Forums > Critique > Critiques Welcome - I want to improve!

Photographer

Dionysus Photo Imagery

San Diego, California, US

I just started my account on MM by posting 10 shots I've done from 10 different models this past year.  Eventually I'll get organized and post some more, but I would appreciate some constructive criticism to help me to improve.  I'd like to go back and eventually redo the post processing on the ones I think are the best.

I know one of my shortcomings is the lack of creativity to make my photos stand out.  But that's hard to teach, it's something I need to work on but any ideas on how to improve there is appreciated.  Just changing the shooting locations I know is a good start.

On the technical side, I'd like to hear what others think too.  I do my own post processing in LR/PS but I'm mostly self taught from online tutorials.  It's hard for me to judge my own work and know if I'm overdoing it.

Thanks in advance.  I'm really looking forward to trying new things and improving.

Nov 23 19 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Everytime I have visited LA - I marvel at the Beautiful Natural Light there

Which of course enhances any type of Model Photography in my opinion

even if its natural light streaming through a window to light a boudoir shot

Beyond imrpoving your lightinig - I think better composition and more interesting posinig would enhance your photos

Your Models are Beautiful  but You arent doing them justice

and that first Model Photo in your portfolio should go as it is not flattering at all

Nov 23 19 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45925873 +18
This image desperately needed fill and rim lighting. She disappears into the black and all that shows is the ass.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45925869 +18
Too dark. Lighten it up.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45925866 +18
Nice view of this model's backside, but the image missed in its use of the mirror. All that wide mirror and you had the model blocking most of her reflection.You could have had her stand back and/or to the left, or the camera to the right, and you could have captured both her and much more of her reflection.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45925865
Pretty good capture. Effective lighting, nice pose.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45925864
Too contrasty, IMO. Deep shadows on face could have used fill.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45925863
Effective image except her hair disappears completely. A touch of hairlight would've helped.

Nov 24 19 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Hello fellow Angeleno,

You asked for my critique on another thread. I'll answer here.

I'm not going to critique each image. I think they all have the same problem, which is the problem of most photographers here: Not knowing what makes a good picture, or how to execute it.

If you really want to improve, you have to first learn what makes a good photograph. You have to become photo-literate.
Look at books on the history of photography. Make yourself familiar with at least some of the important photographers. Look at their images; their exposure, their use of lighting, how they compose (fore-ground, middle-ground and back-ground), where they put their shadows, color palette, etc. More importantly: What is the emotional impact of the picture? What makes the picture transmit an emotion or an idea?

Next, get your technique down so that it becomes automatic; especially lighting.
If you don't develop your technique, you won't have the capacity to express yourself.
Read up on photographic technique, and then look at your favorite pictures from the history of photography books you have.
Figure out how they were taken, and if you want, you can try to copy them only as an exercise for yourself.
I recommend you try to develop your own look and style.

After you know what you are doing, unleash your imagination. You'll have more tools to be creative with. With more tools, more ideas will come.

Since you are local, feel free to reach out, if you have any questions or would like me to clarify.

Best of luck,

Jorge

P.S. I have a Dionysus:  https://www.gershonkreimer.com/index/distortions#6

Nov 24 19 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Dionysus Photo Imagery

I truly appreciate the critiques.  When the shortcomings are pointed out they become obvious to me.  I'm going to try to incorporate some of the recommendations in my next round of shoots next month.

I like darker shots with a lot of shadows (low key?), so that was the look I was going for in some of these.  But maybe it doesn't work, I need to learn better how to do it.  When I was first shooting I just lit everything up and the photos seemed to lack any drama, for lack of a better word.

Nov 24 19 09:30 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Every comments are well said...
In your profile you mentioned be interested in about 10 genres of model photography, maybe you could illustrate some of those genres!..

Nov 24 19 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Nelson Photos

West Hollywood, California, US

I waited until some of the more experienced photographers here commented.  My suggestion is simply shoot outside, learn, and develop a style.  Shooting indoors lingerie shoots is a trap that is not forcing you to grow as a photographer.

Nov 24 19 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

BMA PHOTO

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Dionysus Photo Imagery wrote:
I just started my account on MM by posting 10 shots I've done from 10 different models this past year.  Eventually I'll get organized and post some more, but I would appreciate some constructive criticism to help me to improve.  I'd like to go back and eventually redo the post processing on the ones I think are the best.

I know one of my shortcomings is the lack of creativity to make my photos stand out.  But that's hard to teach, it's something I need to work on but any ideas on how to improve there is appreciated.  Just changing the shooting locations I know is a good start.

On the technical side, I'd like to hear what others think too.  I do my own post processing in LR/PS but I'm mostly self taught from online tutorials.  It's hard for me to judge my own work and know if I'm overdoing it.

Thanks in advance.  I'm really looking forward to trying new things and improving.

Hi, You're shooting all the models very in-effectively. Why not shoot their features instead of fingernails and arms? Post the hair too and those will make huge strides in your work!

It's not creativity you're just shooting them all wrong-ineffectively so it becomes an easy fix. Also the bent wrists make pics look the worst. No bent wrists except fashion pretty much. They distract and break up the models smooth lines.

Nov 25 19 11:04 am Link

Photographer

HeartSpur

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

There's quite a lot of vignetting on the photos. It seems like you're using it as a bandaid to fix flat lighting in post production. It doesn't look good! There are actually some very easy ways to create dramatic lighting in a hotel room - turn off all lights except one, close the blinds and leave a sliver of light. Good luck

Nov 25 19 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Dionysus Photo Imagery

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to take a look at my photos and giving me suggestions.  I'll be doing some more shoots next month and your comments give me a lot to work on.  I need to not just do the same thing over again.

I do like the darker look with a lot of shadows, and that's what I was trying to do in many of these from the past year.  Not underexposed which is an issue with some of my shots which I see now.  I love the low key images I've seen in portfolios, and I know I'm not really doing true low key as I have too much in the background too.  Maybe just being halfway there is part of the problem.  I can up the lighting, most of my stuff from the last 8 years or so is lit more traditionally, and probably overlit.  But I was trying to do something more dramatic, but it's clear I'm not there yet.

I'm thinking I should next just try to improve with normal lighting and then start trying more darker, shadowy and even low key lighting after.  I have 5 or 6 shoots lined up for December and looking to work on the many things you've pointed out.

I especially appreciate Jorge's comment.  I need to do some study.  There is so much photography content online, it's overwhelming though, and separating the valuable stuff from the bad isn't easy.  Maybe I'll look into taking a class, it would definitely lead to some inspirations.

Thank you again!

Nov 27 19 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Dionysus Photo Imagery

I have another question too.  In many cases, I'm not working with professional models or even amateur models.  Just ladies who would like some photos of themselves. 

In your shoots, how many finished shots do you usually get out of a single shoot?  Just the one great shot for the portfolio?  Or 5 or 6, or more?  I know I'm trying to do too much, as many of the models want a lot of shots, so I usually end up doing about 4 locations in the room with many different poses (standing, sitting, lying, etc.).  Out a single shoot, I'll usually end up doing post on 12-30 to give back to the model.  I think trying to do less quantity and variety and go for higher quality on just a few shots will help also. 

Learning how to plan, set-up, and execute a photoshoot is something I've never studied and something I need to learn how to do better.  Although it's a balance between me trying to get one great shot and the model who would like a couple dozen to post on her facebook account.

Nov 27 19 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

HeartSpur

Youtube is a fantastic source for inspiration and ideas. The recommendation algorithm is such that you're shown the best of the best videos (channels and videos with the most views, engagements) based on your search and viewing histories. It's also a fantastic source to keep up to date with industry trends. Take advantage of this. It's a new medium and way to learn that wasn't available even just 5 years ago. Type in "photography" + whatever other keyword... and sift your way through some videos and you'll quickly learn what the good ones are. Learn how to learn - this too is a skill.

Skillshare has some nice courses that are short but well structured. They bring you through the whole process and is invaluable for someone who's just starting.

Of course, even with all the great resources available to you, the only way to really learn is to go and actually do it. Mental masturbation only gets you so far. You said you already have 5-6 shoots lined up for December - that's awesome!

Nov 27 19 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Dionysus Photo Imagery

Quentin Studios wrote:
Learn how to learn - this too is a skill.

Skillshare has some nice courses that are short but well structured. They bring you through the whole process and is invaluable for someone who's just starting.

Of course, even with all the great resources available to you, the only way to really learn is to go and actually do it. Mental masturbation only gets you so far. You said you already have 5-6 shoots lined up for December - that's awesome!

I get that completely.  In the old days it was almost easier, go to the bookstore and buy a highly recommended book or take a class.  Now it's the Internet, and the content is overwhelming, and much of it not good.  The flip side is there is a lot of great content for free, finding it is the key.

I have a 17+ hour flight from LAX to Singapore Friday, I'm going to spend some time tomorrow downloading some stuff to read on that flight. 

If there are any specific resources available, please let me know.  Thank you again.  And I hope the stuff I post in the new year shows some improvement!

Nov 27 19 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

HeartSpur

For youtube channels, I recommend:

Peter Mckinnon - great production value, entertainment, motivation
Michael Sasser - Boudoir/ Posing (His paid guides are beginner level, I personally don't consider them worth the money)
Mango Street - Fashion portraiture - nice simple guides/ tips, lovely colours
Ted Forbes - Very knowledgable person and old name in the field. You'll find plenty of good content here
Fstoppers "Critique The Community" - Critique series. Learn what others see when they look at a photo
Sorelle Amore - She coined the term "advanced selfies" - selfies that look professional. She'll teach you a lot about the female form/ posing/ vibe etc

There's plenty more, but thats a good list to start with...

Books:
Picture Perfect Posing - Very good book on how to set up poses - super detailed
Light Science & Magic - Nice book on lighting, recommended by anyone worth their salt - rather complex, goes into the theoretical, so not the most efficient book if you want to get good quick
Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis - A book on illustration. You can learn a lot about portraiture composition

Have fun!

Nov 28 19 12:10 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Roy Nelson Photos wrote:
I waited until some of the more experienced photographers here commented.  My suggestion is simply shoot outside, learn, and develop a style.  Shooting indoors lingerie shoots is a trap that is not forcing you to grow as a photographer.

Well said.

Nov 28 19 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Dionysus Photo Imagery

Quentin Studios wrote:
For youtube channels, I recommend:

Peter Mckinnon - great production value, entertainment, motivation
Michael Sasser - Boudoir/ Posing (His paid guides are beginner level, I personally don't consider them worth the money)
Mango Street - Fashion portraiture - nice simple guides/ tips, lovely colours
Ted Forbes - Very knowledgable person and old name in the field. You'll find plenty of good content here
Fstoppers "Critique The Community" - Critique series. Learn what others see when they look at a photo
Sorelle Amore - She coined the term "advanced selfies" - selfies that look professional. She'll teach you a lot about the female form/ posing/ vibe etc

There's plenty more, but thats a good list to start with...

Books:
Picture Perfect Posing - Very good book on how to set up poses - super detailed
Light Science & Magic - Nice book on lighting, recommended by anyone worth their salt - rather complex, goes into the theoretical, so not the most efficient book if you want to get good quick
Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis - A book on illustration. You can learn a lot about portraiture composition

Have fun!

Great list, I really appreciate you taking the time to share it with me.  Thanks.

Nov 28 19 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dionysus Photo Imagery wrote:
In your shoots, how many finished shots do you usually get out of a single shoot?  Just the one great shot for the portfolio?  Or 5 or 6, or more?  I know I'm trying to do too much, as many of the models want a lot of shots, so I usually end up doing about 4 locations in the room with many different poses (standing, sitting, lying, etc.).  Out a single shoot, I'll usually end up doing post on 12-30 to give back to the model.  I think trying to do less quantity and variety and go for higher quality on just a few shots will help also.

I shoot TF and will go the extra mile on edits (very similar to the numbers you quoted), even processing what I may consider weaker photos (which, amusingly, are sometimes the model's favourites). I then use a subset for my own website and just one for my MM portfolio.

I'm not very picky about getting that one great shot, nor what people decide to post on their port/FB/IG/etc. I don't think it matters all that much, really, but I'm just an amateur with nothing at stake. You have some really nice photos and attractive models, hope to see more from you in the future.

Nov 28 19 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

Use large lights, and bring your lights closer to the subject. Then the subject will be bright but the wall, being proportionately farther, will be darker. That will add drama.

Nov 30 19 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

Aside from agreeing with the others in here about learning lighting and start by doing outdoor shoots, paying close attention to how light and shadow falls, I would add, learn how to tell a story and not just take a photo of a beautiful woman.

Jan 05 20 09:06 am Link