Forums > Photography Talk > Location Flash

Photographer

SoCal Surf and Sport

Del Mar, California, US

I recently picked up two Flashpoint (Adorama's house version of Godox)  Zoom Li-on X R2 TTL round head speedlights. $259/ea

https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzlxca.html

So far they're fantastic. They come with a high capacity rechargeable Li-on battery. There's a line of accessories that all attach to the head magnetically. I bought the kit that has a diffuser, gels, grid, and barndoors. Really simple and convenient to use. I wasn't planning to buy the controller but after using the flashes I bought the Flashpoint R2 Pro markII wireless control unit so I can control/trigger both flashes remotely. They also sell adapters to use these in a softbox or other light modifiers.

They aren't super powerful so not what you want for overpowering the sun but for indoors they're fantastic. Easy to use and great battery life with a fast recycle time. No complaints so far and they're very affordable for all you get.

May 05 20 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

JBP Graphics

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

GRMACK wrote:
Speedlights are good for indoors.  Bright sun might take a 400 ws or larger if you also plan to use a modifier.

I use a Godox AD-600TTL Pro outdoors in bright sun.  You can dial it from Full  1/1 way down to 1/128 power in one-tenth stops. (That flash is on sale for $749 now too.).

I got it primarily for HSS outdoors.  I have the Godox TT685 speedlights but found them too weak.  Using HSS, the TT685 has a GN-8 and the AD-600 GN-18 with its stock 5" reflector.  Bit more power, but HSS eats power and changing a shutter speed will also change the output of the flash as it evolves into a sawtooth series of flashes for the duration.

With an 11" long-throw focus reflector on the AD-600 I get the following guide numbers:
1/250 GN=160
1/500 GN=90
1/1000 GN=63
1/2000 GN=45
1/4000 GN=32
1/8000 GN=25

Of course you could add a ND filter to get a lower shutter speed in sunlight to what the normal flash sync speed is and keep the flash's higher GN.  Depends on job and DOF wanted.

Check your Firmware(latest is v1.5), the Godox AD600Pro TTL dials down from 1/1 to 1/256 power.

May 06 20 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Worcester, England, United Kingdom

You tube is your friend. There is a lot of dross on there - people who buy a camera and flash on Tuesday and then make a video all about how to be an expert photographer on Thursday - but if you keep going you will find people who understand how to use flash on location. Trouble is it is so long since I looked myself I have forgotten the. names. Someone else might be able to help.

I'm not gong to check it out, but from memory I think Joe McNally is rated. There are a few, anyway.

In my opinion it is more difficult than they make it look. I don't think you should be able to tell flash has been used (unless it is for very deliberate effect). So then you are going to be in the territory of matching flash temperature to ambient colour temperate using gels unless you shoot at the exact time of day that matches the flash temperature (around 5,500 for most flash, but higher I think for Nikon (from memory).

I see a lot of photographs that have been taken outdoors using flash and they suck because there is no consistency in the colour temperature. A photograph where the flash and ambient light are perfectly blended is a joy to look at, even if it is really simple.

May 07 20 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

GRMACK wrote:
Speedlights are good for indoors.  Bright sun might take a 400 ws or larger if you also plan to use a modifier.

I use a Godox AD-600TTL Pro outdoors in bright sun.  You can dial it from Full  1/1 way down to 1/128 power in one-tenth stops. (That flash is on sale for $749 now too.).

I got it primarily for HSS outdoors.  I have the Godox TT685 speedlights but found them too weak.  Using HSS, the TT685 has a GN-8 and the AD-600 GN-18 with its stock 5" reflector.  Bit more power, but HSS eats power and changing a shutter speed will also change the output of the flash as it evolves into a sawtooth series of flashes for the duration.

With an 11" long-throw focus reflector on the AD-600 I get the following guide numbers:
1/250 GN=160
1/500 GN=90
1/1000 GN=63
1/2000 GN=45
1/4000 GN=32
1/8000 GN=25

Of course you could add a ND filter to get a lower shutter speed in sunlight to what the normal flash sync speed is and keep the flash's higher GN.  Depends on job and DOF wanted.

Unfortunately different manufacturers and people use different standards for "guide numbers".   There isn't a standard that everyone is keeping to.

May 07 20 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

MenaiMedia wrote:
What are your recommendations for battery powered flash units for use on location? Planning ahead during lockdown, so interested to know what peoples' preferences are. Thank you all in advance.

I highly recommend you ditching the speed lights as primary lights and getting proper studio strobes, no less than 500ws, to use on location.  If you have to save for such lighting then take your time and save for the better equipment to possibly save yourself a lot of grief in the long run.  You don't have to buy a $3,000 light; but I wouldn't recommend a $300 studio strobe/battery kit either.

May 07 20 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I'm seeking simplicity and portability when shooting on location, many are off the beaten path.

As an update to this:

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
It would take something really special that would mesh and be affordable to talk Me out of My current outdoor rig, I looked at the Godox AD200 but backed off, at the time the mount seemed shady, maybe I'll look again.

After checking out the AD200 it is now updated to the AD200 Pro.  Improvements include, amongst other things, a metal mount (AD200 was plastique) with a more stable attachment method.

May 08 20 05:02 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

I'm seeking simplicity and portability when shooting on location, many are off the beaten path.

As an update to this:

After checking out the AD200 it is now updated to the AD200 Pro.  Improvements include, amongst other things, a metal mount (AD200 was plastique) with a more stable attachment method.

What do you mean with "mount" ??

May 08 20 05:40 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

You can't beat the simplicity and small size of a speedlight, but if I'm using a modifier,
they just don't have the oomph for me.

I should have gotten an AD200.

May 08 20 09:58 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Yes, it's POSSIBLE to use a speedlight flash with a softbox on a bright sunny day.  But you will be greatly limited in many ways...

The "devil is in the details", as they say.  Using a flash in a softbox in a darker area (like in a forest, for example), with some limitations, is certainly much more "doable".

I've seen examples with a single speedlight flash in a softbox in the desert on a bright sunny day.  BUT it was shot on a tripod and the softbox was pretty close (and then edited out of the picture by combining it with a second tripod shot that didn't have the softbox in the frame).  And even then that would be more plausible with multiple speedlight flashes.  Joe McNally used to use a 3 speedlight flash bracket when he was representing Nikon / Nikon flashes, but now there are more powerful, and less expensive, options available.

So all sorts of things are "possible".  You just have to figure out where you are in terms of your needs, how often you'll need that capability and what your budget is.

The more power you have, the more flexibility you have, but the price range goes up accordingly.   Do keep in mind that at the lower end of the power range, you get a lot more "bang for the buck" moving up the ladder than you do at the higher end of the scale.   I.E.  Two speedlight flashes doubles your light (one extra stop of power).  But the jump from 400ws to 600ws is only half a stop more power, etc.

If you DO use one or two speedlight flashes then, as others have suggested, go with high end rechargeable batteries and, if they're AA batteries, consider an external battery pack (keeps the flash cooler, provides faster recycling times and it gives you much longer shoots).

If you can afford more, but don't want to go full high-end, then one popular solution is to go with TWO AD200 strobes and an AD-B2 adapter.   That way you have two (relatively inexpensive) 200 watt portable lights (great for all round general use) but when you temporarily need a more powerful strobe, you combine the two (using the AD-B2) adapter into ONE 400 watt strobe unit.

Something else that you may find helpful.  Robert Hall made a video on "overpowering the sun", comparing the light output outdoors on everything from Godox speedlights up to and including the Godox AD600s, including comparisons when combined with softboxes, with and without HSS, etc, etc.  He built a chart on how far away the flash / strobe would have to be to "overpower the sun" comparing speedlight flash with different strobes in different configurations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlla-uZeKFc

Hope that helps!

May 08 20 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

PHP-Photography wrote:
What do you mean with "mount" ??

https://gomolight.com/images//ad200pro/AD200Pro_06.jpg

the Swivel / Bracket  -  'Flash holder'.

def an improvement over the original AD200 imo

May 08 20 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

def an improvement over the original AD200 imo

Seems we have different view what mount is when talking about flashes

Never used that "mount" so cant comment about it.

I use this one

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ … flash.html

May 09 20 01:46 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

PHP-Photography wrote:

'To each their own'

My AD200 Pro and X2T arrived and tbh not quite the build quality of the familiar Canon, nor Pocketwizard.

The first unit delivered was DOA, I'm hoping it was damaged in shipment and not a QC issue or sign of things to come.

*edit:  IMO the power on/off switch of the AD200 Pro is weak.

May 17 20 03:15 am Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I would like to recommend Godox VING V860II/Flashpoint Zoom R2. It offers an inexpensive way to get into advanced off-camera lighting techniques. It has a built-in radio transceiver, which can both control and be controlled by other V860II flashes.

May 27 20 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

MenaiMedia wrote:
What are your recommendations for battery powered flash units for use on location? Planning ahead during lockdown, so interested to know what peoples' preferences are. Thank you all in advance.

Well speed lights are the most versatile beasts I have used on the go. Meaning there is no time to setup and carry a whole bunch of equipment and yes they work during the day just have to master its use. Besides that I own an ad200 and an ad600 but always go back to speed lights as mention. Particularly my trusty Nikon sb800.

May 27 20 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Manfred

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

I am using the ELB 500 TTL Dual to go Set. This is a portable studio flash equipment set. You can find more information in my blog:
https://nevasca.net/blog/0001-photo-sho … king-deck/

Jul 05 21 03:07 am Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

The power difference is the main benefit of the B10 Plus - 500w/s versus 250w/s for the B10. I'd be slanted to say the 500w/s of the B10 Plus is great in the event that you at any point plan on expecting to shoot on the spot outside and need to overwhelm the sun. Any 250w/s strobe may leave you needing more in certain circumstances, yet in case you're generally shooting indoor and needn't bother with the 500w/s power the more modest actual size of the B10 is astounding.

Jul 08 21 02:07 am Link