Forums > Critique > Portfolio Critiques & Some Suggestions

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

I see a lot of requests for critiques of entire portfolios.  The issues are usually the same, and apply to models and photographers equally.  So allow me to offer some general advice on portfolios.

MAKE YOUR AVATAR AWESOME:  This is the first thing people see, and we know first impressions matter.  Make your avatar the best image you have, that also represents the work you are trying to book.  It's fine to make this a teaser, but do that judiciously.

LIMIT YOURSELF:  The portfolio is meant to be the best of your work--not a catalog. Model Mayhem allows up to 15 images for free accounts, and that is more than enough.  Often, I see people trying to fill those slots and degrading their portfolio with filler (I'm guilty of this, too).  When I see a portfolio with 200 images, I just leave.  In fact, 36 or more starts to increase my blood pressure in the same way a call from a telemarketer does.  A bunch of categories doesn't help either--I think it makes it worse.

Please don't use more than one look from the same shoot.  I see a lot of models use all the photos from a single shoot--same outfit and locations.  It's boring and shows a lack of experience.  If that is all you have, then use two photos.  One headshot and another that shows your physique.  Right now, I have two images from the same shoot in  my portfolio.  I wish I didn't, but they are different looks for the model.  My portfolio is weighted towards sailing yachts, but that is a premium service I offer and I need to highlight it (it's my niche).

MAKE IT COHESIVE:  Don't mix in glamour with lifestyle with nudes.  Find your niche and strengths and sell them.  I do photograph high school seniors, an occasional family, corporate and actor's headshots.  I'll never book one of those sessions from MM, so I don't display that portfolio here.  I get most of those jobs through referrals or direct marketing, so my online marketing is geared towards agency work and aspiring models.  Here is an example of what I do:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/543837efe4b09fd7d72deac0/583f91cbb3db2b4208bf8db9/589f51fbf5e231ba9df73667/1486836300718/Promo.png?format=2500w

All of the models are agency-signed and two are pageant competitors. The theme should be apparent. If it isn't, please let me know.  Now, I do make a mistake of using two images from the same shoot.  But again, that is my niche.

KEEP IT FRESH:  I try to keep it within three years.  Photographers might have a signature image they can run for a while, but models can't do that.  Keep your images updated, which means you have to constantly be shooting.  That doesn't mean shoot with anyone, though.  Make sure the images represent your latest tan, hair color and length, weight, toning, etc.  At the same time, if you do a shoot that sucks, you don't have to post those images just because they are recent.

Here's the kicker to keeping it fresh.  I don't often look at MM portfolios anymore.  I usually go to Instagram, where people post more, and it is usually recent photos.  Even with a 1000+ posts, the new is always at the top.  MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LINK TO YOUR IG!  But, at the same time, make sure your IG is cohesive in theme if you are using it to market yourself. 

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE WTF I SAY?  You shouldn't.  But, I've been an MM member for a while.  Many of the new models were probably in kindergarten when I joined, and weren't even born when I picked up my first camera.  I've photographed some pretty awesome models, many of whom have been published in major magazines and ad campaigns.

Any questions or thoughts?

Feb 11 17 10:51 am Link