Forums > Critique > New photos uploaded, would love feedback

Model

Amanda_G

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi!  I just uploaded some new mature content...it was my first time going full nude.  I stepped out of my comfort zone, but I'm happy with how they turned out.

Would love some feedback on them! (first 4)

Thank you!!

Dec 10 19 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Amanda_G wrote:
Hi!  I just uploaded some new mature content...it was my first time going full nude.  I stepped out of my comfort zone, but I'm happy with how they turned out.

Would love some feedback on them! (first 4)

Thank you!!

First off, I think you're lovely. Actually, kinda glorious.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45975363 +18
Beautiful shot. The setting and the expression give a strong sense of voyeurism, almost as if walking in on you showering. For me, the total blur-out of the foreground obstruction was a bit of a distraction. Didn't need it to be in sharp focus, but would have been nice to have some idea of what it was. But that may just be personal tastes getting in the way. All in all, though, beautiful you.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45975362 +18
Didn't like this at all. The square-on pose made you look thick in the waist and bottom-heavy. The angle of the shot on your face exaggerated the jaw.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/191210/13/5df0103d88215_m.jpg
You're lovely, but the image is weak, IMO. Washed-out lighting, color-temperature is skewed blue, and you're dead-center in a landscape orientation. The image seems to have tossed out all other priorities for the sake of catching that cleavage.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45975291 +18
Not a fan of silhouette images in a model's portfolio. A model's port should be showing her off, not concealing her.

The first of the four is definitely a keeper. The other three are, IMO, definitely not.

Dec 12 19 01:38 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Dec 12 19 02:00 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

None of them are terrible, especially since they don't look like amateur snapshots, but none of them really impress me either.

Overall, I think the lighting lacks any real depth or creativity.  The poses don't really flatter your figure either, and are also a little too rigid.  You connect well with the camera though, which is good.

The silhouette group is okay, but there's nothing really unique about and the poses are kind of textbook.

I'm in L.A. as well.  If you ever want to shoot together, I'd be glad to help expand your portfolio.

Dec 12 19 02:02 am Link

Model

Amanda_G

Orca Bay Images wrote:

First off, I think you're lovely. Actually, kinda glorious.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45975363 +18
Beautiful shot. The setting and the expression give a strong sense of voyeurism, almost as if walking in on you showering. For me, the total blur-out of the foreground obstruction was a bit of a distraction. Didn't need it to be in sharp focus, but would have been nice to have some idea of what it was. But that may just be personal tastes getting in the way. All in all, though, beautiful you.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45975362 +18
Didn't like this at all. The square-on pose made you look thick in the waist and bottom-heavy. The angle of the shot on your face exaggerated the jaw.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/191210/13/5df0103d88215_m.jpg
You're lovely, but the image is weak, IMO. Washed-out lighting, color-temperature is skewed blue, and you're dead-center in a landscape orientation. The image seems to have tossed out all other priorities for the sake of catching that cleavage.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45975291 +18
Not a fan of silhouette images in a model's portfolio. A model's port should be showing her off, not concealing her.

The first of the four is definitely a keeper. The other three are, IMO, definitely not.

Hi!  Thank you for the generous critique.  I really appreciate the feedback.   I agree about the angle of the jaw in that second pic.  I'm still working on finding my angles and working them out.  My jaw can photograph really large, so I try to break out of the habit of chin up, and keeping it down haha.

I totally understand and hear everything you're saying.  Thanks again!!

Dec 12 19 01:12 pm Link

Model

Amanda_G

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
None of them are terrible, especially since they don't look like amateur snapshots, but none of them really impress me either.

Overall, I think the lighting lacks any real depth or creativity.  The poses don't really flatter your figure either, and are also a little too rigid.  You connect well with the camera though, which is good.

The silhouette group is okay, but there's nothing really unique about and the poses are kind of textbook.

I'm in L.A. as well.  If you ever want to shoot together, I'd be glad to help expand your portfolio.

Thank you for the feedback!  I'm still learning how to pose in ways that will flatter my figure.  I'm a curve model, so the more I learn and practice the better.

And thank you!!!!  Once I settle my finances a bit more, I'd be down to collaborate!   I'll remember you.

Dec 12 19 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

I will differ with the above opinions just a bit.  I like #4 the best.  It is the most interesting image.  The others are kinda cookie cutter, except for the blurring, which I don't care for.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Dec 12 19 02:39 pm Link

Model

Amanda_G

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:
I will differ with the above opinions just a bit.  I like #4 the best.  It is the most interesting image.  The others are kinda cookie cutter, except for the blurring, which I don't care for.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Thank you! 

I will take any and all opinions!  smile

Dec 12 19 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Amanda_G wrote:
I'm still working on finding my angles and working them out.

At this stage of your modeling experience, try everything that's within your personal limits. Different lighting styles, different poses, different looks and moods, and as many different photographers as you can schedule. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Mistakes can be excellent teachers. You won't find your strengths and weaknesses without pushing yourself and failing occasionally along the way.

While you won't have control over how the photographer works, you'll have control over what goes into your portfolio. Learn what makes an image strong and useful for your needs -- and what doesn't -- and develop a trust with the photographers you work with so you might have some say in what images you get (some photographers choose for you, some let you make the choices).

Dec 12 19 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Amanda_G wrote:
New photos uploaded, would love feedback

Meh at best,  imo Your prior work is much stronger.

Dec 13 19 02:54 am Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

You have a great look and are gorgeous!  I like the way you connect with the camera and your facial expressions are pretty solid.
Posing is something you need to work on.  Shoot as much as you can as often as you can with good photographers who have experience and can help you find your best angles.

The second image in your portfolio needs to come out.  The straight on angle is unflattering to just about everyone and in this shot it exaggerates the width of your shoulders and hips.  Remember your portfolio is your advertising.  Your other images are all positives for you but that one image undoes everything the others do for you.  IMHO of course.

I look forward to watching you expand your portfolio.  You have a lot of potential.

Dec 15 19 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

Kudos for pushing your comfort level. I'm glad you found a photographer you felt comfortable doing that with and decided to take the risk. As photographers that shoot nudes all the time, I think we can forget what it takes for new models to venture into nude work. We can all agree that you are quite gorgous. I hope you liked it enough to want to continue to shoot nudes.

Not a fan of the blur in the first image. I am a strong fan in your connection with the camera, big eyes and your face. I don't like the floating detached hand. I'd dump the second and third images. I like the forth. Mayb you can look over the other images from that shoot and pick some other images.

I like that you are open to criticism and seem to take it well. I agree that you need more experience and should shoot with the right photographers as often as you can. Angles and posing and the like. You have so much potential.

If you ever get to the Fresno CA area. Hit me up and we'll create like crazy and I'll do it as a trade shoot.

Jan 01 20 08:36 am Link

Photographer

ElegantOrchid

Largo, Florida, US

I love the eye contact in the first. The shoot through nature of the fabric (I'm guessing) on the photographer's side is a really nice touch.

The second, is fine. It's a little bland for my taste. More like a test shot. Often times, when doing something like this, I'll ask my model to think of a story with a strong emotion or a movie or something that brings life into your eyes and your face. It's a great way of really getting personality into every image.

The silhouettes are great! I really love that you were adventurous and went for it!

Good on you for finding a photographer who you feel comfortable with. Keep on working at it!! You're going to be phenomenal!

Jan 07 20 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

I like the first image.  I like the "fog".  The retouch mostly looks great.  I don't like the loss of shadow detail, which is worst  in the 1st and 4th images, but that's mostly me.  The second one also pretty good retouching, but poor composition.   Some would say the lighting isn't interesting enough, but I don't think that's the problem. 'Very inferior to the first.  The third is interesting pop art.  I like it.  The 4th , also good, but a little heavy on the split toning for my taste.  That and the poor shadow detail make give it a heavy-handed retouch look, and I think your other pieces are much better than this one.  The first pic is clearly worth keeping imo.  You look fabulous, btw.

Jan 08 20 12:28 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I have no doubt that you can succeed!! But you need to find photographers that you are comfortable with and share the creative part of posing and shooting and let you bring your own ideas.
My favorite images in my port are the result of a wonderful creative collaboration with the models and the camera!

Jan 08 20 03:53 pm Link