Forums > Photography Talk > images look like shit when I email them help?

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

They look good on PS screen but when I email them via yahoo they are over saturated and under exposed.  why and wht to do?  is it specific to yahoo?  I emial jpgs  but today as low res TIFF and that looked bad as well...ughhhh

is it due to some kind of compression going on and any tips on how to make it better?

Jun 28 21 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Have you been following these instructions?

How to Send Large Files via Yahoo Email
Learning how to send files larger than 25MB on Yahoo is easier than you think. We're going to walk you step by step on how to email large files with your Yahoo account.

Open Yahoo! Mail and compose a new message.
Select the paper clip icon for attachments.
You'll have four options to choose.
Select either Google Drive or Dropbox to locate and send your file.
Once you've clicked the document you want, it will bring you back to your draft.
Click "OK" to give permission to anyone who receives your mail to view the file.
Send as normal.

https://clean.email/how-to-send-large-files-via-email

Jun 28 21 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

thanks for your response.  I only send less than 1 MB jpgs so large files not an issue.

You are saying the Google Drive or Drop Box some how avoid the transformation of the image (saturation/exposure)?

to reiterate,,,my images look good on PS I save them as jpegs at a 10 res and when i email them they are somewhow altered and look 20-30 % altered.

Jun 28 21 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

What colorspace you are using ?

Jun 28 21 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

3 Ways To Send Pictures On Yahoo Mail
November 30, 2020 by Editorial Team
https://whatvwant.com/send-pictures-on-yahoo-mail/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2JaTI7WmUM&t=44s

All the pics in your MM portfolio are super-classy!

Jun 28 21 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Yes, color-space needs to be sRGB.

First though, you  need a freshly profiled monitor to judge the various versions with.

Your email software itself can cause problems sometimes. I find that emailing via G-mail often changes things for the worse in semi-subtle ways.

However, if you aren't re-editing your jpegs before sending, that may be the problem. For instance, I always have to use the Mac "Preview" software to tweak the contrast and color-balance on my JPEG outputs before re-posting them to MM. Since JPEG is a "lossy" format, lots of things change every time it's processed, so check it out again after the initial outputting as JPEG to see how it looks, then adjust to create a new version if necessary. Alternately, you can create a different clone of your original to edit, and then re-edit it and create a new and re-adjusted base-copy for outputting a new JPEG image to fit whatever purpose.

Depending on who you are emailing your images to, and for what purpose they are receiving them, they may be better sent as EPS, TIFF or PNG files, if they are using them for further processing or publication. To retain the most editing latitude for them, try to use the *ProRes* color-space unless Adobe is all they have on their end, In fact, for professional work/publication, they would probably prefer the RAW format, with a JPEG reference file alongside it.

Good luck!

Jun 29 21 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

PHP-Photography wrote:
What colorspace you are using ?

elaborate please

Jun 29 21 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Thanks lots to digest//thank you for your time n knowledge

quote=Modelphilia]
Yes, color-space needs to be sRGB.

First though, you  need a freshly profiled monitor to judge the various versions with.

Your email software itself can cause problems sometimes. I find that emailing via G-mail often changes things for the worse in semi-subtle ways.

However, if you aren't re-editing your jpegs before sending, that may be the problem. For instance, I always have to use the Mac "Preview" software to tweak the contrast and color-balance on my JPEG outputs before re-posting them to MM. Since JPEG is a "lossy" format, lots of things change every time it's processed, so check it out again after the initial outputting as JPEG to see how it looks, then adjust to create a new version if necessary. Alternately, you can create a different clone of your original to edit, and then re-edit it and create a new and re-adjusted base-copy for outputting a new JPEG image to fit whatever purpose.

Depending on who you are emailing your images to, and for what purpose they are receiving them, they may be better sent as EPS, TIFF or PNG files, if they are using them for further processing or publication. To retain the most editing latitude for them, try to use the *ProRes* color-space unless Adobe is all they have on their end, In fact, for professional work/publication, they would probably prefer the RAW format, with a JPEG reference file alongside it.

Good luck!

Jun 29 21 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

I also want to see how the images look not only in email but then on a cell phone screen and that drives me nuts. most photo viewing is done , not on a lap top, but a phone.  The image has my blessing on the PS screen...then gets degraded on the net.  I have to choose a version that looks good on a phone screen but bad on an email screen and so on

Jun 29 21 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Why your pictures can look weird on mobile devices [and how to fix them]
http://www.analogsenses.com/2015/08/12/ … e-viewing/

Jun 30 21 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Camera Buff wrote:

I always ask people to view any  of my online work on a desktop or tablet if possible. Sites like MM absolutely fail to work well on phones anyway, so even navigating the site on a phone is hugely problematic.

Thanks for your deep dive, but life is too short. Your chances of finding an informed and aesthetically erudite viewer using a phone as their viewing medium are slim-to-none. And agencies or publications will want a different viewing experience altogether.

Jun 30 21 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Mark wrote:

elaborate please

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space

Your images need to be sRGB for Internet.

Jun 30 21 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Mark wrote:

elaborate please

I am just scratching my head how a photographer who has been on MM for 16 years and has seemingly worked with major fashion companies would not know about color spaces. The 10 setting you mention is not resolution but compression. I am wondering what your starting material is, whether RAW or something else, how many megapixels, from what camera, etc.

Jul 02 21 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

ha! right u are..dont scratch too hard...  this hasnt been a problem until I guess the last year or so.. let me look into it

btw
I  shot for Dazed (very respected UK mag) mag 6 years backstage at 14 seasons of NYFW and house for DVF, Lacoste, few others..and never knew my color space yikes!!

u may like the documentary about my exploits doing the above as a 50+ yo home less guy

Homme Less

Eye of the World wrote:

I am just scratching my head how a photographer who has been on MM for 16 years and has seemingly worked with major fashion companies would not know about color spaces. The 10 setting you mention is not resolution but compression. I am wondering what your starting material is, whether RAW or something else, how many megapixels, from what camera, etc.

Jul 25 21 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

OK so as I have always been using..the camera is set as sRGB but most likely saving in PS in AdobeRGB (which I believe I have been dooing for years)

I have tried adjusting color profiles  in   PS  and saving as sRGB rather than AdobeRGB and well it changes some but still not happy.  I dont remember all the combinations/variations and the results that work ok on FB but not on my phone..etc  so I cant offer a very good summary at this point.

the problem is the photo looks fine in PS then when I email it its- darker and saturated.  If I adjust the image so it looks best on the phone screen then it looks washed out on a computer screen

Jul 26 21 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Thank you for your effort.  I dont have any Apple products.

Camera Buff wrote:

Jul 26 21 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Thanks for the compliment

Camera Buff wrote:
3 Ways To Send Pictures On Yahoo Mail
November 30, 2020 by Editorial Team
https://whatvwant.com/send-pictures-on-yahoo-mail/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2JaTI7WmUM&t=44s

All the pics in your MM portfolio are super-classy!

Jul 26 21 09:59 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Los Angeles, California, US

Before you emailed your images, did you view your jpegs in a separate, simple image viewer (not in your image developer nor image editor)?

Jul 26 21 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Mark wrote:
OK so as I have always been using..the camera is set as sRGB but most likely saving in PS in AdobeRGB (which I believe I have been doing for years)

I have tried adjusting color profiles  in   PS  and saving as sRGB rather than AdobeRGB and well it changes some but still not happy.  I dont remember all the combinations/variations and the results that work ok on FB but not on my phone..etc  so I cant offer a very good summary at this point.

the problem is the photo looks fine in PS then when I email it its- darker and saturated.  If I adjust the image so it looks best on the phone screen then it looks washed out on a computer screen

NEVER shoot in sRGB!

That is a very low, screen-resolution format which is completely inadequate for editing purposes.
It should only be used as OUTPUT that will be seen online.

Do all of your shooting in RAW format (if your camera can).
Do all of your processing in RAW, using the ProRes colorspace –if available in your editing software.
Otherwise, do your editing in the AdobeRGB colorspace.
Always work with a fresh custom color-profile on your monitor, made with your own equipment and measuring device.
ONLY AFTER ALL OF THAT do you output it to the sRGB format!

Then, as I and others have suggested previously, check the output by viewing it in a simple photo-viewer, such as Apple's "Preview" software. Adjust either the original or the output to meet the requirements of either phone-viewing or monitor viewing until you are satisfied with the results you see on those type of devices.

It's an exacting process that has no guarantee of success, since you can't control the color-fidelity of the viewers' devices, but you can at least come closer than you apparently have been able to so far.

Jul 27 21 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Marc S Photography

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

You will not be able to get very good results on all screens since they would all need tio be calibrated and have the same output capabilities. The cheaper display screens cannot effectively be calibrated and/or only provide 5 bits per colour channel and use optical tricks to make the human eye think it is seeing a colour that the device cannot actually produce.

And those devices that can be calibrated would need to be calibrated using the same colours space and have the same relative brightness and saturation as your screen.

You have no control over the brightness an end user's screen is set to.

Without there being a universal screen calibration standard that is applied for all screens, trying to have an image that suits all screens is a moot point at this point-in-time.

I think that the best you can do is match the colour space of your end users, but what they end up seeing depends mostly on their display settings and the capabilities of the display device that they are using, which are things that are outside of your control.

Jul 27 21 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Modelphilia wrote:

NEVER shoot in sRGB!

That is a very low, screen-resolution format which is completely inadequate for editing purposes.
It should only be used as OUTPUT that will be seen online.

Do all of your shooting in RAW format (if your camera can).
Do all of your processing in RAW, using the ProRes colorspace –if available in your editing software.
Otherwise, do your editing in the AdobeRGB colorspace.
Always work with a fresh custom color-profile on your monitor, made with your own equipment and measuring device.
ONLY AFTER ALL OF THAT do you output it to the sRGB format!

Then, as I and others have suggested previously, check the output by viewing it in a simple photo-viewer, such as Apple's "Preview" software. Adjust either the original or the output to meet the requirements of either phone-viewing or monitor viewing until you are satisfied with the results you see on those type of devices.

It's an exacting process that has no guarantee of success, since you can't control the color-fidelity of the viewers' devices, but you can at least come closer than you apparently have been able to so far.

I think you are confused. At a guess, I think you are confusing sRGB with JPEG, particularly when you urge shooting RAW, and you talk about converting to "sRGB format" for output. It is common (but not strictly necessary) for a JPEG image to be in the sRGB colour space, but that doesn't mean that the two are the same thing.

I think you mean ProPhoto RGB colour space rather than ProRes (ProRes is a video codec, not a colour space).

You also seem confused when you talk about "do all your processing in RAW". That doesn't make sense. The first step in processing an image shot in RAW is to convert it from RAW into another format, typically an RGB matrix of a particular bit depth in a particular colour space. That RAW conversion process includes handling the demosaicing of the Bayer filter (unless it's from something like a Foveon sensor), setting a colour temperature, black point, white point, tone curves, and so forth, doing some quite sophisticated processing to convert the digital samples in the RAW file into RGB values in a specific colour space. Those of us using PhotoShop usually do that in Adobe Camera RAW, which separates that RAW conversion process from other editing, so we are well aware of the separation. That separation is less obvious in other software, but it is still there. That's because the RAW processing is camera-specific, and the later editing is not. Further editing operations, like dodging and burning, are done on the RGB matrix. That RGB matrix can be saved in a file (like a PSD from Photoshop, or a TIFF, or several other formats), and reloaded for further editing.

It sounds like what you mean when you say "do all your processing in RAW" is that you are advocating working on a 16bit RGB matrix, which is a perfectly sensible thing to suggest, and again makes it sound like you are arguing against JPEG (which is 8 bit). It is possible to convert a RAW file into an 8 bit RGB matrix in a particular colour space (there were people who advocated doing that in the past, when computers were far less capable than they are today, because it used less memory and was faster - I don't know if they still advocate that today). In theory, it's also possible to use a 32 bit RGB matrix, or a 24 bit CMYK matrix, or a 16 bit LAB matrix, but we typically use 16 bit RGB for photographs, because most of today's cameras capture 14 or 16 bit RAW files using an RGB Bayer filter.

And yes, the last step is usually to create output files. Those output files may well be JPEG format files in the sRGB colour space. But they could be JPEG format files in Adobe RGB colour space (although I'd recommend against doing that). They could be PNG files in the sRGB colour space. What they won't be is "sRGB format", because sRGB is a colour space and not a format.

Jul 28 21 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

True, I did mess up a few times there. I've gotten a bit rusty with so few photographic endeavors these past 20 months! Thanks for straightening some things out and explaining them better than I did.

I do tend to think of sRGB as an online format, meaning that it has both a limited color space, and that it is generally applied to lower-res JPEG or PNG images for online display. Also, color-spaces are often changed when outputting for a specific use. When I can, I process in ProPhoto, then output to AdobeRGB or sRGB as may be appropiate.

Jul 29 21 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Modelphilia wrote:
True, I did mess up a few times there. I've gotten a bit rusty with so few photographic endeavors these past 20 months! Thanks for straightening some things out and explaining them better than I did.

I do tend to think of sRGB as an online format, meaning that it has both a limited color space, and that it is generally applied to lower-res JPEG or PNG images for online display. Also, color-spaces are often changed when outputting for a specific use. When I can, I process in ProPhoto, then output to AdobeRGB or sRGB as may be appropiate.

Sorry if I came on a bit strong.

I am currently shooting high res RAW images (50 or 60 megapixels), so scaling them down to MM dimensions (800 pixels wide) means that every output pixel is 10x10 (or more) from the source image. With that sort of scaling you could get away with a lot of misdemeanours in the original files. Still, calibrating the screen and setting the white balance carefully - they are pretty much automatic now. I was asked to take a shot of a couple with their phone recently, and I looked around - took me a moment to realise I was looking for a grey or white surface to shoot for white balance :-)

Jul 29 21 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Double post

Jul 29 21 11:32 pm Link