Forums > Model Colloquy > Payment - Is it normal

Model

Sarah Juile

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Is it normal in the modeling world for the client hiring you to send you a check and ask that you also distribute money to the stylist, makeup artist, and others?

This seems odd to me, but I am just getting started.

I am weary of a check bouncing.

Thank you in advance!
Sarah

Jul 26 18 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

No, it is a scam. Never accept a check under those conditions.

Jul 26 18 05:19 am Link

Model

Sarah Juile

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Thank you.. I had a very odd feeling about it.

Jul 26 18 05:51 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Sarah, I am just over in Sebring and check my messages here everyday. Just let me know when you have a question and I will keep you clear of all the riff raff here. Best of luck.

Jul 26 18 06:38 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

Yeah, if a check bounces, it's "on you".

Jul 26 18 06:55 am Link

Model

Sarah Juile

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Thank you all. You are just backing up what my gut was telling me.

Jul 26 18 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
No, it is a scam. Never accept a check under those conditions.

Yeah, I agree, scam here.  Everybody gets their own check.

Jul 26 18 06:20 pm Link

Model

Sarah Juile

Fort Myers, Florida, US

I just got another "offer" same type of wording - I agree seems like a scam. Is there a way to report these profiles to Model Mayhem?

"JOB DETAILS:
The shoot is scheduled for August 11th and 12th 2018. Outfits would be provided by Dion and put together by a US based wardrobe stylist on the day of the shoot and photographed by a well seasoned photographer. The shoot is just for 2 days and you would be paid $1200 for the whole project, the Job is Urgent so you are to get back to us as soon as possible so that we can arrange on how to get you the part payment, meet the stylists and other crew members. You would be paid the initial payment of $400 to guarantee your participation in the shoot, as part of our working policy and ethics of our company, we give part payment to any client before we proceed with any job and balance immediately after the work. As I told you earlier this project is very urgent, we would be taking care of your payment, accommodation and other expenses. The part payment would be mailed directly to you along side with funds for fashion accessories for the shoot. Exact Location and time would be made known to you soon, this is to ensure that we pick a convenient time and place for the shoot.

NOTE: As soon as you get the payment, you would deduct $400 and we would use the balance to purchase fashion accessories for the shoot. We would contact you as soon as we receive all your information, if you are interested kindly get back to us with your details as follows: "

Jul 27 18 04:33 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Scam warnings and what to look for:  https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/575330

If these messages are coming through the MM system please contact a Moderator so they can shut down the accounts. https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod

Jul 27 18 04:39 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Sarah Juile wrote:
I just got another "offer" same type of wording - I agree seems like a scam. Is there a way to report these profiles to Model Mayhem?

Did the scam come through the MM message system?
There is a flag icon at the upper right that you can click on. This will send a copy of the message to the moderators.

Also:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod
Known as CAM.

You are getting these messages because the scammers search out new members. Hopefully the messages will taper off.

"seems like a scam"
Never cash a check and then forward money to a third party.

Jul 27 18 04:44 am Link

Model

Sarah Juile

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Thank you everyone. The actual offers are coming via email, but the contact was on here, so ill flag that.

Jul 27 18 05:10 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:
Sarah, I am just over in Sebring and check my messages here everyday. Just let me know when you have a question and I will keep you clear of all the riff raff here. Best of luck.[/quot

:-)  Riff raff ? naw say it isn't so.  Kidding, to Lisa you listen.

Jul 27 18 05:46 am Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:
Sarah, I am just over in Sebring and check my messages here everyday. Just let me know when you have a question and I will keep you clear of all the riff raff here. Best of luck.

Listen to Lisa. She has been here long enough to know her way past the rocks and shoals of MM. I'm also local to you (Lakeland) and would be glad to help you as well.

Jul 27 18 06:49 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Sarah Juile wrote:
Thank you everyone. The actual offers are coming via email, but the contact was on here, so ill flag that.

Remove your email address. Scammers love newbie models who post their email address somewhere because sooner or later a newbie will take their bait. Guess who wins.

Aug 02 18 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Reminds me of the “Nigerian  Scam”

My  feeling is whether something is a scam or just an unusual demand, why deal with it?  The majority of photographers won’t ask you to take on such responsibilities, so in my view it’s best to simply pass on those who do, at least until you have the experience you don’t need to ask others.  I’m the same with models who have atypical demands - I usually just pass.

Aug 02 18 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

TouchofEleganceStudios wrote:

Remove your email address. Scammers love newbie models who post their email address somewhere because sooner or later a newbie will take their bait. Guess who wins.

+1. And since your web site is linked in your MM profile, don't forget about the email you have listed there.

Aug 03 18 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

TouchofEleganceStudios wrote:

Eye of the World wrote:
+1. And since your web site is linked in your MM profile, don't forget about the email you have listed there.

Your email address should be a secret.

Aug 04 18 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Sarah Juile wrote:
Is it normal in the modeling world for the client hiring you to send you a check and ask that you also distribute money to the stylist, makeup artist, and others?

This seems odd to me, but I am just getting started.

I am weary of a check bouncing.

Thank you in advance!
Sarah

No, it's a scam.  Photographer pays model, mua, hairstylist, and everybody else separately.

Aug 31 18 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Sep 01 18 05:57 pm Link