Forums > Photography Talk > Modeling on Blacks Beach San Diego

Model

Tiki Wang

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

I've recently discovered this beach while trying to find safe places to take some nude shots on the beach but after searching around I havent been able to find good answers about shooting there.

So I'm wondering first of all, Is it ok to shoot there since?  Like I know it's a nude beach so does that mean anything photography related isnt acceptable there?

What would be the best time to go there to do a shoot and not have many other people around?  Or is there any other beach that I should be looking into besides this one that we could get away with some quick nude shots there?

Are permits required or can we just go out there with camera only and no lighting equipment and just do it without worry?

Sorry if these are easy things to find out but internet here in china can make trying to figure these things out difficult sometimes

Jul 09 17 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

Permits are required for all commercial shoots since it's a state beach. If it's just a photographer and model, meaning not a whole crew, you can easily get away without a permit. It's a very big beach so it's usually easy to get away from the crowds. Mornings are best if you want fewer people but the cliffs put most of the beach in shade early in the morning. I usually shoot late afternoon on week days.

Jul 09 17 12:21 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I have only visited the area once.  I asked a ranger about the beach, after being advised it was a nude beach by MM members.  He told me it was not a nude beach.  I was still North of the area during that conversation.

Eventually, I visited the beach.  I was photographing birds to the South and wandered up that way.  The place is isolated.  There were very few bathers there during the week.  Nobody had any clothing on.  You and one or two other people should be able to do a shoot without any problems.  I suggest that if a vehicle is coming up the beach, put a covering on and put photo stuff away.  The beach is wide and flat and there is a long shallow area depending on tide.  There were a couple of on lookers from the top of the cliffs North of the Glider Port.  I did not see any rangers.

I did see a rattlesnake along the trail down to the beach on the South side of the Glider Port.  Just be aware there is a possibility that they are there.  Stay away from them and they won't hurt you.  Always look on the other side of a rock or log on the trail, before stepping over it.  It is best to step on the rock or log and step past it.  Don't assume that it is safe because the person before you already passed over it.  It is often the second or third person that gets bit.

Have fun.  Be safe.  Let us know the results!

Jul 09 17 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

I would take a trip to San Pedro. Prettier beaches and secluded coves. I have shot models nude there for hrs and never bothered by anyone

Jul 09 17 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Hidden Hills Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

You can shoot at Blacks' beach. If you have an attractive female model, you will probably find yourself drawing a crowd of lookers on, but never had any issues and have done a few shoots there. weekdays during off season aren't too crowded. There are a few shots in my port that were taken at Blacks' Beach before I moved away from San Diego. If you have to carry a lot of gear it can be a pita though, nowhere close to park no matter which way you access the beach.

Jul 13 17 03:09 pm Link