Forums > Model Colloquy > Androgynous Model Market

Model

aj_model

New York, New York, US

Hey - im aj, a freelance model, fashion designer, photographer & artist.
I'm an androgynous, petite, versatile model looking to shoot fashion, concept, art, etc. & build my portfolio.  I have a completely fluid look & love portraying both a rough masculine edge, but also a statuesque feminine physique depending on the scenario.

Does anyone on here have experience with either getting casted for or shooting androgynous models from MM? Are there any sites more specific to the photographer audience I am seeking?

-aj

Jan 23 18 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

David T Thrower

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I'm not terribly experienced, and don't feel qualified to give advice. I will give this thread a bump,  however, and offer that I love the looks in your port. I can see so many possibilities! I wish you success, and if I'm ever looking to shoot in NYC I would love to work with you.

Feb 03 18 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

I can't address your query, but if you pass through Raleigh-Durham, I'd love to shoot you.

Feb 03 18 08:21 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

aj_saunders wrote:
Does anyone on here have experience with either getting casted for or shooting androgynous models from MM? Are there any sites more specific to the photographer audience I am seeking?

I have not worked directly with any androgynous models, but I know of some successful traveling freelance models who are androgynous.  I don't know of any photography site that is specific to the look you're describing, but you have a great look and a solid start to your portfolio, so I'd say keep building your portfolio here and on social media, and I'd expect you to see success over time.  You may wish to take a look at other modeling sites (Purple Port, Model Society, etc.), but personally I find Model Mayhem to be the most useful, at least for where I live.

Feb 06 18 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I personally love to work with androgynous models; both male and female.

Let me know if you should ever find yourself in Los Angeles.

All the best,

Jorge

Feb 06 18 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Ingham Photography

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I have worked twice with a transgender person and he wanted androgynous images and/or ones that were unclear as to the gender of the subject.  We were both happy with the results, and I would happily work with him again.  As for how much of a market there is, that I do not know.  I pay models when I am being paid for the work.  Otherwise, the work is a trade and is personal projects for both (all) of us.  So far, I have not been asked for any androgynous images, but much of my income comes from science photography, not glamour or fashion.

Feb 22 18 08:29 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

AJ -

Commercial modelling is VERY height oriented. A guy should be 5-11 to 6-1 with about a 40 inch chest and a woman 5-9 to 5-11, to fit sample clothes.

As for MM, models any height can get shoots here - but most of the photographers here want to do very stereotyped glamour (think non-ironic 70s Playboy and "readers wives" shots...) And competence-wise, only about 1% of MM photographers can match what is already in your igram.

If you want to shoot arty fashion for your own purposes then your best bet is probably to use instagram or flickr to find someone near you whose work resonates with you and vv and shoot with them. Be at least as careful of your safety as on a dating site until you know someone well.

You have a great look and you are in NY: it shouldn't be too hard to find the right people to work with if you want to do arty trade shoots.

Feb 23 18 04:13 am Link

Model

Andro_LA

Los Angeles, California, US

Have the same question but for the west coast, i'm an androgynous model in los angeles and so far i've just done random TFP shoots. It's hard to hunt down photogs interested in shooting androgynous sometimes.

Mar 10 18 04:07 pm Link