Forums > Critique > Please Critique My Work

Photographer

Arthur Ball Images

Port Republic, Maryland, US

Hi all-
   After a few months of work on portraits, it's time to take a break, assess where I am and get some feedback.  I'm basically an amateur landscape photographer, and six months ago I decided to attempt to expand my skills into portraits.  I've attended a few workshops, hired MM models and have been helped by a professional photographer. 

If it helps, I shoot with a Sony A7ii with FE 85mm F1.8 and FE 50mm F1.8 lenses.  I use Photoshop CC for processing.

I will take any and all suggestions to improve any part of my work.   

Thanks!

Nov 24 19 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

BMA PHOTO

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Hi,
You need to learn the purpose of a model image, your just shooting. Models need to be posed, hair needs to be posed and you don't want that hand up near models face, to all the hands, knees, elbows, forearms to shins in the image. Did you date a someone for their hands, knees or elbows? Probably not so make images about what you like and by the cardinal rule of model photography. Easy fixes if you learn what to shoot!

Nov 25 19 11:01 am Link

Photographer

HeartSpur

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

I like the copious amounts of chairs you seem to have found to create these images. Looks like you have good access to nice photo locations... and that goes a long way in creating the mood and story of a photo.

I noticed that in almost all the images, the model is looking directly at the camera. Maybe you've selected these photos because they feel impactful to you. Maybe it reminds you of a personal connection with the models from the photoshoot. But objectively, for someone who's a bit further removed, it feels a bit contrived and unnatural. It's feels like a "pose, hold and look at the camera". There's a time and a place for shots of the model looking straight at the camera, but given the overrepresentation of these images on your portfolio, I feel you should consider adding some variety to the way you shoot and images you select.

Nov 25 19 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Arthur Ball Images

BMA PHOTO wrote:
Hi,
You need to learn the purpose of a model image, your just shooting. Models need to be posed, hair needs to be posed and you don't want that hand up near models face, to all the hands, knees, elbows, forearms to shins in the image. Did you date a someone for their hands, knees or elbows? Probably not so make images about what you like and by the cardinal rule of model photography. Easy fixes if you learn what to shoot!

Thanks for the comments. I kind of like hands, but I take your point and will try to not overdo it. Other than that I think maybe I need to try to slow down when shooting and more critically look at what I'm shooting. 

Thanks!

Nov 27 19 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Arthur Ball Images

Quentin Studios wrote:
I like the copious amounts of chairs you seem to have found to create these images. Looks like you have good access to nice photo locations... and that goes a long way in creating the mood and story of a photo.

I noticed that in almost all the images, the model is looking directly at the camera. Maybe you've selected these photos because they feel impactful to you. Maybe it reminds you of a personal connection with the models from the photoshoot. But objectively, for someone who's a bit further removed, it feels a bit contrived and unnatural. It's feels like a "pose, hold and look at the camera". There's a time and a place for shots of the model looking straight at the camera, but given the overrepresentation of these images on your portfolio, I feel you should consider adding some variety to the way you shoot and images you select.

Thanks for the comments. I like chairs, it comes from some of the other types if photography that I do.   I never noticed the eyes thing, but once you see it, it does look a little off. I will try to shuffle some pics around.  Something else I need to think about while shooting.

Thanks!

Nov 27 19 05:34 am Link

Photographer

BMA PHOTO

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Arthur Ball Images wrote:

Thanks for the comments. I kind of like hands, but I take your point and will try to not overdo it. Other than that I think maybe I need to try to slow down when shooting and more critically look at what I'm shooting. 

Thanks!

Problem is hands distract. writing especially script across image distract most, but those shooting hands lose out. Need to shoot model features but that's just a small part of it. Don't remember since being 6th person in New England on MM any comment, "nice hands". Goes for knees, elbows, shins, forearms to what is closest to camera that I may not have mentioned. I see alot of images with chair arms or hands to foreheads to top of heads closest part to camera and so all of us need to watch for what is closest. have fun! Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 27 19 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Arthur Ball Images

BMA PHOTO wrote:
Problem is hands distract. writing especially script across image distract most, but those shooting hands lose out. Need to shoot model features but that's just a small part of it. Don't remember since being 6th person in New England on MM any comment, "nice hands". Goes for knees, elbows, shins, forearms to what is closest to camera that I may not have mentioned. I see alot of images with chair arms or hands to foreheads to top of heads closest part to camera and so all of us need to watch for what is closest. have fun! Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks again.  I see what you're saying, and will try to keep that in mind for next time.  One of the challenging things I've noticed in model photography is that there are endless little details in posing, lighting, hair, jewelry, background, etc to keep track of while shooting.  It takes a lot a discipline to stay focused on everything at once. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.  I miss NE this time of year, I'm originally from MA. 

Thanks again for the advice!

Nov 27 19 07:04 am Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

You have some nice images and obviously have access to several beautiful models.
As has already been mentioned the models are all looking directly into the camera.  That works for a lot of images where you are trying to establish that connection of model and viewer but don’t limit yourself to just that one dynamic.   A model looking away or at something that is out of our view is often very intriguing. 

Hands are problematic but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t allow them in your shots.  A couple of things to remember is the placement of the hands must make sense in the context of your shot.  In addition they should be posed just as the rest of the shot is.  They can’t just be randomly held.  A models fingers should be delicately bent and the side of the hand facing the camera.  Never square on to the back of the hand.
Be careful with hand placement.  Depending on the focal length you are shooting the camera can make the hands look huge if they are the body part closest to the camera.  If you are shooting fairly wide, under 50mm for example,  a close shot of the models face with her hand in front of it will make her hand look bigger than her face.

Last suggestion, most of your shots the models shoulders are square to the camera.  My mentor would call them “linebacker” shoulders.  Turning the model to somewhere around 45 degrees so that you shoot across her chest rather than into will be a much more flattering look for the model.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Nov 27 19 10:40 am Link

Photographer

The GlamourMaker

Clayton, North Carolina, US

I'm sorry to be so raw, but your images are soulless. You presented yourself as an experienced photographer but the lack of basic photography skills is very noticeable in your images.
Find the reason to hold a camera and go back to the basics.

Thanks for sharing.

Lou - The GlamourMaker

Nov 27 19 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Arthur Ball Images

KeithD3 wrote:
You have some nice images and obviously have access to several beautiful models.
As has already been mentioned the models are all looking directly into the camera.  That works for a lot of images where you are trying to establish that connection of model and viewer but don’t limit yourself to just that one dynamic.   A model looking away or at something that is out of our view is often very intriguing. 

Hands are problematic but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t allow them in your shots.  A couple of things to remember is the placement of the hands must make sense in the context of your shot.  In addition they should be posed just as the rest of the shot is.  They can’t just be randomly held.  A models fingers should be delicately bent and the side of the hand facing the camera.  Never square on to the back of the hand.
Be careful with hand placement.  Depending on the focal length you are shooting the camera can make the hands look huge if they are the body part closest to the camera.  If you are shooting fairly wide, under 50mm for example,  a close shot of the models face with her hand in front of it will make her hand look bigger than her face.

Last suggestion, most of your shots the models shoulders are square to the camera.  My mentor would call them “linebacker” shoulders.  Turning the model to somewhere around 45 degrees so that you shoot across her chest rather than into will be a much more flattering look for the model.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Yes, this helps, thanks for your time!

Nov 27 19 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Arthur Ball Images

The GlamourMaker wrote:
I'm sorry to be so raw, but your images are soulless. You presented yourself as an experienced photographer but the lack of basic photography skills is very noticeable in your images.
Find the reason to hold a camera and go back to the basics.

Thanks for sharing.

Lou - The GlamourMaker

Hey, no worries, call it like you see it. I'm trying to improve and take advantage of you all who are far more experienced than I am.   My issue with comments like this is there's not a real actionable path forward based on your comments.  Would you be willing to point out a few areas in my images where my lack of skills is evident?

Nov 27 19 01:14 pm Link