Forums > Critique > Critique for Models and Photographers !!

Photographer

wesfoto

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks...times 3, I guess.

Give or take, I agree with what you've said, and have thought it myself. (Except for the "about me" part...it's not that I don't like to play by the rules, I'm definitely a rules guy, it's that I hate talking about myself in any way...even writing this feels like too much.)  I definitely agree there is a sameness that has been around for a decade, and I do need something new, I'm just not sure how to get there...or, in some cases, I know how to get there, but really don't like the style.  I'll keep that advice in the back of my brain, and work on it.

Thanks.

M E Y E R wrote:

M E Y E R wrote:

M E Y E R wrote:
Hey, nice to see a familiar port, I remember your stuff, or critiquing your before, years ago I presume.

I'll keep it pretty short, mostly because you can't teach an old dog new tricks, haha.

Your about me section. What happened ? I get it, you dont want to play by the rules, but it still would be nice for models to read a little about you, more to rule out whether or not you are a psycho, which your not because we have talked, but just reading nothing as a potential model would be a little risky, I like to see something here, anything, just to have an idea of who you are. But the testimonials are helpful , but still, I would fill it in a little bit, its a trust thing, no one really cares about hearing about you per se.

Inside your port its great, very nice high quality images, but I have two minor issues. One is models with their head back so their chin faces upward and sort of makes a mushroom looking thing at the top of their body.  I realize sometimes the face and body can distract from one another on certain individuals (some more than others) but this type of pose kind of kills some of your shots for me.

You obviously know how to take photos, but you shoot in a style that has a slightly dated feel and I would guess you are not 22 years old, haha. I'm not saying its good or bad, but I would consider an update, upgrade, just like an old cell phone, I could picture a kid saying "its time to upgrade your phone dad".  The red shoes and hat in that one photo looks like something out of an a nude art magazine in 1997. We are all guilty of this to some degree, we are a product of our times, but I love looking at photos from 'new' or 'fresh' eyes and seeing new directions and styles emerge, this is kind of the opposite, and again, Im guilty, we all are unless you are 22 ? Are you? just kidding.

Anyway, you get my point. I see those photos and picture a station wagon and a dad bod, some old stories about "one day" "20 years ago" Haha, don't worry Im old too, but your photos would look way better if they all looked like the one you had a ton of "instagram likes" on. The other ones , while slightly similar are way too dated looking.

Thanks,

Ted

I meant to edit not quote, but now you have two versions haha.

Sep 27 18 08:43 am Link

Model

Cambo

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hi Ted - So sorry I didn't mean to ignore this ( I was expecting to get an email if you replied...)

Thank you for taking the time to look at my profile!

I appreciate the valuable in put, both to know what is working and what can be added / improved upon - And I will be sure to execute the advice as best I can!

Best regards and thanks again! = )

M E Y E R wrote:

This is probably going to be one of my faster critiques, but mostly because so many things are where they should be. Your about me is direct and really shows a great attitude, and when I look through your photos I can see some variety, but its not all over the place.  There are a few photos that you could remove, one sitting on the railing perhaps, but overall, for how long you've been doing it, great start.

Something that I often consider male or female is willingness or comfort regarding nudity, not because I have a preference for shooting nudity, never really been my thing, but an openness about that can certainly open up a few doors, but such a personal thing that I would never suggest to do it or not do it, but always something to consider.

I also like that you are not trying to hide things such as height by displaying shots from crazy angles. You have a great physique, great attitude, seem good to work with, just need more experience, so just keep doing what you are doing.

I would try to shoot with photographers who can shoot outdoors well and show you smiling in a more 'lifestyle' type of editorial shoot. I would love to see some smiling fun shots maybe at the beach, but it has to be with a good photographer.

That is one of the main things I would focus on - being open to as many shoots as possible to see what comes out, but still keeping in mind specific directions that would round out your portfolio.

Anyway, looks great !

Thanks so much

Ted

Sep 29 18 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I rarely shoot now, but critiques are always a chance to learn and grow.
Thank you.

Oct 16 18 11:36 am Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

Hi smile
I enjoyed looking through your work
Please view mine on my website as mm is not up to date: www.juliarabkin.com
Thanks!

Oct 17 18 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Saxegaard Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I would be honoured if you would take your time to do mine! Thank you for doing this!

Oct 18 18 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

0ptical_anomaly

Roseburg, Oregon, US

Hi there! Just followed you on IG where I've been for a little while but I am very, very new here. I would genuinely love an open and honest critique. I am fairly new to portraits and have slowly been integrating people into nature and landscapes. I would like to know the good (if any) the bad, and the worst of it. Thank you in advance for you time.

Oct 30 18 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ellard

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Hey, I’d love to get your insights on my work

Nov 14 18 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Chris Ryan Photography

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Good evening. Please feel free to critique and leave feedback. I will do the same. Thank you

Nov 17 18 08:03 pm Link

Model

Elena Antonia Pappas

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Hi Meyer I will follow you.......you follow me
Elena Pappas (@elena_pappas) 

. Would to know what you think smile

Nov 18 18 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Ellard

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Elena Antonia Pappas wrote:
Hi Meyer I will follow you.......you follow me
Elena Pappas (@elena_pappas) 

. Would to know what you think smile

While we're waiting for Meyer, at least I can tell you that *I* think you have an incredible portfolio smile

Nov 18 18 09:13 am Link

Model

Elena Antonia Pappas

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Aww Ellard thats so nice THANK YOU.you have made my day a happy day

ELENA
XXX

Nov 18 18 01:41 pm Link