Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Makeup & Hair trial nightmare

Photographer

Kelly R

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm a primarily a MUA (but only have my tog profile on here)-
So I had my first ever nightmare client last month, and was wondering what you'd do in my situation?

She came to my house, and I did her makeup, which she was happy with when she left. Her hair did not go to plan though- I had no idea how stubborn it was and it just would not curl! I did another clients hair afterwards with no problems, so i guess its just how diff hair's take to eachother. She wanted half up half down, but kept pulling down lots of it cause she didn't feel comfortable with much up and it ended up pretty much like this-
http://s3.amazonaws.com/wedding_prod/ph … 1_10_m.jpg

Then in her email she said she could do hair like that herself.. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do something complex with a minimal quiff up and the rest down?!

Anyway, I got an email from her the next day stating how her face got really itchy and red by the end of her 'long' drive home, complaints about how she couldn't see her makeup properly in my house, how she didn't like the colours used, how she had to tie back her hair from embarrassment, and how her fiance 'laughed at her face.'

I offered to do a retrial at no extra cost, because I'm not used to clients complaining and also I get worried they'll leave bad reviews on my FB page that I've worked so hard to build up on!

She takes days to reply to each email anyway, and she agreed to a makeup retrial but today stated she wanted to go elsewhere for hair and wants a refund as she's not sure what I did 'could be classed as a trial in the first place'

I'm losing my rag a bit here, but i already agreed to a makeup retrial, shall i just do it and refund her hair trial or shall i just call it all off?!! Ughh

Apr 09 17 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Some clients are best sent elsewhere. Refund her money and wish her well wherever she lands. Do it with a smile and an apology for being unable to serve her to your usual standards. That might prevent bad PR. If you hesitate to refund, or do not properly apologize, bad PR might well happen.

Always be kind to clients when things go wrong. At least until they prove to be obsessively hateful to you. Most folks are forgiving when things go wrong if you are prompt with refunds and gentle in your responses.

Apr 09 17 01:50 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

That's why it's called a trial.  You need to take control when the client is not focused and get them to understand they see things before you do.  You will address things as you get to them.  Like her hair.  She may have had a bad day before she got to you and is taking it out on you.  She also just may be a tuff client.  I always ask if they have a regular hairdresser why they are not using them.  That can tell you a lot in a few words.  Do not refund her money.  If she gets nasty tell her it's for aggravation that she gave you.  And you have no idea what her fiancé  said or did and how do you know she was itchy?  Could have been excuses for her to get you to refund her money.  I wouldn't even redo anything.  If you do it should be at an additional charge.  Unless you are just starting out and are out of your element here, stand your ground and remember you are the professional.  Sometimes easier said then done I know but these are all learning lessons.  R-

Apr 10 17 05:46 am Link