Forums > Critique > Art critique?

Artist/Painter

LeboGraphics

BRONX, New York, US

It's hard for me to properly evaluate my drawings these days.
I'd welcome a critique if anyone is able:

-What drawings work (if any)? What don't?
-What can be improved?

I certainly don't mind negative feedback as long as it's constructive.
Thanks!

Apr 18 17 10:55 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

This one was the standout for me, of the ones you had posted in your port  .  .  . 

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140727/20/53d5c5c3d460c.jpg

.  .  .  the overall tone of the image, and the texture of the application (I can't tell if it's pencil, chalk, or gauche  .  .  .) all are very visually pleasing  .  .  .  as is the model's countenance, and her placement on the page  .  .  .  nicely done!!!!

SOS

Apr 18 17 02:07 pm Link

Artist/Painter

LeboGraphics

BRONX, New York, US

Thank you, SOS!

Apr 18 17 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I agree it's outstanding.

Apr 18 17 05:52 pm Link

Model

Nikko Battle

Seattle, Washington, US

Very Nice. Love it!

Apr 18 17 10:01 pm Link

Artist/Painter

LeboGraphics

BRONX, New York, US

Thank you all for the feedback.
What about the other pictures in the port?

Apr 18 17 10:35 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

They are all nicely done, this one has always been a favorite of mine:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26475391  18+ nudity

If I were nearby, I would definitely consider modelling for your work.

Apr 19 17 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

I agree with everyone else about the beauty of the Shay image.

I also agree with MMMM about the nude image of Emily. You did a great job of capturing her lovely, graceful figure.

To me, Dominica had a little bit of a haunted look. If that's what you were trying to do, then you succeeded. If not, maybe I just saw something that wasn't there.

I like Nelli in New York because the color gives the image more impact. She seems to be a beautiful, colorful woman sitting in a dark bar or restaurant waiting for someone.

I think Study of Mika has great eye contact between Mika and the viewer. She really seems to be looking at me through the medium of your drawing.

You capture Slinov as a very pretty young lady.

Katya reclining is another graceful nude, but I would have liked her right leg to be a bit less dark. I haven't checked to see whether the original photograph works with the lighting on her leg. Maybe the lighting works as a photograph but would be better as a drawing with a little adjustment.

I can't see myself hiring a retoucher, but if I had enough money, I'd love to hire you to draw some of my models from my photographs so that I could give them these quality drawings as a memento of our shooting together.

Apr 19 17 04:48 pm Link

Artist/Painter

LeboGraphics

BRONX, New York, US

Mature Model and Python, thank you.

Apr 20 17 03:51 am Link

Artist/Painter

Art Hermetic

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

A lot of the comments relate to likeness, but I think you are asking about technique. Both questions. of course, relate. A portrait (traditional) should have a likeness, a resemblance. (Think of the latest controversy over the sculpture of Ronaldo...awful in terms of likeness). But a portrait aims at more than a likeness, it aims at capturing character, inner life, and doing so with appropriate marks. This is the point a which technique enters. I share your uncertainty: I have drawings/paintings that have no relation to how I draw/paint/see now. Are they different? Or bad? Or are they truer in ways that my recent work isn't. Hm. Having looked at your latest work (2017), I can see a development. It is cleaner, more economical, and has a real sense of light and dimensions. I really like your most recent red crayon/charcoal drawing. It captures the vivacity of its subject. I enjoyed viewing your portfolio. Good luck. Keep drawing :-)

Apr 30 17 04:31 am Link