Forums > Photography Talk > Where to buy photography posing cubes?

Photographer

Ed Dandy

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi guys!  Does anyone know where to buy larger photography posing cubes (sturdy enough where models can sit or stand on it) ?  What material are these usually made of? Concrete?  I'm assuming it has to not be hollow so you can put decent amount of body weight on it.

I live in Toronto so if any Toronto photogs know where to buy such a thing!!  Also open to seeing where online I might be able to purchase from.

Here is an example of the type of posing block i'm looking for: 

https://imgur.com/a/MxFiXLJ

Jul 28 21 10:08 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

You have two options, spend a little money and make your own or spend more and either buy or rent them. The great thing about making them is that you're in control of the dimensions and colors. I've also seen videos of people staining apple boxes which I'll try in the future.

Jul 28 21 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Ed Dandy

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

tcphoto wrote:
You have two options, spend a little money and make your own or spend more and either buy or rent them. The great thing about making them is that you're in control of the dimensions and colors. I've also seen videos of people staining apple boxes which I'll try in the future.

Thanks for the reply!  Do you have any suggestions on what material is used to make it?  and any tutorials/ youtube vids on how people make them?  any guidance would be appreciated!  Thanks again

Jul 28 21 10:54 am Link

Photographer

The Next Cliche

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Probably just make it out of plywood - you could add a brace inside, but it doesn't need to be stronger or heavier than your average chair. Not a carpenter, but probably screwing and gluing together would enhance strength.

You probably don't need or want concrete - way too difficult to move. Make it look like it is concrete with plaster or paint.

Jul 28 21 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jul 28 21 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

If you end up making them, or commissioning someone to do that for you, here's the way to do it.

Material:
A/C-plywood (meaning smooth-sanded on one side) minimum of 5/8" thick
   * Cut with a table-saw into the lengths/widths appropriate for your purposes
   * Cut a 45-degree bevel on three edges, leaving the bottom edge square-cut if it will be open.
     If bottoms will be closed, then cut the 45s on all edges

Glue it together with a strong wood-glue, using small finish nails to hold it all in place.

If you have some of the sliding-bar-clamps available, use them while assembling ,and as the glue dries, making sure to put some padding or a small piece of wood under the clamps to avoid denting the plywood.

Counter-sink the nail-heads slightly, then fill the holes and sand smooth.
Slightly sand the corners and edges to avoid them being too sharp for comfort.

Prime all surfaces w/ oil-base primer, then lightly sand.
Add two coats of enamel, flat/semi-gloss, or gloss-finish, depending on your preferences.
Oil-based enamel will be easier to minimize brush-strokes, but latex will also work if you thin it down a little bit.

You can leave them open or closed on the bottom, as you may prefer. If leaving open, maybe add some nylon or neoprene pads or tape on the bottom edges to avoid scraping floors, etc.

Voila!

Jul 29 21 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Mark Salo wrote:
https://dennymfg.com/collections/posing … raphy-prop

While Apple Boxes can be used as posing props, I think the OP was possibly looking for these:

https://dennymfg.com/collections/posing … 9426421811

Jul 29 21 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Ed Dandy

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for all the replies and helpful tutorial / materials advice!!  And yes originally I wanted have a posing cube that wasnt necessarily wood but honestly I might just go with whatever's easiest.  I'll see if I can find a person that can make one out of cheaper / lighter materials for me and ill just paint it white.  Thanks guys! 

I also saw the dennymfg posing cubes but since I live in Canada, the shipping and potential return might be way too pricey since I can't see them in person first before buying.

Jul 29 21 07:57 am Link

Photographer

The Next Cliche

Maybe Google "wooden planter boxes" or "concrete planter boxes".

Jul 29 21 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

I have a number of different cubes, boxes, platforms around my studio. Some I built, some I inherited from shoots coming in and out of my studio. A former client bought a whole runway set with ramps, steps and platform. All can be assembled with basic carpentry if you have the space and tools. I think that planned some of my sizes according to what could be picked up at the lumber yard/hardware store without cutting.

Jul 29 21 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

If you happen to run across a cabinet shop nearby you might inquire with them. A good cabinet shop is well equipped and it is a super simple task for them. And often someone who knows the tricks of the craft can build them stronger without building them heavier. I had a friend who owned a cabinet shop and he literally built two full sized desks for me while we talked in less than 45 minutes. Well his employees did but it happened so fast I didn't realize he was actually getting them built on the spot. I thought I'd be coming back for them in a week or two.

I'm talking about a custom cabinet maker. Not some box store.

Jul 29 21 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Ed Dandy

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dan Howell wrote:
I have a number of different cubes, boxes, platforms around my studio. Some I built, some I inherited from shoots coming in and out of my studio. A former client bought a whole runway set with ramps, steps and platform. All can be assembled with basic carpentry if you have the space and tools. I think that planned some of my sizes according to what could be picked up at the lumber yard/hardware store without cutting.

thank you!  I might see if I can find local carpenters!  good idea!

Jul 30 21 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Ed Dandy

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Znude! wrote:
If you happen to run across a cabinet shop nearby you might inquire with them. A good cabinet shop is well equipped and it is a super simple task for them. And often someone who knows the tricks of the craft can build them stronger without building them heavier. I had a friend who owned a cabinet shop and he literally built two full sized desks for me while we talked in less than 45 minutes. Well his employees did but it happened so fast I didn't realize he was actually getting them built on the spot. I thought I'd be coming back for them in a week or two.

I'm talking about a custom cabinet maker. Not some box store.

ooh this is a great tip!  I'll look for local carpenters AND custom cabinet makers!  thanks !

Jul 30 21 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Ed Dandy

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Next Cliche wrote:
Maybe Google "wooden planter boxes" or "concrete planter boxes".

good idea!  maybe i can explain to a local carpenter that the posing cube idea i have would basically be a planter box idea...just one taht can support a male model's weight and take it from there.

Jul 30 21 10:45 am Link

Photographer

The Next Cliche

Also maybe search Kijiji for "store fixtures". I passed by a Le Chateau that was closed and had some interesting display stuff.

Aug 03 21 09:58 am Link