Forums > Photography Talk > Canon EOS 5DS

Photographer

JimMendrinos

New York, New York, US

Making the switch from the 5D Mark 3 to the 5DS - anyone using it, have any experience?

Jul 30 21 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Yes, I recently added a 5DS to my Canon Quiver.   The most noticeable difference is the shutter release is smoother and quieter. This is attributed to the dampened mirror box they used on the 5DS.  There is also a nicer USB tether cable whoozit with retaining screws.   And of course…50MP sensor…

I actually got the 5DS for use with my Sinar for image stitching…it works OK but the mirror box vignettes easily when camera shifts and tilts are applied, just like any DSLR.

Of course, images on MM are downgraded a lot from the cameras native resolution, but this one was shot with the 5DS

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46967731

And…here was a test shot (with a stitch failure due to vignetting)….full size, 480 MP…Sinar P2, Sironar 150 f 5.6 APO lens, and the 5DS…

http://studiorockaway.com/images/5dstitch2.jpg

Jul 31 21 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I use the 5DSr with the Sigma Art 50mm and 85mm The results were beyond compare. I also have the Canon 50mm and 85mm lenses and they are a waste of money by comparison to the Sigma Art. The 5DS is not as good in low light as I would like, but with a great lens, it is like a new dimension has opened up. I've used it for portraits, landscapes and advertising. For low light I use the Sony A7r Mk II and A7r Mk IV. The shadow detail falls apart with the Canon 5D.

Jul 31 21 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

JimMendrinos wrote:
Making the switch from the 5D Mark 3 to the 5DS - anyone using it, have any experience?

I use the 5Ds as my main studio camera.

I also have a 5DIV.  In my opinion, the 5DIV is the better camera better camera by every measure except resolution.  However, for studio work, if you need 50 megapixels, the 5DS is a great camera, and produces stunning results.

I previously shot with a 5D2.  The 5DS was a major step up from the 5D2.  I imagine it is also a noticeable step up from a 5D3.

Aug 01 21 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

JimMendrinos wrote:

I used a 5Ds for a while (bought it in June 2015), but I have moved on. Funnily enough, my current camera is also 50 megapixels: the Sony A1. It shoots a bit faster, and the autofocus is a bit more advanced. It is a lot more expensive, though.

I ended up using mostly Sigma Art lenses on the 5Ds. The 85mm and 135mm Art lenses were sharp (albeit heavy - both over a kilogram). The Sigma 150-600 was good, too.

Aug 01 21 06:46 pm Link