Forums > Photography Talk > TF on Model Mayhem?

Photographer

JasonColemanPhotography

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Hey Everyone,

I've been told by alot of other photogs that Model Mayhem is THE place to go to find models willing to shoot TF to build portfolios. However, I'm finding that isn't true for me in my area (Nashville, TN).

What are your recommendations for finding models to shoot with TF to build out a portfolio?

Jul 07 21 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Start by not having a negative line as the first thing your MM blurb. Even if it doesn't apply to models, it shows a needless negativity.

Then, show you have something to offer to a model for a TF shoot. This isn't the critique forum, so I can't say anything (here) about your portfolio, but you may want to ask for suggestions there.

Jul 07 21 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

That sounds like old information, unless MM is a lot busier in your area than in mine.

I'd suggest printing up some business cards and approaching people you might want to photograph. Even if they aren't models, they may have a vain streak, or just like the idea of getting some free photos. You may also be able to word an ad on Craigslist so that it would attract them without CL booting it off the site.

I've never paid a model out of my own pocket in my life. Given that I've devoted more decades to learning my craft than they have been alive; and that I spend probably 10 times as much time as they would in setting up the shoot, actually shooting, and then all the processing; and since I have also spent many thousands of dollars and hours to bring them my services, it would be pretty unlikely I'd want to shoot with anyone badly enough to reverse the tables and pay them.

That said, there are so few active models on MM, and so few traveling even out here to Hawaii these days, that the pickin's on MM have been pretty slim these past 20 months.

Jul 07 21 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

JasonColemanPhotography wrote:
I've been told by alot of other photogs that Model Mayhem is THE place to go to find models willing to shoot TF to build portfolios. However, I'm finding that isn't true for me in my area (Nashville, TN).

What are your recommendations for finding models to shoot with TF to build out a portfolio?

You have to approach models individually, unless you're already well known you can't just put up a casting call and leave it at that. Make sure your pitch offers something the model is willing and interested in doing, be flexible, communicate. Mood boards are your friend. There will be flakes and disappointments but don't let that get to you and instead focus on the people who make the effort. Verified credits are worthwhile, models do read them, and word gets around. At first it's a slow and frustrating process, but after a while things get easier, although you have to keep at it.

The first paragraph in your profile is pretty dismissive of models who are seeking paid jobs. Yes, it's spam, but a polite "Thank you for the offer, you have a great look but I'm really just doing TF for now" can still get you brownie points.

Lastly, you have to give models photos they like in a timely manner. It's a trade, both parties have to get their due.

Jul 07 21 07:21 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Hey Everyone,

Instagram

Jul 07 21 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Sure 10+yrs ago maybe

Jul 07 21 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kuttlefishfoto

Vancouver, Washington, US

Instagram. Exotic Dancers.

Jul 07 21 08:39 pm Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I find my most of the model by searching for a friend of a friend. By doing this, you can increase the number of potential models you have at your disposal.
I would say that I have about a 50% success rate of getting people who agree to model to actually model. For whatever reason, they may change their mind and that’s fine.

Jul 07 21 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Finding quality TF models is going to be difficult. Ask yourself, why should someone model for free when someone else is willing to pay them? The quality of your work needs to stand out against that sort of competition.

You've started a casting call, and that is a good start. You probably should extend that beyond a week.

One idea is to offer to shoot family portraits. You can get both group shots and individual shots. If not families, try models with their pets. Find something of value for them beyond what someone else might pay them to do. Graduation portraits, engagement photos, whatever.

Lastly, develop some killer concept. A large scale production that a model cannot resist. Maybe that is a location you can get access that others cannot. Maybe it is costume/wardrobe, props, staging. Deliver something they would not get from anyone else who is willing to toss them gas money or more.

Jul 08 21 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hey Everyone,

This was true about five years ago. Now, not by a longshot. This site has been dead for years. I used to see more casting calls on this site in a day than I do in a month now.

Jul 08 21 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Your posted casting call is a good step in that direction.  Nashville has some great-looking (and recent active) talent from what I can see.  Many list TFP as an option.  Perhaps reach out to some of those local models directly if possible, as well.

Jul 09 21 02:04 am Link

Photographer

JasonColemanPhotography

Nashville, Tennessee, US

All great responses!!! Thank you all! I eliminated the negative intro on my page. Printing cards for a more direct approach. I'm thinking about asking some coworkers for a photoshoot. I've approached a few instagram models and have gotten feedback. Already had to cancel one shoot for weather, but have confidence that we can reschedule. I'm also now a premium member so I'll be adding more of my past shoot photos.

Cheers All!

Jul 10 21 03:14 pm Link