Forums > General Industry > Playboy magazine returns to displaying nudity.

Photographer

Palssonphoto

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Dunkin Donuts: "Lets not offer donuts anymore".

Mar 07 17 05:28 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that their top photographers were independent contractors.

I know it to be true. I am very privileged to know a photographer (whom I will not name) that worked/works contract for them.
A few other magazines as well.

G Reese

Mar 07 17 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

So how did that no nudes thing work out?  (not well -33%)

Now they are trying the -- ditch the low cost print subscribers and give them digital for the same price -- concept.
     (I bet that won't work either - print subscribers want a printed copy)

Playboy ditching its oldest subscribers in bid to boost profits
http://nypost.com/2017/03/17/playboy-di … t-profits/

"For the first few months of the switch, newsstand sales did inch up, but by the second half, the numbers were plunging dramatically. Single-copy sales fell 45 percent, to 18,600, for the six-month period ending Dec. 31, 2016, compared with a year earlier, while overall circulation tumbled 33 percent."

--- Sales in the 70's were in the 7,000,000 range

Mar 20 17 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Dario Western

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Sadly, the economics have changed.  In its heyday, I imagine that Playboy was one of the most expensive magazines to produce -- they hired top talent (photographers, writers, cartoonist, playmates, etc.), they had high production values, and they paid these people top dollar.  In today's Internet age, I wonder whether they can generate sufficient sales (ads & circulation) to be able to maintain their traditionally high standards.

Remember -- many of Playboy's competition (e.g. Penthouse) are no longer around.

Penthouse is still going in Australia.  Playboy was discontinued in 1998.  There are two weekly magazines People and Picture which feature nude models.

Mar 30 17 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Michael Bots wrote:
.. Single-copy sales fell 45 percent, to 18,600, for the six-month period ending Dec. 31, 2016, compared with a year earlier...

WoW!!!
That's an extremely low number.
Is that 18k for the whole six months (3000/month) or is it 18k average per month?
Either way it's an absurdly low number.   I worked at a local biweekly magazine that distributed 25,000-50,000 news stand issues per month and that was barely sustainable.  A national magazine with less distribution... probably time to call it quits.

Mar 31 17 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
WoW!!!
That's an extremely low number.
Is that 18k for the whole six months (3000/month) or is it 18k average per month?
Either way it's an absurdly low number.   I worked at a local biweekly magazine that distributed 25,000-50,000 news stand issues per month and that was barely sustainable.  A national magazine with less distribution... probably time to call it quits.

"Monthly" issue news stand sales number   (but it's now only a bi-monthly)
    Bulk of circulation was always by subscription  ---
down to about 521,000 as of December 2016 and down by half from 2014.

A huge drop from the 70's peak of over 7,000,000

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/new-yor … 1981654795

Mar 31 17 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

It will be OK as long as they still run their interesting articles.  After all people read it only for the articles.

Apr 04 17 12:33 pm Link