Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm going to setup a RAID 0 for performance reasons on my box.  For those using CC for CS6 and LR, don't you have to Deactivate it if you want to re-install on a new installation of your OS?  I do understand that RAID 0 has no fault tolerance, but that's OK.  My org files will be on a separate hard drive outside the Raid.  I'll copy a set to the Raid for editing.  Then copy the finals to the secondary non-raid drive.

BTW, I did double up my memory on my system from 12 gig to 24, and it did help somewhat on faster load times from LR into PS, but still too long for my taste.  Around 8 seconds.  I did use a 3 gigl RAM drive and SSD drive, for scratch on the CS6 and LR.

I did find out this week, that if I just export out from LR to .psd files, then import them into LR they load up in 1/2 the time.  It's just that the export routine will take a couple of hours, so I'm my next shoot where I'll be editing 800 or so images, I may just run the export during the night before.

Any info on the deactivation would be great.

EDIT:  Ok, I see where it can be un-installed from the CC Cloud app on my system.  Now I'm wondering if I un-install it, and re-install it on the new clean install of the OS, will my subscription price change?  Hmmmmm, me thinks I'm going to contact Adobe before I go further.

Mar 05 17 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Did you upgrade your pre-historic CPU to a modern unit ?

Mar 05 17 10:02 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

No.... Just memory.  I believe the i7 920 is a pretty decent chip.  If I replace the MOBO and Chip it will be the last phase.  Memory upgrade was first.  RAID 0, next.... since I have the SATA drives laying here to use.  Next would be a new video card.  Adding another SSD for scratch "possibly".

Mar 05 17 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

PhillipM wrote:

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

No.... Just memory.  I believe the i7 920 is a pretty decent chip.  If I replace the MOBO and Chip it will be the last phase.  Memory upgrade was first.  RAID 0, next.... since I have the SATA drives laying here to use.  Next would be a new video card.  Adding another SSD for scratch "possibly".[/quote
There was a huge increase in CPU performance when intel brought out the Sandy Bridge chip
Not the incremental increase you see from intel releases but a huge leap

i7 920 bechmark test
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2702/13

Newer i7 cpu numbers
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/25

Mar 05 17 10:58 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

PhillipM wrote:
...  For those using CC for CS6 and LR, don't you have to Deactivate it if you want to re-install on a new installation of your OS?...

I have CS6 and LR 6.  Some others too that require deactivation before reinstalling.

When I went from a 256GB to 1TB SSD card, I used Macrium Reflect 6 to Clone the 256GB SSD in the laptop onto the new 1TB SSD through the USB port and onto external SSD card read/writer (~$22 of Amazon) that held the 1TB SSD card.

I didn't deactivate any of my software that required it beforehand.  Just popped in the new 1TB drive and all was well,other than the 1TB partitioned itself into the same-sized 256GB SSD it came from.  I had to re-partition the 256GB part into the 1TB drive afterwards, but software still worked okay.   None of the software asked for a serial afterwards.

I was running out of video drive space as to the reason to go to the 1TB drive. 256GB was too small.

Mar 05 17 11:43 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

thanks gr...  I've used Clonezilla a couple of times to image drives.  I have 3 250 gig drives.  Two of which I was going to use for the raid.  I can image my system drive to the 3rd, before I create the raid, then image them with it.

Mar 05 17 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kool Koncepts

Saint Louis, Michigan, US

Phillip, you can resize the partition within Macrium Reflect before cloning it, at least you can from an image created with it. You have Partition Properties as an option above the target drive 'box', using this you can expand the partition size to the capacity of the destination drive.

Mar 06 17 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thanks Kool.
l
I talked with Adobe today.  I can actually install PS/LR CC on two systems without violating a license.  I removed my SSD with the OS on it, and threw in 2 - 250 gig drives and configured RAID0 on them.  When I left Win7 was updating.  Tomorrow I'll add a SSD drive for scratch purposes, and install CC, then load up some RAW files and see how long it takes to open PSD's from LR.

My files open fairly decent.  It's those huge files from the camera I rent when shooting this catalog work, that takes around 9 seconds to open.  When you have to edit a 1000 images that seems like an eternity.

Mar 06 17 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Well, I got my RAID 0 setup with (2) 250 gig SATA drives I had laying around.  I have a windows paging swap file on the SSD 120 gig drive, as well as PS / LR cache on it too.

When I export my RAWS out to PSD's, and import those into LR, they open in PS in 2 seconds...

Now the real test will be in 2 weeks when I have those BIG files to load up.  I can run the export function during the night before I have to edit the PSD's too.

I may just go with all SSD for the RAID 0  & scratch/paging..

I did in fact talk with a guy that runs a Computer Retail place, about my current MOBO and Processor.  We discussed the options of either upgrading the CPU -vs- RAID 0 .

Mar 08 17 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Not sure of how over the top you wish to go, but here are a few of my suggestions.

I went from an I-7 2600 cpu with HDD to an I-7 6700K cpu with SSD, with the newer DDR4 ram plus a 1060 3GB video card, it bumped my performance by more than 25%.
[As measured with a clock by observing load times, and how long it took to render images]

Another suggestion is RAID 10, I have tried it with four 1 TB Western Hard Disk Drives, in windows 10, interesting and positive feedback from the operating system “Notification” of something to the effect my system data is protected.

My next step will be to build a RAID 10 array, using a real RAID add in card, and four 500 GB SSD drives.

I had to deactivate Adobe off one set of system drives then reactivate on the new setup.

I wish you well

Mar 10 17 07:56 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
Not sure of how over the top you wish to go, but here are a few of my suggestions.

I went from an I-7 2600 cpu with HDD to an I-7 6700K cpu with SSD, with the newer DDR4 ram plus a 1060 3GB video card, it bumped my performance by more than 25%.
[As measured with a clock by observing load times, and how long it took to render images]

Another suggestion is RAID 10, I have tried it with four 1 TB Western Hard Disk Drives, in windows 10, interesting and positive feedback from the operating system “Notification” of something to the effect my system data is protected.

My next step will be to build a RAID 10 array, using a real RAID add in card, and four 500 GB SSD drives.

I had to deactivate Adobe off one set of system drives then reactivate on the new setup.

I wish you well

Thanks Lee.

Right now, I have a 500 gig SSD for the OS [win7] & apps.
2 terabyte mechanical drive for primary storage and a NAS for secondary, and a system off site.
I have a 125 gig SSD drive for scratch for the OS & CS6/LR.

Opening from LR into PS is around 3 to 5 seconds with my 5D mark ii RAW files.  When I export them out to PSD's into a separate folder, and import those files, CTRL/E to open into PS is 2 seconds...

I may try this route on the next shoot in 2 weeks when I'll be dealing with images a lot larger from the 5DSR camera.  I may opt for a newer Vid card as well before the next trip.

Appreciate the tips.

Mar 10 17 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I am surprised you feel the need to set up a RAID 0 configuration.

I set up my Photoshop box quite differently. I used a smallish SSD for the system drive (OS + software), another for scratch, and then multiple working drives. I never copy images I'm working on onto the system drive - I use some fast 256GB drives.

Copying images from a CF card using a USB3 reader to one of the staging drives runs almost as fast as the card can be read.

When I've finished with a shoot I archive to magnetic storage, then wipe the staging drive - can't get faster than running to a blank drive.

I strongly recommend keeping the working storage completely separate from the system drive.

Also means you can swap out the working drives for larger drives if you need them.

Mar 11 17 11:13 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:
- I use some fast 256GB drives.

15K rpm drives?

I pull the images to be edited off their network.  I do my thing, then I copy lightly edited images back to their network.  It takes 9 seconds to open those images up from LR, when I press CTRL/E in LR.  It seems forever when you know your staring at almost a 1000 to edit.

I haven't gone RAID yet.  Just doing some planning.

Mar 11 17 03:34 pm Link