expanded on it bit.

It's certainly not the be all and end all of earning income with your photos but it's a start.

http://www.barrykidd.com/starting-photography-business/

Feb 05 17 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

Barry Kidd Photography wrote:
5) Work comes slow at the start. It always does, always will and no mater how good you are you're not going change this simple fact of the buisness.

I’m pleased to be able to report that this is no longer the case.

Or at least, not in the UK.

Last summer I had lunch with a young woman who is (I think) 18 and she’s become sought after almost as soon as she started.  From what I see, she always seems to be busy and gets flown all over the world on some great assignments.  She’s also now shooting pop videos.

Not quite so young, the daughter of a good friend, took a set of photographs from (mostly) a train window on a journey across Asia.  With this work, which I believe was the first she ever had published, she won several awards and got asked to join Magnum.  Or so her dad told me.

She’s also been invited to represent GB in the World Photographic Cup.

And although I’m hesitant to name them, I know of two instances of young female fashion photographers becoming successful and well known within months of starting.

The key factor in all the above was IMHO talent.

Feb 06 17 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I run a photo studio that specializes in "Boudoir style"

I very rarely do commercial work, or licence photos to 3rd parties.
I don't sell content to websites or publications.

Most of my income comes from shooting individual people for their own projects & from renting out my photo studio to other photographers/videographers for their projects.

Most of the issues I see in new businesses is lack of direction & lask of actually asking (demanding) the sale.
People put up a website with hundreds of photos with no sales page & no contact info.
Even worse, the "prices page" has a cutsy little paragraph about how you have to contact the studio to get the pricing.

Get your pricing & contact info right out in the open.
http://carlephotography.com/

As for press & media, the best way to get involved in that is to actually GET INVOLVED.
Get your ass to art shows, apply for contests, talk to people, join local social groups, meet people.
Then when you get an email, understand that the person asking you for an interview/images, has a deadline.
Make their job easy. Get them the story they want.

A very common mistake is people try to do everything,
studio work
outdoor location work
boudoir
portraits
weddings
commercial
web content
landscape
still life
products
fine art nudes
pets.....

Find YOUR niche, do it well.
then, find the people who do all the OTHER stuff, and make a list to refer people to.

Example, I do studio work, I don't do weddings & don't shoot locations.
Yet I get asked about weddings & location work several times a month.
I made a list of other local photographers who LOVE doing wedding & location work.
Everytime I get a location/wedding/pet/still product request, I send the client to someone else who specializes in what they need.

Some people think this is leaving money on the table, in fact it is strengthening my brand as well as my professional network. It leaves me time to be hired for what I WANT to do, build fun sets & shoot cool people in my studios.

The most important thing to learn iw WHO to learn from.
MM & other places are FILLED with people who have never gotten a studio off teh ground or never even made a living with photography, those are NOT the people you should be asking advice from.

Go find a successful person doing exactly what you want to do, go find THREE of them.
If you want to shoot remote location destination weddings, go find THREE successful remote location destination wedding photographers & hire them as consultants. go learn from the best.

Feb 06 17 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

For the vast majority of model photographers it is strictly a hobby and they will never see any income.  Almost all paid model photography work is planned and commissioned by a client-magazine, small company, big corporation, advertising agency, etc.

As a professional photographer, I hire models for paid commercial work or models pay me to produce images for their portfolios and agency photos.

Feb 06 17 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

4kw Photography wrote:
...I'm thinking mostly for photographers, but everyone has this issue, where do you get your pictures shown and or paid for?

4kw this question is and has been ubiquitous on Mayhem... And it's likely a very poor platform to query on since as others have pointed out it is primarily a hobbyist portal. 

So you want to generate a revenue stream? Is that in fact what you are asking? Barry Kidd has eloquently addressed this from purely a photographer's perspective... And I certainly commend Barry for sharing his wisdom here, I couldn't have said it better...

However for me, my kit was paid for by assisting other commercial shooters in my market... The lion's share of these gigs came from my membership in the ASMP where I was listed under Find an Assistant.  While the pay was very good the working conditions were (I'm being politically correct here) rather brutal... Pushing 200lbs of kit around on hand-trucks sometimes in 105 degree heat for 14 hours/day demanded all my strength/endurance and then some... Not only that these gigs would be 4 or 5 days in duration...  There are compelling reason's why high value commercial shooters don't hire female assistants...

Keep in mind that this worked for me in my market (Washington DC) albeit every market is different...

But wait, my highest value gigs are in my forte as a bridal makeup artist... Recompense here dwarfs any thing I've ever generated with a camera... Reason is simple... Supply/Demand... Marketing 101 stuff...

Need guidance from those who actual know how to turn a trick? ASMP

Best Advice? Go back to college as get a degree & credentials in the health/medical field... Seriously...
Photography is best for dreamers chasing rainbows... It rarely can be a sustainable career path... only wishful thinking by those who initially choose poorly and find their current work scenario seriously lacking in job satisfaction... Since the barrier to entry is so low the field is over saturated and has been for over a decade...

Nope 4kw best go back to academia and obtain a viable credential in the health sciences... where there is a real need for highly motivated and dedicated gifted talent...

I wish you well on your journey...

Feb 06 17 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
Best Advice? Go back to college as get a degree & credentials in the health/medical field... Seriously...
Photography is best for dreamers chasing rainbows... It rarely can be a sustainable career path... only wishful thinking by those who initially choose poorly and find their current work scenario seriously lacking in job satisfaction... Since the barrier to entry is so low the field is over saturated and has been for over a decade...

Nope 4kw best go back to academia and obtain a viable credential in the health sciences... where there is a real need for highly motivated and dedicated gifted talent...

This is ludicrously negative. 

I’ve been a full time profession photographer now for 36 years and I’ve had a fantastic time (although, I can assure you, I’ve never taken any of it for granted for a moment).

I recently asked two photography tutors at the London College of Communication what proportion of their students went on to get a job in the industry?  They both agreed that it was close to 90%.  Maybe not all actual professional photographers but working within the discipline somewhere.

Feb 06 17 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Derek Ridgers wrote:
This is ludicrously negative. 

I’ve been a full time profession photographer now for 36 years and I’ve had a fantastic time (although, I can assure you, I’ve never taken any of it for granted for a moment).

I recently asked two photography tutors at the London College of Communication what proportion of their students went on to get a job in the industry?  They both agreed that it was close to 90%.  Maybe not all actual professional photographers but working within the discipline somewhere.

Yes, it's a bit harsh but I would say don't quit your day job.  Not right away at any rate.  Waite until your business grows.

Feb 07 17 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Being a photographer is like any other creative endeavor.  The glamorous jobs are held by very few.  Your chance of being a fashion or even well known photographer are slim.  Very slim.  Your chance of being a portrait, wedding or event photographer?  Very good.  I've been everything from a commercial/advertising/product shooter, to portrait shooter (still am) to a corporate event photographer.  Yes, shooting corporate events can be very boring.  But it keeps me very busy.   Hell, I work every single day this week.   Been pretty damn busy all year.  Last year was great. 

Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs said it best "Don't follow your passion.  Chase opportunity."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT1i26RbrhM

Sure, you may want the "cool jobs", but all you really want is to just be a photographer.  I'm a photographer.  No.  I don't shoot  famous models or designer clothes.  I do shoot for some of the largest companies in the world though.  I do,  once in awhile, meet some very famous people and musicians they hire as well.  The other 95% time, it's just shooting boring general sessions, awards, and cocktail receptions.  But I'm still a photographer.  And I am very good at what I do.  I will always have work. 

I can still shoot other things.  But at least I don't have to worry if those things don't bring me any income.  I do shoot a lot of portrait work as well.  That too brings me some nice income.  Will I ever do commercial type stuff again?  Who knows.  If I do I do.  If I don't, no big deal. 

Remember too, if you do this professionally, it's a business.  And like all businesses, it follows all the same requirements to keep a business going.  And the actual CREATION of the product or service is only a small part of the overall process.  And also only a result if you did all the fun "business stuff" before hand.  Marketing, advertising, meetings, negotiating, etc.

Feb 07 17 06:24 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Mike Collins wrote:
Being a photographer is like any other creative endeavor.  The glamorous jobs are held by very few.  Your chance of being a fashion or even well known photographer are slim.  Very slim.  Your chance of being a portrait, wedding or event photographer?  Very good.  I've been everything from a commercial/advertising/product shooter, to portrait shooter (still am) to a corporate event photographer.  Yes, shooting corporate events can be very boring.  But it keeps me very busy.   Hell, I work every single day this week.   Been pretty damn busy all year.  Last year was great. 

Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs said it best "Don't follow your passion.  Chase opportunity."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT1i26RbrhM

Sure, you may want the "cool jobs", but all you really want is to just be a photographer.  I'm a photographer.  No.  I don't shoot  famous models or designer clothes.  I do shoot for some of the largest companies in the world though.  I do,  once in awhile, meet some very famous people and musicians they hire as well.  The other 95% time, it's just shooting boring general sessions, awards, and cocktail receptions.  But I'm still a photographer.  And I am very good at what I do.  I will always have work. 

I can still shoot other things.  But at least I don't have to worry if those things don't bring me any income.  I do shoot a lot of portrait work as well.  That too brings me some nice income.  Will I ever do commercial type stuff again?  Who knows.  If I do I do.  If I don't, no big deal. 

Remember too, if you do this professionally, it's a business.  And like all businesses, it follows all the same requirements to keep a business going.  And the actual CREATION of the product or service is only a small part of the overall process.  And also only a result if you did all the fun "business stuff" before hand.  Marketing, advertising, meetings, negotiating, etc.

I find this to be a very depressing point of view. 

I have almost the opposite point of view about what I do.  But then... I never particularly wanted to be a photographer in the first place.

If I had a job that was boring 95% of the time I’d do something else.  Life is way too short.

Feb 07 17 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:

I find this to be a very depressing point of view. 

I have almost the opposite point of view about what I do.  But then... I never particularly wanted to be a photographer in the first place.

If I had a job that was boring 95% of the time I’d do something else.  Life is way too short.

The gig itself is boring.  Business people talking business stuff.  Or partying it up.  I still manage to try and create interesting images.  Get the "have to" stuff then try other things to bring out my creativity. It's not depressing.  Not working is a lot more depressing.

Point I'm trying to make is at least I still make great money with my cameras, lights, etc.  Trust me, I hear famous musicians who get tired of playing the same damn songs over and over again.  SO they find other outlets to keep their creativity alive.  Do what you have to do to survive then do what you want to do to keep your sanity.  I don't see how a comedian comes up with a set and then has to repeat over and over and over again, night after night.  They get paid, that's why.  At least with my work it's a different company.  Different hotel/resort.  Parties.  Sometimes concerts with very well know acts.  Yes, the general session speeches get old.  The meetings are boring.  But it pays pretty damn good.

Feb 07 17 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Mike Collins wrote:
The gig itself is boring.  Business people talking business stuff.  Or partying it up.  I still manage to try and create interesting images.  Get the "have to" stuff then try other things to bring out my creativity. It's not depressing.  Not working is a lot more depressing.

Point I'm trying to make is at least I still make great money with my cameras, lights, etc.  Trust me, I hear famous musicians who get tired of playing the same damn songs over and over again.  SO they find other outlets to keep their creativity alive.  Do what you have to do to survive then do what you want to do to keep your sanity.  I don't see how a comedian comes up with a set and then has to repeat over and over and over again, night after night.  They get paid, that's why.  At least with my work it's a different company.  Different hotel/resort.  Parties.  Sometimes concerts with very well know acts.  Yes, the general session speeches get old.  The meetings are boring.  But it pays pretty damn good.

Obviously I can’t take issue with how you make your money or the level of satisfaction you get from what you do.  That would be ridiculous.

Only the defeatist element in what you originally posted and - to a degree - that shown in the Mike Rowe video.

We can’t all have riches and success, that’s true. 

And there is a lot of truth in what Mike Rowe says.

But I would argue that it’s very anti-aspirational. 

Obviously not everyone is talented at what they chose to do - 93% of the portfolios on Model Mayhem are a testament to that fact.

For most people, the journey is the fun part not the arrival.  And if you can ever find your true talent, so much the better.

Leo Burnett famously once said “When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.”

Somehow, I don’t think he was talking about a career as a septic tank cleaner.

Feb 09 17 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Mike Collins wrote:

I shoot mostly corporate style work as well.  More specifically political photography.  I shoot a good deal for congressmen, senators and an occasional judge.  It's not exactly a path that I chose but a path that chose me.  In sort it's the route that my business took and type clients that I started building.  Referrals work that way.  People always refer you to their coliegus.  My referrals came from politicians.

Though political photography isn't what I thought I would be doing even 12 years ago it's far from boring. In fact is a great deal of fun.  Much more fun than I would have thought before I got involved with it.  I certainly can't complain but perhaps it's all way we make of it.  Hell if I know?  I wouldn't change things.

MM?  I'm just here for fun. No other reason.

Feb 09 17 02:55 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if you find a way to profit from "art" let me know. i don't have the answer. best i could do was break even (income - expenses = 0 which means my hourly wage was also 0)

if you get $500 for shooting a wedding and put in 40 hours then that's $12.50/hour. but once you subtract expenses you might find that you are working for free (or paying them for the pleasure of photographing their wedding).

Feb 14 17 10:28 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

This is a question for many unable to answer it.

Amateur work is fine,  but rarely supported by professional marketing efforts and therein is the problem. Print careers are built on talent, strategy, contacts, supportive family, in person work reviews, residing where the work is, peer to peer recommendations, determination, great communication skills and a bit of luck as well.

The work can't be merely supporting the costs, it must be very profitable as it is a very expensive pursuit.

Wealthy photographers usually start off wealthy.

Mar 02 17 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

The very first question you should be asking, before you even get into 'how to get gigs' is "what kind of photographer do I want to be?" Almost every answer you'll get assumes you want the same thing as the person giving you the answer, and that's a recipe for lots of really bad advice.

You mentioned art ... Do you want to be an artist? I don't mean do you want to take artistic photos - I mean is your goal to make prints that will hang in a gallery? Do you want to be a photojournalist or a documenter?  Is your goal to be an exceptionally creative working pro? Or is your goal to pay your bills with a camera? All four of those are different career paths.

If you get really successful, you'll eventually be at least two of those things in the end - but you need to start with one of them.

If you're after being an artist, I would apply for shows like crazy. I make it a point to apply for at least one show a month - more, if there are shows with free entry that interest me. But most of the good ones with prestige or good prizes cost $30-$60 to enter, so there's a line item for entries in my monthly budget. What you'll find is that the more shows you have on your CV, the easier it is to get into good shows.

If you do run that path, the next question is what kind of artist do you want to be? Do you want to make beautiful, literal images like Ansel Adams? Do you want to do crazy shit like Araki? Do you want to piss people off like Prince? That will tell you where to apply - most shows and venues have a style. They may go outside that style sometimes (even MoMA shows Adams from time to time), but a venue in your genre is a lot more likely to show your work, and falling in with that crowd will put you in touch with people that can give you much more useful feedback than people that do different work.

Photography is(or can be) an art form, so that's always potentially there .... But in order to plot a course of world domination, you need to start by figuring out your goals. If you had your way, what would you do with your camera?

Mar 02 17 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

goofus  wrote:
all mine end up

in boxes in my closet and then eventually the Goodwill  or dumpster upon my passing

QFT.

Mar 03 17 10:59 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Mike Collins wrote:

That's a great explanation.  I love being a wedding photographer.  I can't explain it to most people because showing up to a stressful day and getting a great job done is a skill.  It's partial technical but mostly a social skill.   I also love being in business.   I hire people I enjoy being around and love to work with.  Yes it's the same thing week after week but I've had other jobs where I worked with people I didn't like or was physically difficult.

Mar 04 17 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

martin b wrote:

That's a great explanation.  I love being a wedding photographer.  I can't explain it to most people because showing up to a stressful day and getting a great job done is a skill.  It's partial technical but mostly a social skill.   I also love being in business.   I hire people I enjoy being around and love to work with.  Yes it's the same thing week after week but I've had other jobs where I worked with people I didn't like or was physically difficult.

+100  Social skills are soooo important in just about any  photography job and probably what will get you more jobs.  We were hired these past two days to provide "quick" headshots to new residents and a huge dermatology trade show.  All the big names in skin care, both commercially and medically were there.  So many of the residents (new Dr.s) thanked us for being their since they were just starting out and needed a good headshot and this was so convenient.  But they also thanked me so much for being so patient with them.  We had to do many over since they could view on the spot and didn't like something.  Mostly they're hair.  We provided a MUA. 

THAT part of my job as a corporate photographer I enjoy a lot.  It's more personal and I'm really helping someone.  Probably why I get hired a lot for that kind of work.  The other stuff can be boring and it can be interesting.  Depends on the company.  But I give my all to anyone who hires me and do the very best I can.  The client deserves the best you can give them.

Mar 05 17 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I met Grandart aka Peter LeGrand years ago.   He's a stand up guy.  Years ago being a good pro shooter meant really knowing your stuff.   Advertising in the Creative Black Book.   Meeting art directors from ad agencies.   Building a good reputation and usually working as an assistant for someone.   Today we have talents who within a year of shooting are being hired for national campaigns.   What's changed?   Today we have Instagram, Facebook and websites where people can connect to those who hire around the world.   Today a decent used DLSR can be bought for $300.00, coupled with a laptop and copy of CS and away you go.

Are there still folks who do well, sure.   However you only have to look at the decline of print to see where this is going.   Several years past a product shot was bought from a MM for $30.00.   It appeared on Time.   This an image that would go for well over a grand 20 years ago.   Today on Facebook a photographer talked about a model who wanted new shots in dresses from a friends boutique and wanted to be paid to do them.    Don't get me wrong.   There will always be those who do well and make a good living but the pool of talent has become more crowded and the paid work less available or worse paying very little.

Mar 05 17 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I met Grandart aka Peter LeGrand years ago.   He's a stand up guy.  Years ago being a good pro shooter meant really knowing your stuff.   Advertising in the Creative Black Book.   Meeting art directors from ad agencies.   Building a good reputation and usually working as an assistant for someone.   Today we have talents who within a year of shooting are being hired for national campaigns.   What's changed?   Today we have Instagram, Facebook and websites where people can connect to those who hire around the world.   Today a decent used DLSR can be bought for $300.00, coupled with a laptop and copy of CS and away you go.

Are there still folks who do well, sure.   However you only have to look at the decline of print to see where this is going.   Several years past a product shot was bought from a MM for $30.00.   It appeared on Time.   This an image that would go for well over a grand 20 years ago.   Today on Facebook a photographer talked about a model who wanted new shots in dresses from a friends boutique and wanted to be paid to do them.    Don't get me wrong.   There will always be those who do well and make a good living but the pool of talent has become more crowded and the paid work less available or worse paying very little.

That's true enough.

When I was a boy my big dream was to shoot for NatGeo.  You know? Shooting crystal blue glaciers in the Antarctic this week and shooting exotic animals on the Serengeti Plain a week later.  (Sigh. It never happened.)

In this digital age NatGeo has print run of only 6.1 million per month.  That's down from over 12 million in the 1980's. They also let much of their staff go.  These days they typically only pay a creative fee of $400 plus licensing fee

A few months ago I was contacted by NatGeo for the first time in my life.  I was actually quite excited to be contacted by the people at my "dream job" They wanted to license an image for the magazine plus digital rights for the PDF version.

The quote that I sent them was fair market for the size and usage and distrabution.  I didn't over price or try to stiff them.

They never contacted me back.  They never tried to negotiate.  (Which is almost unheard of. Almost every potential client will try and negotiate if a quote is outside of their budget.)  I can only assume that they just weren't interested. 

Nope.  My excitement was short lived.

Mar 05 17 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Barry Kidd Photography wrote:

That's true enough.

When I was a boy my big dream was to shoot for NatGeo.  You know? Shooting crystal blue glaciers in the Antarctic this week and shooting exotic animals on the Serengeti Plain a week later.  (Sigh. It never happened.)

In this digital age NatGeo has print run of only 6.1 million per month.  That's down from over 12 million in the 1980's. They also let much of their staff go.  These days they typically only pay a creative fee of $400 plus licensing fee

A few months ago I was contacted by NatGeo for the first time in my life.  I was actually quite excited to be contacted by the people at my "dream job" They wanted to license an image for the magazine plus digital rights for the PDF version.

The quote that I sent them was fair market for the size and usage and distrabution.  I didn't over price or try to stiff them.

They never contacted me back.  They never tried to negotiate.  (Which is almost unheard of. Almost every potential client will try and negotiate if a quote is outside of their budget.)  I can only assume that they just weren't interested. 

Nope.  My excitement was short lived.

A writer who is published on Amazon wrote me about an image.   The shot was on another site and she tracked me down.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25083435    It didn't have the watermark.   I gave her a what I thought was a great rate.      She declined and when I asked for what she was willing to pay never replied again.   I wasn't being greedy and I had to pay the model something.   I've had small stores offer me clothing in exchange for work.   I can't wear women's clothing.   I don't have the legs for them.   Others have said, I will be credited.   Wonderful but I can't eat credits.
Its a whole new day.   You have what are actually good shooters PAYING to be published.   

However its a sellers market for a smart model.   A model who hustles and networks can easily make a extra $500.00 to $1,500.00 on amateur sites like this.

Mar 05 17 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Randall Holden Photography

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

This is a fascinating thread.  Mr. Kidd has some great insight.  Having been in the publishing/print business for the last twenty-nine-years and having done photography as a hobby since I was a teenager in the late 1970's, I can assure you, when it comes to making money at photography, I am a hardcore pessimist.  This is something I do because I enjoy it, not because I entertain any delusions of ever making money at it.  If I can do what I enjoy, get a little money out of it and have others find pleasure in it also, that's good enough for me. 

I've been in the magazine/book/newspaper business since 1988, I can assure you, print is dying quickly and outside of advertising agencies, nobody's ever paid a photographer (or model) squat for doing what they do.  Even today, we can get models to spend hours posing for free just because they want to be on the cover of a magazine, and if I don't do the photos myself, we typically only pay $75 to $100 to the photographer - if we use the photos.  I've done pics for the newspapers in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, I've never been paid more than $40 for anything they've published.  I've taken stills for several movies that filmed down here in Louisiana, and that was okay money, but still, if you broke it down as an hourly wage, the kids at McDonald's would still be making more. 

Well-established wedding and senior photography studios that date back thirty or more years seem to be the only things staying afloat down here as stand-alone photography, and even at that, the turnover rate for photographers in those studios is pretty high because they don't pay them much. 

Call me a pessimist, I prefer to think of it as life experience and being a realist.  Yes, some people make money in photography, but the ratio is about the same as those who make it big selling hit singles on the radio as compared to the myriad of equally talented musicians who will never make it past playing in cover bands in their home town.  You do this because you enjoy it.  If you're in this to make money, you're in the wrong line of work.  If you enjoy it, by all means continue and have fun, but don't expect to buy a new Maserati in a couple of years because of what you can do with that Nikon or Canon. 

Be well!

Mar 06 17 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Randall Holden Photography wrote:
I've been in the magazine/book/newspaper business since 1988, I can assure you, print is dying quickly and outside of advertising agencies, nobody's ever paid a photographer (or model) squat for doing what they do.  Even today, we can get models to spend hours posing for free just because they want to be on the cover of a magazine, and if I don't do the photos myself, we typically only pay $75 to $100 to the photographer - if we use the photos.  I've done pics for the newspapers in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, I've never been paid more than $40 for anything they've published.  I've taken stills for several movies that filmed down here in Louisiana, and that was okay money, but still, if you broke it down as an hourly wage, the kids at McDonald's would still be making more.

You do realise there is a wide world out there beyond Baton Rouge and New Orleans don’t you?  What about New York, Paris, London or Rome?  Can you similarly assure me that no one is making any money from photography there too?

What makes you assume that because you’re not making decent money from photography, then no one else is either?  I have no wish to belittle your career choices and if you earn a living at something you love, fair enough, no argument there.  But the idea that successful professional photographers are all earning a pittance these days is ludicrous.

Mar 07 17 06:05 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Fotopia wrote:
I don't actually  "sell pictures", I sell professional services

This.

Mar 07 17 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Randall Holden Photography

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:
You do realise there is a wide world out there beyond Baton Rouge and New Orleans don’t you?  What about New York, Paris, London or Rome?  Can you similarly assure me that no one is making any money from photography there too?

What makes you assume that because you’re not making decent money from photography, then no one else is either?  I have no wish to belittle your career choices and if you earn a living at something you love, fair enough, no argument there.  But the idea that successful professional photographers are all earning a pittance these days is ludicrous.

Read my last paragraph.  I didn't say "no one" is making any money, I simply stated it's about the same ratio as those who are making millions selling music as opposed to the masses who are equally talented but never make a dime off it playing in cover bands.  I'm not in Rome, or Milano or Paris - my day job is here in Louisiana - that option isn't open to me, and even if it were, I guarantee you there are 1,000 photographers in Rome not making a dime for every one that's actually able to pay his rent using his camera.

The term you use, "successful professional photographers" speaks volumes.  Canon and Nikon sell millions of cameras every year.  There are thousands upon thousands of profiles here on MM. There are probably a dozen photography studios in Baton Rouge alone.  How many "successful professional photographers" bought a new BMW simply off their work with a camera in the last two or three years?  Maybe 300 to 500?  Worldwide?  All I'm saying is, the odds are highly stacked against making money with this field - do it because you enjoy it and hope to recover some of your costs.  Not trying to be harsh, again, I'm a realist (no camera pun intended).  Be well.

Mar 08 17 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Randall Holden Photography wrote:
Read my last paragraph.  I didn't say "no one" is making any money, I simply stated it's about the same ratio as those who are making millions selling music as opposed to the masses who are equally talented but never make a dime off it playing in cover bands.  I'm not in Rome, or Milano or Paris - my day job is here in Louisiana - that option isn't open to me, and even if it were, I guarantee you there are 1,000 photographers in Rome not making a dime for every one that's actually able to pay his rent using his camera.

The term you use, "successful professional photographers" speaks volumes.  Canon and Nikon sell millions of cameras every year.  There are thousands upon thousands of profiles here on MM. There are probably a dozen photography studios in Baton Rouge alone.  How many "successful professional photographers" bought a new BMW simply off their work with a camera in the last two or three years?  Maybe 300 to 500?  Worldwide?  All I'm saying is, the odds are highly stacked against making money with this field - do it because you enjoy it and hope to recover some of your costs.  Not trying to be harsh, again, I'm a realist (no camera pun intended).  Be well.

I honestly don’t know where you are getting your numbers from?  There are 1800 pro photographers in the UK’s AOP and the membership fees are set at a level that, I imagine, would put off anyone that was simply making squat, as you earlier put it.

Chances are, neither of us know the real numbers.

But the reason why it’s important to give an accurate picture is, if we as senior professionals are too negative about what we do and it’s potential rewards, then it will have a demotivating effect on students and any new blood coming into the industry.

I agree that one does need to be a realist but I just don’t think it’s quite as hard to make decent money from photography as you claim.

Mar 09 17 04:26 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I used to think things out of reach were just that. Then I immersed myself in what inspires me & simply 'got better'. Then I was immersed with people who were on a different level of 'success' than me. Keep repeating the same process over and over and the 'dream' becomes more attainable.

Mar 09 17 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

It depends how you define success. There are those who call themselves professionals but their work is mediocre at best.  Can they make a living with photography? Some will and some won't. It depends on the skills of other photographers in their areas.

Then there are those that are proficient at product photography or even weddings and senior pictures. They are on this site shooting models both fashion and nude, but those genres seem to elude them and they are better off shooting weddings and senior pictures. So being professional doesn't always mean that they are exceptional model photographers.

And then there are those who are working hard to be the best photographers and have real talent. They may make money off their photography but that is not their primary goal. Like Vivian Meijer they have skill and passion and create images for the love of art.

Then there are those on this site who have real talent by what they do. Age or experience often doesn't matter. Some people want to hustle the money and that's fine others simply just want to create.

Either is fine. I would never equate making money as the sole indicator of success.

Mar 09 17 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Most photographers don't do very well because they are terrible at business.  Most really do think if you take great pictures, people will just line up.  Really?  Look at some of the people out there, especially the speakers and the ones hyping how well they do.  Is their work so good that no one can compete with them.  No.  They just know how to market, advertise and get more jobs than you.  I see A LOT of great images on this site.  Doesn't mean those people are making decent money. 

My first job out of school was assisting one of the best commercial guys around.  Had very high end clients.  Especially in the food genre.  Shot for Darden who owns Olive Garden and at the time, Red Lobster.  But he also had some other very large accounts.  When we weren't shooting, we were working on marketing material.  Creating new images to put on postcards to send to every body on his list of agencies, designers, and anyone else he thought would be a good client.  We did this every single month.  Non stop.  What do most do out there?  Most?  A webpage.  That's it.  "Here I am.  Hire me." 

I freelance a lot now.  Mainly for one studio here in town that does only corporate events.  They keep me busy.  The owner is constantly out there meeting with current clients and setting up meetings for hopefully new ones.  It's non stop.  We are up a little from last year.  And last year was a pretty good one at that. 

Yes, photography has changed.  And if you don't change with it, you will not survive.  If you do not do the work, you will not survive.  It's not easy.  But don't blame everything out there because YOU are not doing well.  Others are.  You may have to do jobs you perhaps didn't want to do when you got started.  I never though I'd be a corporate event shooter.  I have a commercial/advertising and portrait background.  Who knew?

Mar 09 17 06:32 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Making money for your art doesn't detract from any altruistic beauty of the craft. I think some are under the impression that making money means you've sold out or just a marketing whiz.

I also believe there are extremely talented people that make -0- and produce absolutely lovely work.

It's great if one doesn't need to be concerned with $ yet some love working, doing what they love and making a living from it.

Mar 09 17 06:51 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

I got some interesting partners along the way.

Its a lot of fun and if you actually are making money a lot more established models will work with you for free, even in nude outcomes, lowering your overhead costs. Although I generally don't shoot any kind of trade though, too much negotiating up front and too much obligation to deliver some photos in a short/any time period. My time is more valuable than the 3-figure deals that models need argue over to pay rent, so it is worthwhile for me to just offer a decent rate.

Mar 09 17 08:07 am Link