Forums > Model Colloquy > Business cards for models

Photographer

BobBarford Photo

York, Pennsylvania, US

I am curious on thoughts for business cards for models?  I find that some models carry them, while others may not. If everyone has done their homework during a 1:1 photoshoot, it 'may' not be as important, but what about more general events such as social events or meet & greets? This is not to say that everyone should have top of the line cards, but sometimes I believe that some form of contact info is important.
Thinking even more about this topic, is it more common just to add contact info into a smartphone?

Aug 01 18 07:52 am Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Back in the stone ages, when I modeled, I had business cards. They had my email address, a photo, my website address, and MM and OMP numbers. Sometimes I'd leave a small stack at a studio or with a photographer or MUA I worked with often, in case they wanted to recommend me. Mostly I found them handy for meet and greets and group shoots, as those could often get hectic.

Agency models are more likely to carry comp cards, I imagine. But I never was one, so not sure on that.

Nowadays... I still carry business cards, just not for modeling. In fact, I have two... one for my professional self with all my contact info on it (because I'm too low on the totem pole at my job to have business cards, I guess) and one for the meetup group I run.

ETA: I suppose it's worth noting a couple things.

One: I make my living doing brand development, graphic design, and marketing management. I designed my own cards and had them printed out of my own pocket. I never would have asked a photographer to do this for me, and found it quite pretentious when photographers did this without me asking them to (worse if they tried to charge me for printable files, which did happen).

Two: I always asked permission from photographers before using their images on my cards, and never used images with a photographer's watermark on my own cards.

Aug 01 18 08:23 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Ten years ago, I had a comp card with my stats, genres, contact info, MM# and OMP#. I took them to meet and greets, group shoots, workshops, etc. At some point, around 2012, people really just stopped asking for business cards, and when I traveled I was doing almost exclusively one-on-one shoots rather than groups or workshops - so I stopped having them printed. I've thought recently about getting generic business cards printed again, but it seems sort of counterproductive, unless I started touring as a workshop model again, which I haven't done in years.

Aug 01 18 10:24 am Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

BobBarford Photo wrote:
I am curious on thoughts for business cards for models?

A  model having a  Model Comp card  with them for  Open Calls, Go Sees and castings …is still  relevant and  important   … very  often more so than just  having their  full  portfolio to present   .

More often than not … casting directors / booking editors /agents /photographers just don’t have time or inclination to look through the entire portfolio of all the models who are present at the casting ....So if there is interest… we will request for the model to leave their comp card..

Not too long ago the standard for comp cards was a headshot on the front of the card with a models name , contact info and stats and 3 to 4 images on the back. My comp card sizes are still  5.5 x 8.5

Currently (2018) you see a mix of images on a models comp   showing  a  body shot ..  ... photos in monochrome and on  varying comp card sizing .

And quite a few top agencies are showing just 1 image on the front or back of the comp card.

For this year’s NYFW and designer shows… most of the fashion agencies featured the model comp cards with a headshot on the front and a single  body shot on the back
Note: a models comp card with their stats ....is still the most important feature to be included and seen on a model  comp card.

Height, waist, hip, bust, dress, shoe size, hair  and eye color all should all be listed on the card …together with an agencies logo and booking contact information.

It should be noted that most agencies today (2018) use either in-house printing or assign exclusively with a printing house that specializes in model comp cards.

If you are freelancing and designing your comp card, I seriously recommend you seek the opinions from working professionals in the industry.
Also when working with a printer of your cards try to validate they are reputable service, and will print on  good quality paper stock.
Communicate with them and request the  agencies they print for so you can have reliance you are investing   with a printer that's printing agency standards.

Aug 02 18 07:50 am Link