Forums > Photography Talk > Craigslist/Facebook Alternatives for Used Gear

Photographer

J Diffner Photography

Sequim, Washington, US

I'm not at a selling off my gear to pay rent place (yet), but with all of this time on my hands I have been looking through my gear and identifying what doesn't get used and thinking it might be good to trade (or sell) with other local photographers who've been doing the same.  Have any of you found good online (with local options) communities for trading gear?  I'm not having much luck with Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace has changed their flagging algorithms so everything I post seems to get flagged as being a firearm.

Apr 22 20 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I've had mixed luck selling photo gear on craigslist. Some things go fairly quickly for a good price and others sit there with no reponse for months.

I've very done well buying photo gear on there but you need to be fast sometimes and it's probably much tougher in a big city like Portland.

I've never listied anything on Fakebook and am no longer on there at all (you have to google to learn how to delete your account instead of deactivate it).

I did buy a car from a Fakebook ad, it was a good deal and a decent transportation vehicle.

Consider posting your questions on both places and see what sort of response you get.

Up here they have a Camera Swap Meet in Kent, seems like it's twice a year? I've never been so I can't say much else.

Apr 22 20 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

bidewell photography

Terre Haute, Indiana, US

Try Usedphotopro.com

Apr 24 20 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

bidewell photography wrote:
Try Usedphotopro.com

An alternative to KEH?

I've found KEH is a great place to buy gear, they have excellent customer service and are very picky and honest about condition of used gear they are selling.

That said, they stay in business because they pay realistc prices for used gear based on the reality that they need to pay low to sell at fair prices and stay in business.

Roberts Camera is a solid company as well. I'd be surprised if they pay differently than KEH, business is business.
If you can sell something for $300 you better not pay more than $150 for it. Overhead will eat you.

Apr 24 20 10:12 am Link