Forums > Photography Talk > Advice on camera for body painting artworks

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

Hi guys I am not a photographer. I have a great eye and can take a great shot, but no I have limits and value a good photographer.. But…. I need a new camera to shoot some of my own body paintings from time to time. I am doing some body art painting as a healing art and many clients do not want a photographer present. And many time I just have a certain look in mind, no Ned for three hundred poses. My old Canon need to be updated…. or read it’s final rites. I have been looking at mirrorless models, but open to meeting my needs.

Basically I just am wondering should I stick to a good old Canon (as I do have some Canon lenses)  made more for all round photography or am I ok going with something like a Sony Alpha that caters more to vloggers? I am looking to shoot in studio where I like black backgrounds and outside in natural light, nothing too far away maybe up to 15 feet. I do want crisp, bold colors of course.

A filmmaker friend said just get a Rebel Ti cause they are cheap and brainless and spend my money on new quality lenses. I mean sure I’d love to spend three grand on a great body but it seems overkill for my needs,  I really would like to stay at or  under a grand for the body. I mean do I need more than that for my needs? I don’t necessarily need brainless either, I can work with learning curves. Sony did catch my eye too as I can use my Canon lenses. Frankly if you are not knowledgeable about photography buying the right camera is mind boggling.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 27 21 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

The images in your portfolio look fine to me. Why do you want to spend lots of money on a new camera just to take photos "from time to time"? Isn't your "old Canon" just as good as it always was?

Jul 27 21 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I agree with Mark.  The camera is just a tool and your Canon is fine for your purposes. I'd suggest not getting seduced by the urge for new toys which won't give you better results.  Perhaps spend your money on a book on lighting and up your game a little in that area.

Jul 27 21 08:51 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I think I'm pretty qualified to answer your question seeing as my one of my main jobs is being a photographer for a very famous body painting company, and I was previously a manufacturers representative for Canon (marketing Canon Cameras and Printers).

Your filmmaker friend is correct, as is Mark Salo and WeldPhoto 

The truth is almost any camera will work for you.  You don't need anything expensive or fancy.  My portfolio consists of cameras ranging from an old Canon 60D crop sensor camera, to a Canon SL1 crop sensor camera geared toward soccer moms, a Sony a7ii was used for a few years and lately my Canon R.
There's even a picture or two in there taken with a 20 year old Kodak 4mpx camera.  I don't think anyone can distinguish which camera was used in which photo.

But if you think you need a new camera The T series will work fine for you, and you'll be able to use lenses you already own.  I went with the Sony a7II and then the Canon R simply because most of my clients require a full frame camera (in reality they don't but that's a whole nother subject), but more importantly the mirrorless cameras allow you to see what your shooting even if you're in a dark room.... that's very, very difficult with a traditional SLR.  The two models that I just mentioned also have a screen that flips out so it's easy to take photos from weird angles, however most new cameras have a wifi connection so you can use a phone as a viewfinder for the same reason.

The most important thing is to learn the limitations of whatever camera you have and then use lightroom or an equivalent program to 'fix' those limitations,  For instance, you stated that you like to shoot with black backgrounds.  I do too, but no camera will be able to shoot pitch black, so you have to learn to lower the black levels in LR in post processing.  Color balance is also crucial if you want to document the body paint as it was actually painted.

The best news is if you purchase an interchangeable lens camera, the most useful lens for your purposes will probably be an inexpensive ($100 new) "Nifty 50" 50mm lens.  It's really probably the only lens you'd need. They usually have wide apertures and shallow depth of field which in turn is fantastic for portraits and low light situations.

--------------------
As a side note I'm impressed with both your body painting skills and photography skills.  Very nice portfolio!!!

Jul 27 21 09:33 am Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

Thanks.  Glad I asked.  And thanks for the compliment to my amazing friend, but now retired professional photographer who shot in my portfolio. Those images are older.  Most my more current work is being done for clients who are doing the artworks for themselves, as gifts or as art for healing, or at an event where a photographer is hired for the client, so nothing is shown publicly.  I really want to update my public portfolio, I love to collaborate but do not always need that.

My Canon is so old now a good phone can just about kick it to the curb megapixel wise. Yet with your words, I”lol take her out for a good spin.   I do have three good Canon lenses don’t think I need more that what I have.   And the reminder on the lighting, so smart.  I so need a lighting upgrade and needed to remember that fact.  My filmmaker friend has been telling me that for a long while now.  Perhaps with better lighting in studio my old Canon will perform like I hope. It just seems slow.  I do need to learn more, and I start but ….. I teach body painting I know better than. Are you sure I can not learn photography by osmosis.. Just put the camera under my pillow and know all?  These reminders and having more input that yes, I need not be dazzled by new bells and whistles helps me.

Your input is helpful and appreciated.

Aug 02 21 09:12 pm Link