Forums > Photography Talk > Old photographic dinosaur back on MM

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

Been over 8 years since I was last on here, and now out of lockdown and out of retirement I am throwing myself back at it.
On the surface this site looks pretty much the same as I left it, but from fellow photographers on here what changes can I expect?

Jul 11 21 02:23 am Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

I noticed one difference with years back. If you comment now just because you like the image, you get seldom a comment back. Almost  no one seems to react.

Jul 11 21 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

The traffic will be a trickle of what it was back in the day
MM is more zombie site now

Jul 11 21 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
MM is more zombie site now

yup. mostly just zombies, and no brains for them to eat.

Jul 11 21 11:36 am Link

Photographer

BQUINN

Rockford, Illinois, US

Of course there are still the real pros still here, top dollar, they do their job, they know the business, they charge reasonable rates. The other 90% are out of there minds.
Like  " I want all photos" when they're being paid.  "I want full compensation if the shoot gets canceled a week out" shit happens.
"I insist you sign a model release" they say to me
3 shoots and they're experienced, want 125 an hour, it may take three hours to get the shot. Take an hour with a real pro.
Choose the real pros, pay them

Jul 11 21 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Peter you are in a major market... Your Facebook presence is strong with 5.3K Followers...
And you have a stellar web portal. 

Mayhem has little to offer you now in my humble estimation...  Nearly all the talent has long ago moved on to IG (and even Facebook) albeit IG is where the lion's share of talent hangs out now.  I just swing by Mayhem now and again to smile when I see the same folks still here.  Guess they haven't found a way to escape or they are only into shooting sexually explicated narratives which aren't allowed on IG.

Yes that is why I prefer IG... IG's "Community Standards" go a long ways to keeping the "creepers" off that site...

Have you considered testing with agency models there in London? Your book reflects a "Fashion" aura...
Mayhem is nearly devoid of Fashion genre... Glamour is by far and away the dominate Mayhem genre.

btw, most of my commercial assignments now are portfolio imagery for young tweens and teens who's mom's want age appropriate imagery. Something that they would never find on Mayhem...

Wishing you all the best Peter...
You're a very lucky guy to be based in one of the Fashion captures of the world.
Cheers! Thomas

Jul 11 21 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Just watch out for asteroids !

Jul 12 21 08:45 am Link

Photographer

BRIAN D WILLIAMS

Los Angeles, California, US

First off welcome back, but like everyone else is saying, MM isn't what it use to be. IG is obviously where a lot of photographers are but I also recommend checking out Behance.net.

-B

Jul 15 21 12:26 am Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

thanks for all the comments....... well I've been back a couple of weeks and frankly I can see no reason why any self respecting professional would be here any more. 
There seem to be some serious photographers left on the site but the "model" pool..........geeesh.....while in the past it was always flaky but still held a decent mix of new faces and seasoned  serious amateurs is now non existent. (at least for here in the UK).

Ah well. I wasn't expecting much, but
https://www.modelmayhem.com/4231609
sums up the best offer I was getting for collaboration. Bless him

and yes, before anyone says it , I will make sure the door doesn't hit me on the way out wink

Jul 28 21 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

p h o t o f a s h i o n wrote:
thanks for all the comments....... well I've been back a couple of weeks and frankly I can see no reason why any self respecting professional would be here any more. 

and yes, before anyone says it , I will make sure the door doesn't hit me on the way out wink

Farewell p h o t o f a s h i o n !

FYI ... MM has a revolving door!

Jul 28 21 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jaysen R Lee

Anaheim, California, US

I've been snooping around myself.  One thing I miss is the the DRAMA back 10 years ago where tempers would flare and the gloves would come off.....

Maybe we could start our own.... 

You're photography SUCKS donkeys.

Aug 02 21 09:19 am Link