Forums > Newbie Forum > Problems:

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

Los Angeles, California, US

I've started, began, with this site and a few others.  I've been here for several months now.  I've answered every Casting Call for TFP Photographers that I'd thought I could offer a service to, 15-20+.  I've had minimal replies and less takers, being 1 on this site.  I know there exists a lack of confidence for those unknown.  I want to accelerate the experience of me to those in this industry. 

I need work for a few reasons; 1) Food and Water. 2) Build a career with something I love.  3) Feed my soul.  Currently I'm only offering TFP for the work I provide.  I've traveled in a 100+ mile radius to attend the locations.  I have supplied fully edited images in 1-3 days.  I've given 15-30 images to each trustee that has sat for me. 

Examples of my work:
https://500px.com/porstjptravelerjarrett1
https://www.instagram.com/jarrett_porst/
https://www.modelmayhem.com/4021225

What, am I not doing that will open the valve to gaining a sought after following?

Feb 09 17 11:35 am Link

Photographer

DiegoSolari

Milan, Lombardy, Italy

Hello Jarrett,

I won't pretend to have a magic wand or the perfect solution that will work just for you. I have an opinion on what you could improve on and I will share that with you.

First things first, what you have posted on MM as a portfolio is not the same as what you have on say 500px. Surely you are limited but that gives you the chance to post ONLY the very best, and so you should. I (personal opinion) feel you could replace a few of the shots with better ones. Silly example: same model same outfit almost same shot, post 1, get rid of the rest. I will be honest, though some of your pictures are really awesome, like the one I commented on Instagram, I feel they are mixed with some shots that are just average, and I would remove those from MM and from 500px.

This second part is... debatable at least, but I would stop doing TF work. I think you re good enough to get paid. Start charging! If you feel a model gives you the chance to expand your port in a positive way, and you want to do a shoot in TF go for it, but don't waste your time and energy after every TF job out there.

Hope this helps!

Feb 09 17 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

You've probably done this already, but if not, or if not recently, you might use the browse button in the toolbar at the top of the page and send a nicely worded PM suggesting a possible shoot with the models whose look and portfolio interest you.  There are apparently some 900 within 50 miles of your location and some 5000 within 100 miles.  Since you appear to be willing to travel further for the purpose, you could expand your opportunities by simply targeting other communities on a rotating basis as you get positive responses.

Many will be no longer modeling and many more will feel (however rightly or wrongly) that their portfolios are good enough to demand cash on the barrelhead whenever they model, and there are others who appear to be planning a career in equine dentistry given how often they insist on looking a gift horse in the mouth, but hopefully there will be enough interested to make it worth your while.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Feb 10 17 07:20 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

TF sucks, to be honest.  If you read the forums you will find many threads where the model complain that the photographers is not delivering the promised photos in a reasonable amount of time.  You will find other posts where the model says she got useless, poorly edited, and/or pedestrian images that do not benefit their portfolios.  You may be a good photographer and able to deliver good photos timely to a beginner model, but beginners are doing this to get paid, even if they don't have any abilities.  There are few that recognize their need to grow and improve.  Not only will they want cash, they will also want images.  Don't be surprised by that demand.  Experienced models won't do much TF unless you have established a tremendous portfolio and a reputation for delivering good images promptly.  Also, many models have thousands of images of themselves.  Many photographers will give the models images, even after paying them for a shoot.  They don't need more images and they can't eat them or monetize them.  Another option is to offer them full useage rights on the photos so that they can monetize them.  Many people treat TF as "free" rather than an equitable trade in value.  Photographers have the attitude that they have lots of money in equipment and will spend more time, so they feel they can short change the model. 

Those that hire models on MM are often hobby photographers that will pay the fee the models demand, and a few that are hiring models that have clients who are paying the modeling fee.

The questions is:  What are you intending to accomplish on MM?  If it is portfolio building, you can do that for trade but it will take time.  You might as well ask friends, relatives, and acquaintances to help as to accomplish it through MM.  If you are interested in building a portfolio with nudes and boudoir shots, you may have to buckle down and pay some MM models.   You can find some price negotiation available.

Good luck.

Feb 13 17 07:30 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

waiting for them to come to you

go browse your area (w/i 100 miles) and start asking models

also..I've been out your way and they is a lot of unique landscapes/ locations around.. I would go scout out places  and use it to your benefit..  then YOU could be the guy to go to for those shots

Feb 13 17 11:28 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

in order to get started i paid some traveling models (who were great to work with) and eventually i was able to do TF with local models. i also networked locally and got to know some photographers and models.

the availability of TF models seemed to vary by year. some years were better than others.

Feb 13 17 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Jarrett Porst wrote:
I need work for a few reasons; 1) Food and Water...

It sounds like you want to build a business to support yourself. I'd suggest courses, books, seminars or classes in how to build a business. One common goal on this road is a college degree, something like a Masters Degree in Business Administration.

Feb 13 17 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

Feb 14 17 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

WOW GUYS!  Thanks for the input.  I'll make some changes and continue to reach out.  Often seeking out possibles with a DM/PM.  I'm certain it's a trust thing.

Feb 14 17 10:28 am Link