Forums > Critique > Looking for a portfolio critique

Photographer

Noir Boudoir NorCal

Sacramento, California, US

Hello fellow MMers!!!

I would really appreciate some candidate feedback on the portfolio I posted in my MM gallery.  Hope to get some constructive feedback on how I can improve my shots!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Jun 13 17 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Your name suggests one thing, your photos are quite different from what I expected to see.

33 out of 50 photos have hidden faces and could be anyone. Lighting and mood is hard and edgy. Your subjects are all models rather than a broad and diverse range of women. The posing is overt and exibitionist. None of these things indicate boudoir photography.

If you want to shoot boudoir, spend some time learning about the genre and reshoot your entire portfolio.

If you want to shoot what you like to shoot, just do it (but consider changing your name!). I get the impression you are currently somewhere inbetween these two ways of going about things. Rather than attempt to resolve inherent incongruity, let your spirit go free and be yourself.

There is a "sameness" to much of your work, pick your very best and delete the rest. 50 photos is way more than enough.

Jun 14 17 09:13 am Link

Photographer

JoesAlterrnative

Tampa, Florida, US

The Noir part I get because you want that natural film vintage erotic black and white natural light etc aesthetic. But its not Boudoir.

Agree with the other comments previously made. But I would suggest getting some variety. The location gets repetitive and even though you're trying with the angles, the lighting isn't working in all of them. Making something black and white doesn't automatically make it "artistic". The context still has to be there for the mood to work and the model still has to sell it. This is where creating the scene is everything in camera before image selection in post.

You may be limited to select models but you have to work around that. You're still in the experimental phase I take it seeing how the body of work is almost identical. Consistency isn't bad a thing, but you dont want to be another condo or hotel room photographer. Even for book ideas theres already too much of that out there. Dont be afraid to go out on location, because your work seems more like erotic and black and white nudes. Not boudoir. So you dont need to be confined to indoors bed and couch settings. Hopefully that helps.

Jun 14 17 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brian K PHOTO

Summerville, South Carolina, US

In many of your shots the model has missing limbs or a head, maybe that is the look you are going for.

Jun 14 17 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

ShamusDeyo

Spring Lake Park, Minnesota, US

Websters defines Boudoir as:  a woman's dressing room, bedroom, or private sitting room... Inferring her Neglige.... Penoirs...
Lingerie... and Stockings - The Woman's Arsenal of Seduction... seduction is often defined by Whats not seen... as much as by what is seen. Think in these terms... and Textures soft like Satin or Muslin to shoot them on... to enhance the Woman's Softness... if you work with an older Subject... Hard Light intensifies their Wrinkles and..... your Job is to Make them Beautiful

Jun 15 17 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Craig March Photography

New Haven, Connecticut, US

you have over-processed your images into watercolors. scale that way back and keep the models looking like humans. get the image right in camera first.

Jun 15 17 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Noir Boudoir NorCal

Sacramento, California, US

My thanks to all of you for taking the time to review my portfolio!

I will definitely take all of your comments to heart and try to apply them to my work moving forward!

Jul 23 17 05:03 pm Link