Forums > Model Colloquy > what to do about one piece swimsuits

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

Hello models,
I recently ran into what seemed to be a lose-lose situation, working with a model and a particular one-piece swimsuit.

We tried to find the best compromise for certain poses, (mostly involving her on her back) but....
either she stretched out long.. in which case there was  a tight string-like line going up her front...
or she slouched a little.. in which case it looked baggy, and unattractive for that reason.

Any tips you can share for this situation?
i'm wondering if this requires tape or clips or something

Jul 23 18 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

redacted

Jul 23 18 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

hmMM.

So what you're saying is, a female onepiece swimsuit needs to be seriously form fitting, like a body stocking.
My  model's, was not.
So.. maybe she borrowed one from a friend or something?
:-/

or then again.. maybe some are made for actual swimming, and some are more made for just laying around the beach?

I cant imagine the extremely open side ones are always going to be form fitting, like the one you showed, unless they are for competition swimming or something.
(I've seen those things, they're like freaking condom-tight, lol.)
as opposed to the one currently showing in my port.

I have no idea, help me out here pls smile

I'll point out that up close, it has a lot of texture, kinda like some types of cotton string vest. So.. maybe its not that kind of a suit? I dunno...

Jul 23 18 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

redacted

Jul 23 18 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Philip Brown wrote:
hmMM.

So what you're saying is, a female onepiece swimsuit needs to be seriously form fitting, like a body stocking.
My  model's, was not.
So.. maybe she borrowed one from a friend or something?
:-/

or then again.. maybe some are made for actual swimming, and some are more made for just laying around the beach?

I cant imagine the extremely open side ones are always going to be form fitting, like the one you showed, unless they are for competition swimming or something.
(I've seen those things, they're like freaking condom-tight, lol.)
as opposed to the one currently showing in my port.

I have no idea, help me out here pls smile

I'll point out that up close, it has a lot of texture, kinda like some types of cotton string vest. So.. maybe its not that kind of a suit? I dunno...

No, they do not need to be ultra form fitting, in fact I think Your model wore Hers very well, it's the cut of that particular swimsuit / bodysuit (there's a difference).

I will add that finding the correct sizing in any Womans clothing can be extremely tedious, they tend to vary between manufacturers', some wildly.

5' 8" wearing a size Small Swimsuit.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170622/09/594bf100a5597_m.jpg

same 5' 8" wearing a size Med Swimsuit.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170625/22/595094e8b81ad_m.jpg

I've been searching high and low for the bodysuit below worn by adult actress Brittney White which appears to be the same one Your Model wore except in Yellow.

https://i.pinimg.com/170x/3a/9c/62/3a9c620ed1b40d2eb4791738b72ef9e6.jpg

*note the loose fit, which I think looks great!  ( it's a bodysuit or leotard, not an actual swimsuit )

Jul 24 18 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
*note the loose fit, which I think looks great!  ( it's a bodysuit or leotard, not an actual swimsuit )

aha....
thanks for the ID.
and I agree, it looks good when vertical.
however, this now comes back to my original question: What to do with it when horizontal?

Jul 24 18 06:10 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
I've been searching high and low for the bodysuit below worn by adult actress Brittney White which appears to be the same one Your Model wore except in Yellow.

https://i.pinimg.com/170x/3a/9c/62/3a9c620ed1b40d2eb4791738b72ef9e6.jpg

My guess is that the last bodysuit ( which is not a mailot ) worn by a model with no bust would not not look very good

Jul 24 18 06:15 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Sometimes the models and the wardrobe just don't match up (size wise) when you're at a shoot, especially if both are client provided  .  .  .  there's a lot of tape, and clips (mostly the chip bag clips) being used just outside the viewing area of the camera  .  .  .  wink  In most cases I've found that petite, extra small and small are the best choices for swimsuits, seems you can almost always get the suit to stretch to your needs to get the shot!

SOS

Jul 24 18 07:20 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Philip Brown wrote:

aha....
thanks for the ID.
and I agree, it looks good when vertical.
however, this now comes back to my original question: What to do with it when horizontal?

You could not put models in poses that don't work for their physiques or at least don't show the images.

Jul 24 18 10:26 am Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

If the model wears a pantyliner, that will prevent anything from showing in the front.

Very thin, see-through material typically isn't flattering, especially if it's also tight

Also, if you're going to be purchasing wardrobe, you can buy the same item in two different sizes so that the model can try them on to see which one fits best.

Jul 24 18 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Not every idea works, not every outfit works, learn when to stop fiddling with what doesn't work & go shoot something new.

Jul 25 18 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Philip Brown wrote:
... working with a model and a particular one-piece swimsuit.

...i'm wondering if this requires tape or clips or something

If you are writing about the red one-piece garment that was shown in the critique forum, I think that the underlying problem was that the garment was a bad fit on the model, but, assuming that you had no choice but to persist with the garment, I would rely on using spring clips placed out of sight of the camera to gather in excess fabric. 

Safety pins might also be useful, but I find that they tend to tear holes in stretch and lightweight fabrics. 

(The spring clips that I have in mind are the ones that you can buy in a stationery store - they come in various sizes but I favour the two smaller ones because they are easier to conceal.  I have also used the larger sizes to tension backdrops.)

Jul 25 18 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

k thanks.

I need to remember to put some clips in my camera bag big_smile

Jul 26 18 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Give the model the choice of which piece she wants to wear smile

Jul 27 18 07:28 am Link