Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Weird story..... about seeing a model in the stree

Photographer

NT Photography

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

I don't know where to post this. 

So a month ago, I sent a message to this model in the instagram for a shoot.  She did not reply.  Before that message, I probably did not notice her instagram account.  She was one of my 500 intsgrammers  I followed. Anyway, it turned out that she worked for my friend's model agency.  "I can book her through him," i said to myself, but i did not do it.  Then, I also noticed that this girl posted at least three times per day on "Your Story". Before, I never noticed her account. She took a lot of selfies(actually, shots against a mirror).  So I recognized her phone cover.

Today, I was walking inside a health restaurant.  This girl was taking a selfie.... she placed her phone.literally, in front of my face.  "Oh, I know this phone," I said to myself.  To cut the story short, it was that girl.  I meant to ask if she was in instagram girl, but I was afraid that she might think of me as a stalker.  Okay, I did look at her account and compare her photos.  So I just left the place.

A few minutes later, I decided to look into her account.... she just posted the same selfie she just took.

Strange thing.  This was the second time it happened.  I was writing a message to a model over here in Model Mayhem.  I deleted it before sending it... I was in hurry.  I decided to write another one later in the day.  I left my office.

Five minutes later, she stood next to me in a bus stop.  I checked her MM portiflio through my smartphone and compared the person next to me with the photos.  I did not approach her.... thinking that I might scare the xxx out of her.

Mar 05 17 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

The story is not weird, you met another MMer.

What is weird is how you approached it.  Instead of going up to her and say hi and introduce yourself, you acted like a creeper.  Don't put models on a pedestal, approach her like any other human being.

As for her ignoring you on Instagram, don't put too much thought into it.  A model got 35 DM on her Instagram while she was shooting with me for 1.4 hours.  She will skip most of it, and only open those she knows.  Also, so many dic pics.

Anyway, don't be like a creeper next time.  Talk to her.  You missed a chance to work with her.

Mar 06 17 02:24 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Interesting story.  When she was taking the selfie, I might have offered to do the shot for her with her phone.  Which could have been a good ice breaker, and to let her know I was a photographer/artist.  Give her a business card.  I don't think I would indicate I followed her on instagram or already tried to contact her about modeling.  Otherwise, try to hire her through the agency.   That is the most professional approach.  God knows, hiring through MM is a crap shoot.

I don't think you did anything wrong.  You certainly were not acting like a creeper.  She is probably approached every day by guys that tell her she is beautiful and she should model, or some shit.  It sounds to me like you respected her and her space.

Mar 06 17 04:29 am Link

Photographer

NT Photography

mccStudio wrote:
The story is not weird, you met another MMer.

What is weird is how you approached it.  Instead of going up to her and say hi and introduce yourself, you acted like a creeper.  Don't put models on a pedestal, approach her like any other human being.

As for her ignoring you on Instagram, don't put too much thought into it.  A model got 35 DM on her Instagram while she was shooting with me for 1.4 hours.  She will skip most of it, and only open those she knows.  Also, so many dic pics.

Anyway, don't be like a creeper next time.  Talk to her.  You missed a chance to work with her.

I know that she probably received 50 DMs on her instagram. smile

I did not expect her to reply.

Mar 06 17 04:47 am Link

Photographer

NT Photography

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Interesting story.  When she was taking the selfie, I might have offered to do the shot for her with her phone.  Which could have been a good ice breaker, and to let her know I was a photographer/artist.  Give her a business card.  I don't think I would indicate I followed her on instagram or already tried to contact her about modeling.  Otherwise, try to hire her through the agency.   That is the most professional approach.  God knows, hiring through MM is a crap shoot.

I don't think you did anything wrong.  You certainly were not acting like a creeper.  She is probably approached every day by guys that tell her she is beautiful and she should model, or some shit.  It sounds to me like you respected her and her space.

I stared at her for a few moments.... to make sure.  I noticed she was wearing something similar as the photos on her instagram. She was wearing something pink top and jeans. After she was gone, I searched for her instagram again. I realised most of her outfit was pink!!! Now, I am a creeper.  LOL.  I know her favourite color.  smile

Mar 06 17 04:55 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

If you notice a woman = creeper
If you are a photographer or artist that works with women = creeper  (with nude women = creepy creeper)
If you open a door for a woman = creeper
If you say hi to a stranger on the street = creeper
If you don't say hi to a stranger on the street = creeper

banghead

Mar 06 17 05:05 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

I had to laugh at that.

Some guy held the door open for a little old lady with a cane at the store, and I heard her yell at him "What makes you think I am so old and feeble I can't open a door by myself!?!"

When I passed by him still holding the door open, he muttered "Damned if you do, and damned if you don't."

Mar 06 17 06:23 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
If you notice a woman = creeper
If you are a photographer or artist that works with women = creeper  (with nude women = creepy creeper)
If you say hi to a stranger on the street = creeper
If you don't say hi to a stranger on the street = creeper

banghead

nah. Making this huge deal out of doing any of those things (especially when they don't go your way) is what makes you a creeper.

If someone recognizes me and comes up and says "I recognize you from the internet, (maybe we even follow each other), just wanted to say hi, have a nice day" thats not weird. You stare me down across a room because you can't decide what to do, you come over to me and then do or don't or do or don't say something, you go home and do or don't or do or don't write me a big message about it, and then instead post a thread about how you almost but didn't really meet me.... thats fuckin weird.

Mar 06 17 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

That's impressive in a city so big as Hong Kong.  Great photos, by the way, cool style....their loss.

Mar 06 17 11:18 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

There was a time, a number of years ago now, when I'd sometimes get recognized from the internet. I never found it weird or creepy if someone just wanted to say "Hi, I think I've seen your work online. It's nice to meet you." That's totally fine. Whatever.

Mar 06 17 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ya gotta love these forums and its attack dogs
Shy tog posts about seeing model in street and being afraid to talk to her and gets called weird and creepy

Mar 06 17 12:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtChaotik

Dayton, Ohio, US

Hmmmm.... I haven't been in the same situation as the OP as far as running into a model that I recognize from social media (that I haven't already worked with). However, I will admit that on a few occasions, I have noticed someone with a certain look that I think would be great for a concept/my portfolio. I haven't always managed to work up the nerve to approach them though. While I do happen to be a painfully introverted quirkazoid with social anxiety, there are several reasons (or excuses that I give myself) as to why I don't. I have been working on that and making progress. smile

Edited to add:  Personally, it seems like it would be easier to approach them knowing that they already model. Good "old-fashioned" networking. haha!

Mar 06 17 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

back when borders was around, i was hunting around for something to read once, when i came upon a model from mm whose port i was familiar with. i went up to her and mentioned that i knew who she was from the site. she wasn't creeped out at all. we chatted for a minute, then went our separate ways. it was a very cordial encounter.

Mar 06 17 07:41 pm Link