Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The Circus Is Leaving Town -- For Good

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

The Ringling Bros. Circus is folding up that big topWarning -- Autoplay video.

Who here as actually ever gone to see a circus?  As a kid, I did a couple of times, but I couldn't tell you which one.  I also enjoyed some tiny little circuses when I was in college.  But nowadays, circuses can't compete with smartphones (with the possible exception of Cirque du Soleil").

Apr 30 17 07:56 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I've been to a Circus, I've also been to a Zoo.

As a toddler My Son was pulled from the crowd and sat on the back of a killer Whale at SeaWorld in Aurora Ohio.....times change

Apr 30 17 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I love the romance of the Circus. Go to Baraboo WI to go to the Ringling Bros Circus Museum. In the summer they put on a one ring Circus.they have many of the old beautiful Circus wagons, the posters , the costumes from their famous acts.  It was the winter headquarters for the Circus.

May 01 17 11:58 am Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

I once saw the Ringling Bros/Barnum and Bailey Circus in Madison Square Garden when I was 10 years old. That is a memory I will always cherish. It was magical for me. I've been to smaller circuses that travel around from Armory to Armory over the years, but nothing beat Ringling. They didn't call it "The Greatest Show On Earth" for nothing.

May 01 17 06:13 pm Link

Model

Crystal DSR17

Burleson, Texas, US

I've been to Ringling Bros/Barnum & Bailey Circus both as a kid and as an adult about two or three years ago. It was incredible! I have nieces and nephews who also love it. Plus, it felt like a real life Water for Elephants without the drama and sadness. So many shows end but come back a few years later. I am saddened, but not without hope.

May 01 17 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I've been a few times to the circus in America.   Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey is probably the most famous one.  Sad to see it go.

May 01 17 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

It's really sad what political activism has caused in this country. Well intended or not, shutting down SeaWorld and long standing circus' like Ringling Brothers really just points to a part of society which I believe needs to move out of it's Mom's basement and to grow the "F" up.

May 02 17 05:31 am Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
It's really sad what political activism has caused in this country. Well intended or not, shutting down SeaWorld and long standing circus' like Ringling Brothers really just points to a part of society which I believe needs to move out of it's Mom's basement and to grow the "F" up.

Soapbox blah blah

May 02 17 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:

Yeah.. really sad that people want to end the needless suffering of animals.. what assholes.

May 02 17 10:39 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Peter Claver wrote:

Yeah.. really sad that people want to end the needless suffering of animals.. what assholes.

What's REALLY sad is that people watch some youtube video and think they know something about how to treat animals. Both SeaWorld and Barnum and Bailey treated their animals well. Both places offered the public an ability to see/interact with wild animals that they'd never see otherwise. Both groups were active in conservation efforts. Stop the rhetoric.
http://www.ringlingelephantcenter.com/

May 03 17 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

I've been to the circus a few times, twice with Barnum and Bailey, the last time a few weeks ago in Fairfax, VA.  It was great!

May 04 17 06:40 pm Link