Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Your Caller ID Policy?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

There's been a significant uptick in unsolicited calls here at the homestead, despite being on the "Do Not Call" list.

So, I'm screening calls before I answer them.  If I don't recognize the caller, I let it go to voicemail.

The problem is that lots of my friends have opted not to allow their name and/or number to be displayed via caller ID.  So, since I don't have any numbers memorized, they often get sent to voicemail.

To be honest, I'm one of the folks that didn't want my name or number displayed via Caller ID.  I'm reconsidering that.

What's your policy?  Do you want your name/number to be blocked?

Apr 18 17 11:16 am Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

If the caller doesn't leave a message, I block the number.

Apr 18 17 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

My call blocker blocks "unavailable".  Otherwise the calls go to voice mail.

I receive too many calls to bother blocking each one.

Apr 18 17 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

The way I play it is if it's important, they'll leave a voicemail.

Probably.

Apr 18 17 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Does your phone have an address book of some sort?  It should match the incoming number with the name you've entered and display that.

That's been standard on every cell phone since the late 90s, but I don't know about landline type phones.  I never actually owned one with caller ID.

Apr 18 17 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

If someone is listed as a contact, their name will show up if the all my cell phone.  I don't answer my landline ever.  It basically serves as a mailbox.  It doesn't even matter there is a landline phone hooked up to it.  I'll see the message pop up in my email about 30 seconds after the message is left. 

I'm in the process of moving and won't get a landline.  What I probably will do is buy a really cheap pre-pay cell phone in addition to my iPhone to use as a home phone.   That's the number I'll give people who insist on a number that I don't really want to give my cell phone number to.  It will have the added benefit of  acting as a backup phone when I go on trips.

Apr 18 17 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I assign ring tones for people I know. I use 800notes.com to check out the unknowns & don't answer if I don't know them. *67 is also useful to call anonymously.

Apr 18 17 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I'm ok with my name and number showing when I make a call.  I have no reason to hide them when I initiate the call.  I don't do the stalking thing anymore..as per court order.  haha  j/k

If I don't recognize the number (or hidden), I let it go to VM.

If they are telemarketers, I block 'em.  I only have a mobile phone and blocking asshats is so easy nowadays.

Apr 18 17 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

i haven't had a land line in years. even when i did, if i didn't recognize the number, i just let voicemail be the buffer. in the last six months or so, i've seen that my google phone alerts me to suspected spam calls as they come in. either way, i still don't answer calls from unknown numbers.

i have hundreds of contacts, mostly through work, so anyone who really needs to get a hold of me (including friends/family) are already saved.

Apr 19 17 05:40 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I don't answer calls from unknown or unavailable numbers. If it's important and from someone I know they will leave a message or send a text.

The amount of spam calls to My cell phone, which is My only form of communication has risen drastically over the last year. One I did answer and recall was from the 'Pennsylvania State Troopers Association' soliciting money. I mentioned to the scammer that My Brother was a State Trooper.....'Click'

Apr 19 17 05:45 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I used to block callers with no caller id (or unavailable).  But, I almost lost an opportunity for the job I was applying because the company for some reason didn't display their caller id.  Luckily, the recruiter emailed me she's been trying to call me to discuss, but, she kept getting hung up on.  So I've decided to just let the no caller id's to go to VM.

Apr 19 17 09:20 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I know exactly one person in my life who still has a landline, and their phone has an address book and you can hear the message being recorded so if they recognize someone they just pick up.

If I dont know the number on my cell i let it go to voicemail. Anyone worth a shit wouldve texted me instead of called me anyway (and all businesses I need to talk to like my doctors office dont block their numbers, so who they are shows up instead of just random unnamed numbers so i'll answer for them)

Apr 19 17 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

I get on the order of 4-6 spam calls a day, all of them spoofing caller ID with fake numbers.  Hell, one day one of them used MY land line number!

Since they're spoofing Caller ID, there's no point in blocking their number - they'll just be back in a few minutes using a different number.

Apr 20 17 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I use nomorobo for my landline, it's amazing and I recommend it. No spam callers in my voicemail ever. I believe they even have an iphone app now.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Apr 20 17 02:37 pm Link