Forums > Critique > What kind of shoots would suit my look?

Model

devanshukashyap

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Hi all,

To all the experienced professionals here, I would like to ask regarding what kind of shoots except nudes/undergarment illustrations would most effectively suit me for good outcome and wholesome work. Please visit my profile for deriving suggestions. It would help me choose and stand out where i strongly fit.

I am willing to learn new arts/techniques to enrich phoroshoot performance.

Interests : Poses, body language , expressions, enacting poetry illustration,

Jan 04 20 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

First thing I noticed was the uniformity of expression. You've got one smile in the portfolio and all the rest are just deadpan expressions. They're all pretty static and  lifeless, too. I would suggest for a start:
1)  some gym or outdoor sports action looks. Lifting weights, stretching/yoga, playing soccer or cricket, etc.
2) some editorial/lifestyle looks, possibly interacting with other people, such as conversation with friends over drinks, lively debate or presentation in a work environment, having fun shopping in an open market with a female model.

Jan 04 20 03:07 pm Link

Model

devanshukashyap

Orca Bay Images wrote:
First thing I noticed was the uniformity of expression. You've got one smile in the portfolio and all the rest are just deadpan expressions. They're all pretty static and  lifeless, too. I would suggest for a start:
1)  some gym or outdoor sports action looks. Lifting weights, stretching/yoga, playing soccer or cricket, etc.
2) some editorial/lifestyle looks, possibly interacting with other people, such as conversation with friends over drinks, lively debate or presentation in a work environment, having fun shopping in an open market with a female model.

Thank you for your suggestions "Orca Bay Images"
The suggestions are very helpful and have opened up a whole new domain to explore.

Coming to the point of expressions : Apart from smile what other expressions i can work upon. And also is there any concept of intensity meter to expressions ? Also, I would like to know any exercise or imaginations to create effective expressions. Guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.

Jan 05 20 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

devanshukashyap wrote:
Apart from smile what other expressions i can work upon. And also is there any concept of intensity meter to expressions ? Also, I would like to know any exercise or imaginations to create effective expressions. Guidance would be highly appreciated. .

The looks I suggested earlier all have to do with natural expression.

Sports and athletics usually involve an intensity of expression, whether it be simple focus or stress of physical effort (or even pain). Sports photography legend Neil Leifer (he shot that iconic image of Muhammad Ali standing over the knocked-down Sonny Liston) said that the best sports images capture the faces. Even a staged shot of you putting some serious effort into hitting a cricket ball would capture an intensity that doesn't look staged. It's a natural reaction.

Editorial /lifestyle shots would be less intense but no less natural, whether you're giving a fake business presentation or having an animated discussion with friends over drinks or having a fun time grocery-shopping with a fake girlfriend. Unless the image involves some fascinating concept/staging/makeup/etc, people doing things are more interesting than people not doing anything. A portfolio needs those "doing nothing" looks, but you can add some life to the portfolio by spicing it up a bit with staged editorial. The activities and concepts involved may depend largely on your lifestyle and your locale.

I don't know if I'd call it an exercise, maybe it's more of a hack to get a stiff model to emote. Many years ago with one young woman who had never sat for a camera other than high school yearbook photos, I got her to loosen up and get natural by stopping the shoot, stepping away from the camera (on tripod) and just talking. We took turns telling jokes and answering questions like "where's the weirdest place you ever had sex?" Except I still had one hand rested on the camera and when she got relaxed and animated in conversation, I'd press the shutter button. Even firing off a shot got some adorable expressions from her ("Heyy, that's cheating!").

Jan 05 20 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

I would like to add to the other suggestions and suggest you take some acting classes. Acting will help you expand on posing with real emotions.

Jan 05 20 08:55 am Link

Model

devanshukashyap

Thank you again Alexandria and Orca smile

Jan 06 20 02:10 pm Link