Forums > Model Colloquy > Is it a scam?

Model

Will_passionateMuffin

Banqiao, New Taipei, Taiwan

This is the email I get from [email protected] and I did apply for it.
it requires me to pay 120 eur as explained here https://prestige-modelmanagement.com/co … s-euro-120
And FYI , the email reads as following
Dear model!
Our Casting Team has now reviewed your online application and our agency has concluded that you, with your appealing and attractive appearance, are highly suitable to work as a model in fashion and advertising as well as for promotional photos and film and TV productions

Very suitable

We would like to discuss a few things with you before we accept you into our agency, therefore please telephone your managing office as soon as possible. You can speak to your personal contact for applications from Monday - Thursday between 10 am and 04 pm and on Friday between 10 am and 02 pm

PRESTIGE NETHERLANDS: 0043 1 3616 66611 or 01 3616 66611

PRESTIGE GERMANY: 0049 89 9545 74721 or 089 9545 74721

PRESTIGE AUSTRIA: 0043 1 3616 66611 or 01 3616 66611

PRESTIGE SWITZERLAND: 0041 44 5112 561 or 044 5112 561

PRESTIGE UNITED KINGDOM: 0044 20 3876 2861 or 020 3876 2861

PRESTIGE IRELAND: 0044 20 3876 2861 or 020 3876 2861

ALL OTHER NATIONS: 0049 89 9545 74721 or 089 9545 74721

Please have your personal booking code: (I erase it for privacy reason)
to hand whenever you call our agency. If you do not have your booking code, we will not be able to give you any information for data protection reasons.

Please read our contractual terms/general terms and conditions of business click here <https://prestige-modelmanagement.com/contracts/contract-for-adults-euro-120>  carefully so that we can answer any questions you may have about the contract and model placement during the telephone call.

During the phone call, one of our staff will help you to complete your registration. Full registration takes maximum 10 minutes. Please ensure that you will not be disturbedduring this time, and that you have access to a computer or a smartphone and have internet connection. Your modelling career can now begin.

We look forward to a positive, friendly and successful working relationship with you, and await your call so that we can talk through what happens next.

ALL THE ADVANTAGES AT A GLANCE

Prestige Modelmanagement offers a comprehensive, global online platform where models can manage themselves. It allows you to constantly promote your latest and best photos and photo shoots, while our customers appreciate the platform being updated so frequently and the ease-of-use. Our Support Team offers additional support for all your modelling questions. The Prestige Modelmanagement platform provides you with a tool that presents you professionally at all times. So together, we create the digital world that our customers and models feel comfortable in.

1.    Free assessment of your application
2.    No photography or registration fee
3.    International agency with many years' experience and an extensive network
4.    Direct bookings with no on-site castings, because customers can book you directly online
5.    No introductory meeting, because we review your application online
6.    No commission payment to the agency
    You receive the full booking fee directly from the client, with no deductions
7.    No photography costs, because you can work with your own private photos
8.    Password-protected database (100% data protection)
9.    Your photos and details are not publicly accessible
    Only reputable registered customers can view your profile. Your personal details, such as your surname, address, telephone number and e-mail address stay within our agency where they are treated in strict confidencer
10.    Minimum administration contribution when you are accepted into the agency
11.    Personal use account, including online booking card
12.    Personal password/login for you to manage your photo and details
13.    Our Support Team is there to help if you have any questions during office hours
14.    You decide which assignments to accept, or not
15.    Free placement service between the client and the model

Kind regards from our model team
PRESTIGE MODELMANAGEMENT
Models like you and me

PRESTIGE MODELMANAGEMENT – The way to success

1.    In addition to our regular contact (direct marketing) with customers and potential clients, we also use the internet a lot. We spend a lot of money promoting our model portal with GOOGLE
2.    The model agency PRESTIGE MODELMANAGEMENT has offices in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, and in many other countries. We place photo and advertising models via the internet with advertising and fashion clients, using a modern online profile/booking card.
3.    We present and place models and promotional faces for the following assignments: Catalogue advertising, brochures, magazines, television advertising, fashion journals, fashion shows, film and TV productions and TV and cinema advertising.
4.    Depending on the assignment, you can expect to earn (fee) around EUR 600.00. The customer additionally also pays travel costs and other expenses. We can also place you at weekends or on your days off. Where possible, we can also place you close to where you live. .
5.    Benefit from online placement (100% data protection)by our agency. You are presented to our customers in fashion, advertising and film using state-of-the-art technology and your own personal online profile/booking card. You will receive your own password/login, allowing you to easily manage your own photos and details yourself at any time.
6.    Manage your modern online profile/your booking card with good photos of your own, and then add portfolio and professional photos. You generally receive these at no cost from your assignments.
7.    Of course, only you and registered, reputable customers who are known to us, have access to the password-protected database. Your personal details, such as your surname, address, telephone number and e-mail address stay within our agency where they are treated in strict confidence, and are not forwarded to customers.
8.    Opt for your own online profile/booking card, and save yourself hundreds of euros that you'd otherwise have to spend on expensive professional photos with lots of other agencies. With our agency, you also save a lot of money, travel costs, waiting around and stress attending so-called LOCAL CASTINGS because clients can easily and conveniently view and book models online. Our only charge for these services is a small annual administrative contribution of just EUR 120.00- (see also Contract/General Terms and Conditions of Business) You receive the modelling fee directly from the customer, with no deductions.

May 23 18 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Aggrofish

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Post hidden on Jul 06, 2018 04:48 am
Reason: violates rules

May 23 18 05:43 pm Link

Model

Will_passionateMuffin

Banqiao, New Taipei, Taiwan

I did sent some photos of my profile. I'm sorry that you feel this way. sad but it's serious.   I've asked this question here on MM (newbie forum), but there's no conclusive result of the discussion thread.

I just want to know if this is a legitimate site or not by feedback of some experienced photographer and/or fellow models who had direct of indirect collaboration with them. Is this safe for me to start a career there or not.

I'm totally new to all this. and I'd like to learn more. Also, I'm lucky and have the pleasure to receive positive feedback from a photographer here on MM and hopefully we could arrange a shot. After that, I could have some professional pictures uploaded here.

Thank you so much for your time to answer this.

May 23 18 09:55 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Many people on MM do not deal with agencies.  Consequently, it is more difficult to tell if an agency is a rip off or not.  They aren't using the typical scam scenario that we see everywhere and anywhere.  If I correctly recall the other thread, it was suggested that you do some research.  There was also a difference of opinion about fees. 

I can't answer your question.  I never work with agency people.

We are also restricted by MM rules.  We can't offer a critique that hasn't been requested and that request must come in the critique section.  That said, in addition to doing more research on the agency, also consider, with a great deal of critical examination, if the images that you sent them represent a commercial product.  If they do not represent commercial levels of work, consider them a scam.  If your images are excellent, dynamic, cutting edge, then maybe they aren't a scam.  One other thing to consider:  Do they appear to be targeting beginners who do not know any better?  If so, they are a scam.  If you want me, or other people to answer, either post in the critique section or send a PM.

Many of us are striving to get better even with years of experience, at what we do.  I suggest that you set up a camera, even a cell phone on video, and start emulating poses from art books and glamour and fashion sources.  Capture frames of the video as images and compare your images to your sources.  Be critical of yourself.  What do you need to do to improve?  When you start getting modeling gigs from MM, especially paid gigs, perhaps, you would have a start on the skills that a legitimate agency would be looking for. 

Also, start working on defining yourself as a model.  What kind of work do you want?  Art?  Fashion?  Glamour?  If you want to do art, talk to school art departments and art clubs about being a figure model.  Learning to be a figure model will teach you a lot about modeling in general, and will increase you self awareness.  It is also a good way to get immediate feedback.  Figure models don't make much, but they do get paid from the start.  If you can hold a pose, that is a good start for getting called back and developing other contacts for other paying gigs.

Read the forums and take note of what models say about their own background.  If you reach out to them, perhaps they will give you some insights to improve and to avoid traps.

Good luck.

May 24 18 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

I would wonder about any "agency" that addresses you as "Model" instead of by name.

May 28 18 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Anyone asking you to pay upfront is a scammer.
In the big scheme of things, 'the model', you in this case, is secured by the agency to make money.
If the agency in question feels you are such 'hot property', why can't they take that measly sum from your first paying job.
I feel bad for you, this kind of deception happens to unsuspecting models all the time.

May 29 18 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

May 30 18 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

But then again, there's that Nigerian prince whose been trying to smuggle his family's wealth out of that country and needs some help doing so...

May 30 18 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

YES, it is a scam.

May 30 18 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

gary yong

Beijing, Beijing, China

Post hidden on Jul 06, 2018 04:48 am
Reason: violates rules

Jul 03 18 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Yes its a scam
Do Not send these people One Euro, Mark, Dollar
https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/pr … tio-879471

http://www.topix.com/forum/dallas/T5SNB … management

To be fair, your links are about an agency in Dallas.I'm not even sure if that agency is still in business as their web domain has lapsed. The OP is from Germany and is asking about an agency which claims to be headquartered in Austria. It seems there are multiple agencies with "Prestige" in their name.

I have no idea whether the agency the OP is asking about is a scam or not as I have zero experience in Germany's model market. Just noting that you are referencing a different agency.

Jul 05 18 03:24 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

OP, my initial read is that this is a scam.  It may not be as obviously scammy as a "Nigerian Prince" sort of thing where they are outright lying about who they are and why they want your money, but honestly there are a lot of agencies out there that go after new, aspiring models and tell them that if they pay to sign/get a portfolio shoot, they will get offered fabulous opportunities as a model.  In truth, a lot of people who sign with smaller agencies don't get offered work, especially if they aren't super tall and thin, with the standard commercial look.  So, the agency gets the money from signing/doing the initial shoot, and they get to tell prospective clients that they have a lot of models signed and available for work, and meanwhile the model is likely to get nothing.

I'm not saying you should be entirely closed off to the potential of signing with an agency, but personally I would not pay anything to sign, and I would never sign an exclusive contract, because I want the option to keep booking my own shoots and to sign with other agencies if I wish.

Jul 05 18 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

gary yong wrote:
Redacted.

Mina Salome wrote:
That's a super needlessly unkind thing to say, he definitely was not asking for opinions on...

Mina, I reported the post and it has been hidden. If you delete it from your post it will be gone from this thread.

Jul 06 18 12:25 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

Designit - Edward Olson wrote:
Mina, I reported the post and it has been hidden. If you delete it from your post it will be gone from this thread.

OK, just deleted that part!  Thanks for helping to keep the forums a friendly place.

Jul 06 18 07:55 pm Link