Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Saving Layer Styles

Retoucher

Alyssa June Retouch

Howell, New Jersey, US

I want to make a bunch of layer styles that I can save within PS and easily use on future images.

I found one way to do it - saving them as a new layer style - but in order to use them I have to duplicate the original layer (or a flattened image) and add it TO the layer.

This way isn't ideal - Id rather have them the way actions are - Problem is I'm not sure how to create them as actions because I play around with setting until I find something I like so the action could be too long?

If any of this makes sense - I'd appreciate some input!

Feb 14 17 08:35 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

You can create an action which adds a new layer the way your style would expect it.

Optionally you can create additional actions which run the "New layer" action and then apply a particular layer style from your presets.

Feb 14 17 10:09 am Link

Retoucher

Alyssa June Retouch

Howell, New Jersey, US

anchev wrote:
You can create an action which adds a new layer the way your style would expect it.

Optionally you can create additional actions which run the "New layer" action and then apply a particular layer style from your presets.

Yes, I know about actions. I was just wondering if there was a different way of saving a layer style . The way I get the end result for my layer style is by playing around with the color settings for a while so that would result in a long action.

Feb 14 17 11:35 am Link

Retoucher

Alyssa June Retouch wrote:
so that would result in a long action.

No. It won't. Maybe I didn't explain correctly.

1. Create your styles and save them as presets (e.g. STYLE 1, 2 3 ...)
2. Create an action which creates the new layer the way you want it. (let's call it LAYER ACTION)
3. Create a new action called ACTION STYLE 1 and while recording it:

3a. Play LAYER ACTION (this will create the new layer)
3b. Apply style preset STYLE 1 to the newly created layer.
3c. Stop recording

4. Create similarly ACTION STYLE 2, 3, 4...

In the end you will have actions for each of your styles and they will all have only 2 steps - new layer and apply style preset.

Feb 14 17 02:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Alyssa June Retouch

Howell, New Jersey, US

anchev wrote:

No. It won't. Maybe I didn't explain correctly.

1. Create your styles and save them as presets (e.g. STYLE 1, 2 3 ...)
2. Create an action which creates the new layer the way you want it. (let's call it LAYER ACTION)
3. Create a new action called ACTION STYLE 1 and while recording it:

3a. Play LAYER ACTION (this will create the new layer)
3b. Apply style preset STYLE 1 to the newly created layer.
3c. Stop recording

4. Create similarly ACTION STYLE 2, 3, 4...

In the end you will have actions for each of your styles and they will all have only 2 steps - new layer and apply style preset.

I think the problem with that is in order to have a layer style work it needs to be used on a layer and not an empty one.  So I would have to have the action either flatten the image and all it's layers or create one compacted layer with everyone and run it on that?

Feb 15 17 08:14 am Link

Retoucher

Alyssa June Retouch wrote:
So I would have to have the action either flatten the image and all it's layers or create one compacted layer with everyone and run it on that?

Your LAYER ACTION can be:

1. New layer (empty one)
2. Stamp visible (Alt+Ctrl+Shift+E)

On that you can apply a style preset.

Feb 15 17 08:26 am Link

Retoucher

Alyssa June Retouch

Howell, New Jersey, US

anchev wrote:

Your LAYER ACTION can be:

1. New layer (empty one)
2. Stamp visible (Alt+Ctrl+Shift+E)

On that you can apply a style preset.

Yea, I guess I was trying to avoid the   (Alt+Ctrl+Shift+E)  step , not sure why really

Feb 15 17 07:14 pm Link