Forums > Model Colloquy > Model port approach?

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

It appears that the main model agencies require that the applicant send pictures almost like mug shots, nothing professional looking, no make up,  no post processing, just a head shot, a profile, a full body in swim suit, no sexy posing.
I see so many ports that have been Photoshoped to the point where you are not sure of the model look.
Would it be conceivable for the MM models to have such images in addition their regular port?

May 12 18 03:21 am Link

Model

Nachtzehren

Durham, England, United Kingdom

It's something I try to remember to do per 'look update'.

May 12 18 04:09 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hi, not a bad idea, although it sure is fun th o share range of what we can bring to a shoot other than our raw selves too.
Jen

May 12 18 08:43 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Figures Jen B wrote:
Hi, not a bad idea, although it sure is fun th o share range of what we can bring to a shoot other than our raw selves too.
Jen

I am thinking of showing both the "raw" images and the range of modeling styles from various photographers

May 12 18 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I try (unless the model objects for some reason) to provide, in addition to the shots that are related to the theme of the shoot, a basic set of unretouched "Polaroids" , i.e. headshot, plus full body (front back and both sides) fully dressed as well the same series in whatever is the model's personal boundary for nudity.   And if the model is someone I want to work with again, (in other words, on time ready and willing to work, and fun to get along with) I often make up a compcard out of the shoot.

Very little extra work and, I think, a good way to say "thanks for a good shoot and let's do it again sometime."

All IMHO as always, of course.

May 12 18 10:43 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I try (unless the model objects for some reason) to provide, in addition to the shots that are related to the theme of the shoot, a basic set of unretouched "Polaroids" , i.e. headshot, plus full body (front back and both sides) fully dressed as well the same series in whatever is the model's personal boundary for nudity.   And if the model is someone I want to work with again, (in other words, on time ready and willing to work, and fun to get along with) I often make up a compcard out of the shoot.

Very little extra work and, I think, a good way to say "thanks for a good shoot and let's do it again sometime."

All IMHO as always, of course.

Have some of the models you have collaborated with posted the Polaroids you offered them?

May 12 18 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Have some of the models you have collaborated with posted the Polaroids you offered them?

I would certainly hope not (for their sake, not mine--I never watermark) since they are, by their very nature pretty stark, uninteresting and uncomplimentary.  They show nothing of the model's personality, emotive ability, or usefulness for any purpose.  To put it  as crudely as possible, they are just pictures of a piece of inert, dead meat.  It's up to the potential employer to decide what he can do with it.

The compcards are a different story, since they are finished pictures and are intended to demonstrate the very traits that the Polaroids hide, talent, personality and marketability, and I hope that they are at least sometimes useful for that purpose.

May 12 18 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
It appears that the main model agencies require that the applicant send pictures almost like mug shots, nothing professional looking, no make up,  no post processing, just a head shot, a profile, a full body in swim suit, no sexy posing.
I see so many ports that have been Photoshoped to the point where you are not sure of the model look.
Would it be conceivable for the MM models to have such images in addition their regular port?

Modeling agencies do this all the time, they have a headshot of the model with little to no makeup, nothing special done with the hair.  Why?  So a photographer knows what for lack of better terminology what the "blank canvas" looks like.  Because each photographer has their own requirements as far as makeup, hair, wardrobe, etc. and they want to know where they are starting from.  It's like looking at a house to see how much work you're going to need to do to it.  Some people want a fixer upper, and some people don't.

Jul 03 18 08:51 am Link