Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Anybody own and/or use it?
What are your experiences with it professionally as well as enthusiast shooting.

Looking to get back to Nikon and there is a good trade in deal for the next couple days and I am considering it being that I still have a few F mount glass that I would like to use natively rather than on my crop sensor Fuji cameras.

Mar 28 20 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Storytelling-Images

Port Charlotte, Florida, US

Just a thought. You might want to consider a refurbished D750. That camera was very popular and had a great reputation. I've bought refurbished cameras and lenses from NikonUSA before and they work great. The refurbished D750 is about 1/2 the price of the new D780 and has the majority of features. It's also covered by a limited warranty from Nikon.

I shoot a D850 and Z6, so no direct experience with the D780.

Mar 29 20 05:24 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Storytelling-Images wrote:
Just a thought. You might want to consider a refurbished D750. That camera was very popular and had a great reputation. I've bought refurbished cameras and lenses from NikonUSA before and they work great. The refurbished D750 is about 1/2 the price of the new D780 and has the majority of features. It's also covered by a limited warranty from Nikon.

I own the  D750 which I like a lot. However, because of the deal on the upgrade, I have been thinking of getting the D780. It incorporates some features of the Z6. However, I am planning on shooting more video and the Z6 is supposedly great for that.
Such a quandary.

Mar 29 20 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Storytelling-Images wrote:

Actually last night I had really started looking into official Nikon Refurbished D750 offerings, mainly because I missed the cutoff time for the Trade In deal of the D780... come to think of it all my Nikons I have owned going back to the F and FE days were all seconds or refurbished, so yeah I trust those deals.
The only thing I'll probably miss not getting a D780 is the AF updates and Z6 performance in Lv, oh and a joy stick and touch screen. No big deal, it's not like I haven't shot without those ever but it would be convenient.

Mar 30 20 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

63fotos wrote:

I own the  D750 which I like a lot. However, because of the deal on the upgrade, I have been thinking of getting the D780. It incorporates some features of the Z6. However, I am planning on shooting more video and the Z6 is supposedly great for that.
Such a quandary.

Apparently the D780 "is" a Z6 in DSLR form and I would actually choose the D780 over the Z6 for true hybrid usage, plus Dual SD cards AND the battery life is much better by not having an always on EVF and/or LCD.
I missed the cutoff last night for the trade in deal so I think I will wait to see if the prices come down again before reconsidering any of them two.

Mar 30 20 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Mar 31 20 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

63fotos wrote:
https://photographylife.com/nikon-d780- … -184041633

Yes I know the differences and similarities between the two, I have been meticulously researching both in the last couple months... which is why for me I am going back to Nikon DSLRs for many reasons that would take a whole page to write.
Yes there are attractive attributes to the Z system but for a long term purchase I feel it needs to mature a bit.
So I'll post this question again to get back on track;
~Anybody own and/or use it (the D780)?
What are your experiences with it professionally as well as enthusiast shooting.

Right now practicality tells me [for My needs] is to just get the D750 while the price is hot and go from there.

Mar 31 20 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Don't mean to revive an old thread, but it's still better than starting a new one due to the same interest/question.

So has anyone gotten the D780 and shot video with it? That's what i mainly interested in, video. Specifically the continuous auto focus tracking while filming.

Sep 23 22 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Cool Hand Mike

Jacksonville, Florida, US

It's quite a good camera. My main complaint is it doesn't have vertical grip functionality..
A firmware update to improve live view auto focus would be nice as well but I'm not expecting that.
If they did both it'd breathe a lot of life back into it that I feel they failed at marketing (I bought mine used Dec 2020 at a good discount that is still less than current new price).

I haven't really shot serious video with it but pretty much by default I'd say its the best Nikon DSLR for video and since it's a lot like the Z6 you should kinda check info on that for the video performance (I'd probably wait for the rumored Z6 III if looking for affordable digital Nikon video, Z9 otherwise or unfortunately another brand).

Sep 26 22 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

Only the OP mentioned glass. For me, any change of brand is determined by the loss of excellent glass in it's native environment. I know how we photographers are, when we switch to another brand, we ultimately switch our lenses too to match perfectly with the new brand.

Sep 27 22 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Cool Hand Mike wrote:
It's quite a good camera. My main complaint is it doesn't have vertical grip functionality..
A firmware update to improve live view auto focus would be nice as well but I'm not expecting that.
If they did both it'd breathe a lot of life back into it that I feel they failed at marketing (I bought mine used Dec 2020 at a good discount that is still less than current new price).

I haven't really shot serious video with it but pretty much by default I'd say its the best Nikon DSLR for video and since it's a lot like the Z6 you should kinda check info on that for the video performance (I'd probably wait for the rumored Z6 III if looking for affordable digital Nikon video, Z9 otherwise or unfortunately another brand).

My big issue with dslr on video is the lack of auto focus during actual filming. the d780 advertised as being able to do so with the on-sensor phase detection feature. so does that really work? continuous focus when subject is moving while filming? because of that reason, i bought a couple video cameras just for that. but i want to be able to use my collection of nikon lenses instead of the fixed lens from the straight forward video camera.

Sep 29 22 07:28 pm Link