Forums > General Industry > Bands and brands, logos... can or can't use?

Photographer

Richard L Hughes

Agana, Hagatña, Guam

Hi,

I'm currently planning a photo/video shoot with a model and we're discussing outfit.
One possibility would be to use some of our t-shirts: some are band t-shirts (featuring bands names, logos, maybe band photos too), some feature brand names and logos (C**verse, Lac*ste etc.).

Our work will be made available to the public and I started wondering about legal issues.

Should we take the risk or rather opt for a "safety-first" solution, and forget about anything featuring brands, bands, logos...?

Thanks
Laurent

Mar 13 17 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Randall Holden Photography

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I've never had a problem with brand names or logos showing in any photos and never been approached by any company for having them visible - I wouldn't think it would be a major concern unless the photos were being printed or published somewhere and were of a somewhat controversial nature.

Mar 14 17 08:13 am Link

Photographer

fas

Paisley, Scotland, United Kingdom

Lorenz Schattenmann wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently planning a photo/video shoot with a model and we're discussing outfit.
One possibility would be to use some of our t-shirts: some are band t-shirts (featuring bands names, logos, maybe band photos too), some feature brand names and logos (C**verse, Lac*ste etc.).

Our work will be made available to the public and I started wondering about legal issues.

Should we take the risk or rather opt for a "safety-first" solution, and forget about anything featuring brands, bands, logos...?

Thanks
Laurent

unless the brand, logo etc is copyright or trademark protected then you are ok. some of the big brands are very protective and will take legal action even against the small guy.
if someone elses photo is in your photo then your are breaking their copyright

Apr 11 17 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I don't know the trademark laws of Japan, but I think the first thing is if you are selling anything

Apr 11 17 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

i'd say - for what it's worth - the bigger the corporation behind the brand [and yes they are trademarked]. the bigger the potential headache.

Apr 11 17 08:41 pm Link