Forums > Model Colloquy > Did MM notify models about the messaging change?

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:
While I appreciate the feedback, I didn't say messaging has not changed. I clearly stated "your messaging limit" has not changed. That means the number of messages you can send.

In addition, prior to the change there were limits on basic members ability to initiate messages.

that is still a one sided and completely misleading view. while your point is perfectly valid technically, the main point is, functionally the system has changed. basic members cannot even send one new message to a non-friend without going through the friend request, accept request routine first. it cuts out a function and changes the system even for the legacy members and makes it worse for the new basic tier.

mm has not learned any lessons from other sites which have gone downhill because they reduced the site features in their cause to increase paid membership. reducing basic features drive away users.

the same goes for not increasing the legacy member's image slots. "we told you the legacy features would not change" is the same as saying we dumped on the legacy members by not being nice enough to increase their slots to match the new basic tier as a good will gesture without any sweat of adding extra storage on our part.

Jul 11 18 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Soft Moth

Barry, Wales, United Kingdom

I used this site several years ago. Unfortunately, with family and work problems I didn't get very far with my model photography. But I was conversing with several models and sharing ideas and it looked as if this was a really useful place to be a member of. There seemed lots of potential for local creative collaborations.

Years later, I've come back to have another go at model photography, now that conditions are more favourable to me, and that I have a new photographic kit I want to try out.

But Model Mayhem seems really quiet...a shadow of what it was a few years back. Of course, some things are out of Model Mayhem's hands, like the rise of other competition from Instagram, etc.

But this new policy of making it much harder to get in touch with fellow creatives is really damaging this site, IMO. By making it more difficult for people to communicate, a big part of what Model Mayhem was about is being undermined. Yes, I know there are also successful professional photographers and models who use the place as a business tool.

I always thought that the grassroots of Model Mayhem was encouraging beginners like me to work together to build a portfolios, even if cash was very limited. But now there is a barrier in our way that makes this much more difficult. I hope the whole "You have to be friends before you can message" system is scrapped. The old system made for a much better website and community.

Jul 14 18 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

Site sucks now. Can't even contact people anymore? Dumb. Everyone should be sure to have their instagram in profile so that we can actually contact each other.

Jul 20 18 02:05 pm Link