Forums > Photography Talk > Fujifilm GFX100

Photographer

Ben Levis Photography

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you fine people have come across the Fujifilm GFX100/GFX100S in your travels? It looks like a pretty good deal to get into the MF digital scene so I'm keep to hear peoples opinions on how they perform.

Cheers in advance!

Ben

Nov 18 21 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

The Fuji GFX 100 is the most bang for the buck in medium format digital camera systems. Fuji's collaboration with Phase to allow RAW processing with Capture One is really what makes the Fuji GFX a viable system for professionals.  Excellent quality and most all the Fuji GF lenses are very good.  To obtain better image quality, you would have to invest substantially more with Phase One's IQ4150 digital back, XF body and/or technical camera system.

Nov 28 21 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Ben Levis Photography

Thanks for the reply mate smile My thoughts exactly, I've loved C1Pro for years and the new version with HDR and Panoramic Stitching with raw files is quite handy. The gigapixel panoramas will be much easier to compose with 100mp captures thats for sure.

Ben

Dec 12 21 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Logan Bowes

Chicago, Illinois, US

If you're looking to get into medium format, the GFX50SII was designed specifically for that reason.  It's essentially just a refreshed version of the first iteration of the 50S, so not much has changed sensor-wise or performance-wise, but they now sell it with an included "kit" lens and it's priced around the same as some high-end full-frame cameras.  The 50SII, sans lens, sells for $4K, and with the lens for $4.5K.  Fuji's whole purpose behind it was to build something that wasn't going to advance the original a ton so they could price it lower and make medium format more accessible. 

That said, I'd rather shell out $2K more for the GFX100S, but that's just me.  I've played around with the GFX100S a couple times and it's stunning and I want one badly.  I work in a camera store, though, so I get to play around with everything!

Jan 06 22 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Right now, the 100S is the cheapest way to get a native 100Mpixel camera. Yes, you can use pixel shift to get larger images from smaller sensors (if your subject and background are stationary), but the 100S gives you that from a single shot.

Cheapest does not mean cheap, though. The lenses are not cheap, either, and there isn't a heap of choice. But if they have the lens you need, it can produce excellent images.

If I could afford one just for the times I'm in the studio, I'd be sorely tempted. But I enjoy shooting outside, too, and I prefer the flexibility of a 35mm system for that.

To be honest, I'd like to see a bigger sensor - something up closer to the 6cm that was MF film rather than 2/3 or 3/4 of that. After all, the point is to have huge pixels with minimal noise so we really do get 16 bit output. A 45mm x 60mm sensor (645 format), or even a 60mm x 60mm sensor would be ideal (and right now, horribly expensive...). But a boy can dream, can't he?

Jan 07 22 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Levis Photography

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:
Right now, the 100S is the cheapest way to get a native 100Mpixel camera. Yes, you can use pixel shift to get larger images from smaller sensors (if your subject and background are stationary), but the 100S gives you that from a single shot.

Cheapest does not mean cheap, though. The lenses are not cheap, either, and there isn't a heap of choice. But if they have the lens you need, it can produce excellent images.

If I could afford one just for the times I'm in the studio, I'd be sorely tempted. But I enjoy shooting outside, too, and I prefer the flexibility of a 35mm system for that.

To be honest, I'd like to see a bigger sensor - something up closer to the 6cm that was MF film rather than 2/3 or 3/4 of that. After all, the point is to have huge pixels with minimal noise so we really do get 16 bit output. A 45mm x 60mm sensor (645 format), or even a 60mm x 60mm sensor would be ideal (and right now, horribly expensive...). But a boy can dream, can't he?

Yes we can dream! I've been dreaming of MF digital for years, so diet MF digital in the GFX will have to do for now until Phase One stops taking the piss and charging an abdominal cavity full of organs for their equipment haha!

Feb 03 22 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

This has some good observations on the 100 vs 100s and a few lens choices.

https://youtu.be/wYqEn2UBzN8

Feb 06 22 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Ben Levis Photography

Well, the tax return came in and I bit the bullet, picked up a GFX100S with 45-100mm zoom lens.

Oh.. my.. god!! 100mp of image is insane, also quite unforgiving with the minutest of focus errors but you get it right the image quality is absolutely glorious. Now i need to get someone in front of the lens.

Oct 07 22 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Congrats on the jump to medium format - Yeah, you're about to discover a whole new word of resolution once you work out how best to stabilize and focus.  Im a bit jealous of that Fuji - but I just gotta have that mirror slap!

Oct 08 22 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

There’s another kid on the block, too - Hasselblad’s new camera (I forget what it’s called - something like X2D) - uses pretty much the same sensor as the GFX-100S, but has some interesting wrinkles - the lenses all contain leaf shutters, which is cool. You may need a few more internal organs to afford one (it is a Hasselblad…), and there are reports of teething problems in backlit AF, but still 100Mpixels.

Oct 11 22 08:03 pm Link