Forums > General Industry > Fashion or portrait photographer internship?

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

Well, I kept looking for any fashion or portrait photographer who is looking for internship that I can apply for but it is quite difficult to find them. I know that still having lack of skills, experiences, and knowledge but at least one photographer should looking for student intern I assume. I already tried indeed, CL, and my college's website but couldn't find one.

Any idea where to find photographers who is looking for student for internship opportunity in NYC?

May 29 17 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

I hardly think they advertise jobs like that. A whole lot of networking may help. Could take a very long time. Don't forget models talk to each other and to photographers as well. Could be the job you might consider would be assistant as well as student.

G Reese.

May 29 17 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Your really not trying. Look at ASMP, PPA and APA websites. Google commercial photographic rental studios in NYC, Brooklyn and Queens. They employ and recommend assistants. Also look at Resource Magazine.

May 29 17 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

You're good enough to do senior pictures. Just go start making money as a photographer. Does Sears still have portrait studios? Apply for a job there or a similar venue, maybe you can get part time work.

I suppose there would be a benefit if you could intern with some big shot photog but there are options if you don't.

May 29 17 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

JoesAlterrnative

Tampa, Florida, US

Call a studio directly and ask. Or walk in with port in hand with the work you currently have. I got one that way long ago, went on maps, looked up studios in my area, one was less than a mile away, I got a interview, and it was done. Sometimes you click with the photographer in the interview, sometimes you don't. I was there for 8 months before moving on.

They dont advertise internships, so you have to be proactive in searching for one. Also, pick a really good studio, not some cheap small mom & pop shop that does sears type of portraits and high school glam shots lol. No offense but seriously, you wont learn anything from them, if that is their career work. Aim high, expect a lot of no's, and keep going. Also, intern for different types of photographers, fashion may seem appealing, like it is to most new photographers, but as you unlayer the business and politics within it, you might hate it. Its not all glam and big budgets anymore. 75% of it is drama lol.

Jun 09 17 10:30 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I would look up rental houses that rent grip or photography equipment and post some business cards or leave my number.  I would chat up some of the employees and tell them you are looking for internship as welll.  There are quite a few.

Jun 09 17 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

martin b wrote:
I would look up rental houses that rent grip or photography equipment and post some business cards or leave my number.  I would chat up some of the employees and tell them you are looking for internship as welll.  There are quite a few.

This is an excellent "rubber meets the road" suggestion!

Jun 09 17 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Beauty Grenade

Ironton, Ohio, US

Another option may be to just find a fellow photographer friend, gather several friends (mutual or otherwise), and shoot them. If you are having trouble finding models, look for a local community theatre company. Likewise, a small, independent clothing boutique may be interested in having you shoot those models in their clothing and accessories.

Jun 13 17 07:50 am Link