Forums > Photography Talk > Final an answer to the age old question...

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Last Saturday I attended a workshop (first time in 30 years) so I could snag the location (backyard with pool, several hammocks, brook with bridge crossing over it, rattan chairs hung from trees and much more). Got there, was being shown around the place and we were walking on a pathway made from 12x12 inch concrete pavers which were unevenly spaced and not level. So, of course, I went down like a ton of bricks. I had my Nikon Z7 with a Nikkor 24mm lens on it around my neck. When I got up the person showing me said broke my glasses but when I retrieved them they were not broken although there was pieces of glass on the paver.

My camera was laying on one of the pavers and when I picked it up I saw where the glass came from. It was from the filter I kept on the lens. The lens itself was fine.

I have kept filters on my lenses for the past fifty years and this is the first time it saved my ass. Better a eighty-five dollar filter than a nine hundred dollar lens.  And for those that say I degraded my image for fifty years by using a filter, I've printed some very, very large prints and they show no loss of definition. FYI, I only use filters from my camera manufacturer be it for my Nikon or Hasselblad, you put a coke bottle in front of your lens and, of course, it will degrade the image.

So, finally a hands on answer to an old question.

Aug 03 21 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Hope the filter was the only damage and you faired okay . I took a spill on some rocks while trying to get the (light) just right on a temple and on my way down tried to protect my camera be landing on my wrist (was aiming for my forearm) I smashed it pretty good but did save my camera.

Aug 03 21 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Acraftman1313 wrote:
I smashed it pretty good but did save my camera.

Yes, priorities in life... camera first, body second. Afterwards I was bleeding from several places but I'm getting used to that.

Aug 03 21 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I had a similar incident with a 70-200mm push-pull zoom lens that didn't have a tripod mount. I was shooting on a beach with my camera body mounted on a sturdy tripod. The very moment I walked away to adjust something on the set a small wave came in and gently washed out the sand around the legs of my tripod causing it to sink and topple over due to its heavy out-of-balance load. The UV lens filter on the front of my lens was badly broken. The front lens element and lens itself escaped unscathed!

Lucky you weren't seriously injured and/or your camera kit damaged. Otherwise you may have needed to make a claim on the venue owner and/or event organiser's liability insurance.

Aug 07 21 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Camera Buff wrote:
Lucky you weren't seriously injured and/or your camera kit damaged. Otherwise you may have needed to make a claim on the venue owner and/or event organiser's liability insurance.

Bleeding from three places, scraped up in four and a huge black and blue on my stomach. They had us sign a release before we could shoot. It was pretty long and complete although where it said "I hereby release" in several places, I inserted the words "do not" so it read "I hereby do not release" and under my name I printed "All Rights Reserved" just like I was taught.

Aug 07 21 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Vector One Photography wrote:
Bleeding from three places, scraped up in four and a huge black and blue on my stomach. They had us sign a release before we could shoot. It was pretty long and complete although where it said "I hereby release" in several places, I inserted the words "do not" so it read "I hereby do not release" and under my name I printed "All Rights Reserved" just like I was taught.

Obviously an incident that could have easily resulted in more serious injuries. In my incident the camera's tripod mount broke out of the base plate of my camera.

Aug 07 21 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

December 31, 2020. I was on an outdoor photo shoot. I was shooting with my Z6 and 24-70mm lens with a uv filter. The camera was on a gimbal as I was shooting some video also. I tripped over a curb(just didn’t see it). The next thing I know I was face first on the sidewalk. My first thought was how badly were the gimbal, lens, and camera damaged. My second thought was where is all this blood coming from?
The only damaged piece of gear was the scratched filter.
I hit my head just above my left temple, and ended up going to the ER. They didn’t stitch the wound just superglued it.

Aug 08 21 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

63fotos wrote:
December 31, 2020. . I tripped over a curb(just didn’t see it). The next thing I know I was face first on the sidewalk.
I hit my head just above my left temple, and ended up going to the ER. They didn’t stitch the wound just superglued it.

Don't feel bad, six weeks ago I tripped over a parking bumper in my own parking lot, went over backwards and my head smacked the concrete sidewalk.  ER doc said I had a concussion.  Ended up with positional vertigo which a neurologist fixed. Good thing I've got Medicare.

Aug 08 21 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
... And for those that say I degraded my image for fifty years by using a filter,..

I have never understood those people. Certainly a top line filter is equivalent in quality to an element inside the lens.

Aug 12 21 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Good lesson.  One of those weakest link in the chain lessons.

Aug 12 21 04:00 pm Link