Forums > Photography Talk > Your most worthless photo gear purchase was what?

Photographer

Marty McBride

Owensboro, Kentucky, US

Shoe mount flash or monopod.

Dec 15 20 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Paul Xanadu Photography wrote:
I bought a Tamron 500mm F8 Mirror lens when I first started photography. It's fun at first with some nice ring bokeh, but with fix aperture it has very limited use. I soon got bored of it.

Something which is of no or little value to one person can be of value to another.

My Tamron SP 500mm f/8 Mirror lens was and still is great value for the money. At the time of purchase I had a choice between buying this and its 350mm f/5.6 stablemate which now sells used for much more than it cost brand new. So I lost out on resale value, but not on performance.

If I was starting again with few lenses and wanted a low budget long lens, would I get a Mirror lens? Probably not! Too many other high quality, manual focus, legacy lenses to choose from on todays used market.

And mirror lenses are always difficult to use, but can be fun to use on some of todays stabilised, high ISO, DSLR and Mirrorless cameras.

Shot below was taken with a Tamron SP 500mm f/8 (2nd version):
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46697180

Dec 15 20 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I'll add

I enjoy styling wardrobe, so in My endevours I've been snapping up what I consider(ed) bargains at sales, thrift stores, fleabay etc...

this rapidly got out of hand and now have one room in the house which would qualify for an episode of hoarders.

Dec 16 20 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I consider each item that I buy to be a learning experience. The cost is usually less than a college course and I have gained real world experience.

I could hire a tutor to tell me what to buy and how to use it but that would be his style and again, would not be experience for me.

Case in point:  the Gary Fong Lightsphere. It would not fit into my camera bag and I did not find it superior to the LumiQuest OmniBounce. The Fstoppers FlashDisk is clearly superior to both.

Dec 16 20 05:49 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
I'll add

I enjoy styling wardrobe, so in My endevours I've been snapping up what I consider(ed) bargains at sales, thrift stores, fleabay etc...

this rapidly got out of hand and now have one room in the house which would qualify for an episode of hoarders.

LOL!  YES!  Boxes upon boxes filled with miscellaneous everything for styling purposes.  Yet, I can't bring myself to get rid of it because, "...no, that's not an easy piece to find when I need something like it in the future..."

Dec 16 20 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I'll add

Ditto!

I mostly buy vintage / designer style to try and recreate images I like (e.g. Ralph Lauren https://www.bing.com/images/search?view … ajaxhist=0).

It's now to a point where people ask to hire items from my studio's wardrobe to wear to fancy dress parties.

Dec 16 20 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

Most worthless photo gear I have purchased without doing my homework was a Nissin Di866 Mark II Flash. It overheated too quickly. I saw the bad reviews later but it was too late. The first day it smoked, returned to B&H but the replacement only lasted few days more.

Dec 24 20 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

WD My Cloud....It automatically make 2 up to 20 copies of photographs.... for no reason.....And I am not the only person having this problem Also deleting the copies one at a time seem to be the only possible way.....

Feb 14 21 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
WD My Cloud....It automatically make 2 up to 20 copies of photographs.... for no reason.....And I am not the only person having this problem Also deleting the copies one at a time seem to be the only possible way.....

I use several WD USB hard drives for backup. But I always delete the included software before I use them.

Feb 15 21 05:35 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

Marty McBride wrote:
Shoe mount flash or monopod.

put the shoe mount flash ON the monopod and you instantly have a cool off camera flash set up

Feb 15 21 09:11 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

Flimsy Light Stands and light weight tripods

I ended up with them years ago and since then.....NEVER AGAIN

not worth it..get the heaviest duty of both that you can carry and if you do not need to carry them - get C-stands and sand bags

Feb 15 21 09:18 am Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Not just one but two mono pods.
Fong light dome.

Apr 12 21 06:50 am Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Just about everything that I ever bought from ProMaster was a waste of money. Only bought their stuff when I was in a pinch.

May 30 21 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

bought 4 sets of led lights when they first appeared, cost me a fortune but worthless to use other than for video. There are others but this is the most expensive junk.

Jun 02 21 12:38 am Link

Photographer

BQUINN

Rockford, Illinois, US

A beauty dish

Jun 12 21 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Tom Weis

Forest Hills, New York, US

Hate to admit but most recent was a barely used 5D Mark II from a really sweet girl on fb with 188,000 clicks.

How is 188,000 shutter actuations "barely used"?

Jun 15 21 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Tom Weis wrote:

How is 188,000 shutter actuations "barely used"?

Because none of the pictures were any good.

Jun 16 21 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Tom Weis

Forest Hills, New York, US

My most worthless photo gear purchase…

In 2007 I decided to switch from Nikon to Canon. My Nikon D2x and D200 made noisy photos at any ISO over 800… my friends were using the 5D and the files were soooo good!
I sold all my Nikon gear, and I switched right into the AF fiasco known as the 1D Mark III (bought a 5D also, but I shot more sports back then, hence the 1D3 purchase). The first 1D3 I bought couldn’t focus to save its worthless life. It went right back to the dealer. I was pretty furious at Canon for f*&%ing this up. The second body was much better but I had the submirror assembly replaced when the recall was issued anyway.
Oh, and the Canon EF 28mm f1.8 sucks donkey balls - even stopped down… terrible wide prime.

Then in 2008 Nikon released the D700… as soon as the D700 bodies were in stores I switched back to Nikon and bought two of the D700s. I thought my wife would kill me, but I didn’t care. Canon had really pi$$ed me off.
I used those two D700 bodies for 8 years!

So my most worthless purchase was the entire Canon system I had for only about a year.

Jun 16 21 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Sinkus Photography

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

My big mistakes have been software programs that I never use or do nothing that I can't do in Photo Shop.

Aug 25 21 10:29 am Link