Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > A few basic questions about lipstick...

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Hi,

I am wanting to learn a little about lipstick, and perhaps nail polish. I am interested in color coordinating with models' wardrobe. There could be times when I would be providing a dress or other wardrobe, and may want to also provide lipstick and/or nail polish to ensure color matches. I have very basic questions in mind...

I checked out lipstick today in the  make-up aisle of a retail store. The first things I noticed were terms like matte, satin, and gloss. I assume that matte would be the least light reflective, satin in the middle and gloss the most light reflective? Would that be correct? Are there other terms that refer to the degree of light that is reflected?

I have heard the phrase "lip gloss" many times. Is there any difference between it and regular lipstick?

Are there any products that come as a 'set' with same color lipstick and nail polish?

I would also like to use something inexpensive as long as it looked good during a shoot, about 1.5 hours typically for me. Also would not want something that would be inconvenient for a model to apply or maintain while shooting.

So yeah...I am totally clueless at the moment smile   Any pointers would be welcome...

TIA

Aug 20 17 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Yes there are lipstick and nail polish sets.  Yes you are correct about the finishes. Not sure what you consider cheap so that's hard to answer.  Go to any cosmetic dept or store.  If you are applying nail polish on set, allow plenty of time for it to dry -completely.  Are you planning to apply it on your models then I suggest you practice, practice, practice.  For lipsticks, you will need to buy disposable lip brushes or good brushes that you can clean with alcohol.   

Good luck

Aug 21 17 10:41 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Please be aware of hygiene concerns any time that makeup is being shared. Colds, coughs and oral herpes are easy to contract through sharing anything that comes in contact with the mouth. If you are planning on having tubes of lip color that models share, you'll have to find ways to prevent contact with the lips, through use of washable brushes, etc.

Also, keep in mind that not all colors look good with all skin tones. Pinks can make teeth appear yellow sometimes due to weird color contrasty effect, and that will add to something else that has to be fixed in post. I've also read posts from photographers complaining about models showing up to shoot with shimmery makeup or lip color, so apparently, shimmery colors really bother some people and they have perceived that shiny makeup ruins their photos.

Makeup seems like a simple thing, but it isn't at all.

Aug 21 17 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Thanks Mary and Koryn  for your replies and insights.

I never thought that make-up was simple. On the contrary, I have been semi-amazed at what can be done with it and am aware that when done well, make-up can be both subtle and complex, like any art form.

I would not be applying anything. No concerns about sharing or hygiene issues either. Both good points though. My idea is to match for a single outfit  - single shoot only, and give the wardrobe and any accessories to my model after the shoot. I can't afford to hire pro models. So I though this might be a win-win as my TF model would at least receive something tangible in addition to any images.

Interesting comments about color and degree of shimmery-ness. Perhaps I should ask about that in the photography forum.

Aug 21 17 03:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

You are correct as far as finish descriptions. No, lipstick and gloss are not the same. Most glosses are sheerer than lipstick. These should be considered single use products for the model to use and keep due to hygiene concerns. For inexpensive lip products that look on lips as they do in the package, NYX cosmetics is a brand available in drugstores and Ulta stores and they offer a wide range of lipsticks and glosses in many finishes and average around $4-$6. Understanding color theory in relation to skin tone will be helpful in choosing lip colors for specific models.

Aug 25 17 02:06 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

roger alan wrote:
[snip] My idea is to match for a single outfit  - single shoot only, and give the wardrobe and any accessories to my model after the shoot. I can't afford to hire pro models. So I though this might be a win-win as my TF model would at least receive something tangible in addition to any images.

This is My approach Roger.

As an Amateur working this way allows for greater control of images produced.

Aug 25 17 04:29 am Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

thank you Danielle and FIFTYONE

Aug 25 17 10:15 am Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Mary Durante Youtt wrote:
...applying nail polish on set, allow plenty of time for it to dry -completely. ....

Hypothetically, if doing a shoot with a change of wardrobe where one set used nail color and the other set without color...

Which requires more time: applying nail polish and allowing it to dry completely, OR removing nail polish and getting nails clean enough to shoot?

Aug 25 17 11:23 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

roger alan wrote:
Hypothetically, if doing a shoot with a change of wardrobe where one set used nail color and the other set without color...

Which requires more time: applying nail polish and allowing it to dry completely, OR removing nail polish and getting nails clean enough to shoot?

look at self adhesive nail tips, they may work in Your scenario.

Aug 25 17 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

roger alan wrote:
YES
CORRECT RE THE SATION GLOSS AND MATTE.

''MATTE'' RARELY PHOTOGRAPHS WELL, IMHO ...  ALWAYS ADD GLOSS.

Are there other terms that refer to the degree of light that is reflected?
TIA

YES ... VARIOUS BY DIFFERENT BRANDS BUT THEY WILL GENERALLY HAVE AN ADD THAT EXPLAINS IT

roger alan wrote:
I have heard the phrase "lip gloss" many times. Is there any difference between it and regular lipstick?
TIA

TOTALLY. GLOSS CAN BE COLORED OR CLEAR, BUT IS ALWAYS GLOBBY 'WET LOOK' STUFF THAT  YOU APPLY SEPARATELY.
OVER LIPSTICK AND LIP LINER, FOR EXAMPLE.

roger alan wrote:
Are there any products that come as a 'set' with same color lipstick and nail polish?
TIA

YES
BUT YOU CAN ALSO PICK THE 'SAME NAME'' LIPSTICK AS NAILS POLISH FROM THE SAME BRANDS RANGE SOMETIMES.
IF ONE SAYS ''SULTRY ROSE'' LOOK FOR THE ''SULTRY ROSE'' IN THE OTHER PRODUCT TOO.

What's easy and cheap....

DONT SHARE LIP STICKS!

CHEAP BRANDS LIKE ''RIMMEL, LONDON'' ARE REALLY GOOD SOMETIMES

MAIN THING IS FROM MODEL NOT TO SMEAR IT, EAT IT. GET IT ON THE CLOTHING OR HANDS..

....ON LOCATION HAIR GETS WHIPPED INTO THE LIP GLOSS IF YOU ARE NOT V CAREFUL. BUT NEVER THE LESS USE IT
IT GIVES A SHINE YOU CANT ADD IN PHOTOSHOP.

Sep 19 17 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

roger alan wrote:
A few basic questions about lipstick...

Roger you might want to consider lip pencil instead... Quality lip pencils are soft, go on smoothly and won't tug at the lips... They typically photograph extremely well since they are matte in surface luster...  Ben Nye Lip Color Pencils work extremely well...

I always prime lips with pencil when doing bridal makeup... this is added assurance that even if the lipstick is "kissed" off there will be a complimentary color beneath...

Caveat: Be certain to get a quality sharpener... the very best lip pencils are so soft that they tend to break apart if the sharpening blade is even the least bit dull... 

A trick I use for brides who want bright color lip decor is to have them place their finger in their mouth, close their lips around the finger and slowly pull the finger out... this removes most of the excess lipstick and avoids those dreaded red colored teeth... While this may sound a tad gross, it actually does work and it spares the wedding photographer the nightmare of retouching countless smiles...   

Also if you are testing with agency talent they will not appreciate bright colors or gloss... matte lip liner pencil is germane here... And as mentioned above totally avoid sticky gloss product if you are shooting on location... it will literally behave like fly paper on a windy day... Experience is a brutal teacher... 

Oh, if you are going for that 1/4 inch deep brilliant gloss lip look... pickup a tube of MAC Lipglass Clear This product is so amazing albeit it's only good for maybe 20 minutes to you'll have to shoot fast... or just have your MUA touchup as you move forward with your session.

And while we're talking about lip decor I would be remiss if I didn't mention highly pigmented liquid lip stains...  However please keep in mind these are best applied by tenured professionals since they require considerable finesse on the part of the artist... And they will indeed "stain" anything which they come in contract with... Including your precious and pricey  Kolinsky sable lip brushes... And virtually no brush cleaner available will remove it, you've been warned.

Perhaps the most infamous stains are the OCC Lip Tars... We are talking love/hate relationship here... and likely one of the most challenging lip makeup products available... Should you venture into this arena please review OCC's guidance on this unforgiving product...

Caution: Do not toss a OCC Lip Tar tube into your kit in as they are notorious for leaking... They need to be sealed inside a leak proof container... However OCC Lip Tars are simply amazing! Totally in a class of their own...

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...
All the best on your journey roger...

Sep 19 17 07:31 pm Link