Forums > Photography Talk > How difficult is it...

Model

Iona Lynn 2

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

How many messages does it take a photographer to book a photo session?
1-2
3-6
6-Let's just chit chat & never actually shoot anything...

What is your preferred casting info & how many photo sessions a week do you average?

I find it fascinating that people are expected to agree to a photo session when they have no info other than who they may be working with.
No time frame
No location
No length of the shoot
No pay rate (Even with TFP, I need to know how many PRINTS I'll get)

What is the solution?

Apr 30 22 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

It usually takes me two messages. Now and then there may be a third exchange if questions arise about the location.

Of course this depends on the first message ever getting a response from the model.
You probably come from a generation where people were taught to show up for work on time or a little early, answer messages, be helpful, be respectful, be professional, etc. And now you are trying to mix those values into a world that might not follow those disciplines.  It's a tough match to make.

May 01 22 10:02 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Well Iona,

Given your low post count in this forum, and your status as a model, I am going to assume that you don't have much experience in arranging shoots.

Sometimes it is necessary to use many messages in order to get to know a model and see if they will be receptive to what you are proposing. Once you have worn them down... I mean once you have established a professional relationship you can then meet them at a neutral public location for coffee or drinks. Be sure to be generous at this part because you want them to associate you with having a nice time... it also increases the chance that they will give you extra time without charging the full rate. wink

Once they know you... just give them a date, a concept, and a place to show up to. You can work out all the details after. /sarcasm

In reality- the solution is for everyone to treat everyone else as if their time is as valuable as yours. Respect that. Getting people to PRACTICE this solution??? Good luck.

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:
1-2
3-6

What is your preferred casting info & how many photo sessions a week do you average?

I find it fascinating that people are expected to agree to a photo session when they have no info other than who they may be working with.
No time frame
No location
No length of the shoot

What is the solution?

May 01 22 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

NakeyPiX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:
1-2
3-6

Things certainly have changed with the Twitter generation.
In the early days of MM I used to send out castings that were basically a paragraph or two which listed the details including date, time, location, wardrobe requirments, and other important information along those lines.

I would get a pretty good response rate, maybe 75-80%.  The shoots were usually confirmed within one or two messages.

During the past dozen years or so the response rate dwindled down to nearly nothing.
Research indicates that the newer models think that reading a paragraph is too long and won't bother reading it.

The usual response from either a private or publicly displayed casting call is usually just one word: "interested".

Now they just want one sentence at a time, so now it takes at least a dozen or so one line sentences and another 12 replies from them before they ghost you.  It's sad, but that's our modern society for ya!

May 01 22 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
Well Iona,

Given your low post count in this forum, and your status as a model, I am going to assume that you don't have much experience in arranging shoots.

LOL

May 01 22 05:44 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
Well Iona,

Iona is an OG of the traveling model community. She was active here in the early 00s, and remains an important part of MM's history - as both a model and photographer.

And also, she's a wonderful and kind human being. ❤

May 01 22 06:22 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Mark Salo wrote:

LOL

Dude, IKR?!?

May 01 22 06:23 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
Well Iona,

Alexandra Vincent wrote:
Iona is an OG of the traveling model community. She was active here in the early 00s, and remains an important part of MM's history - as both a model and photographer.

Rich is an old friend too.

Back on topic... Like HOW are people expected to agree to a shoot when NO details are given....
Like is this 2 hours or 12?
$200 payment or 1 print & a moldy turkey sandwich?
In climate controlled studio or 102 degree heat wave?

*headdeak*

May 01 22 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:
1-2
3-6

No time frame
No location
No length of the shoot

What is the solution?

None of this is difficult.
Since it never happens it is impossible.
My solution is to focus on songwriting.
You may prefer another pursuit.

May 01 22 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

How difficult is it?
... It can be as difficult as one party (or both) may wish to make it. 

A solution?
... If I feel I am chit-chatting with a time-waster ... I would simply present this person with a copy of my terms and conditions for their consideration.

May 02 22 04:07 am Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

I've worked with quite a few working models from Slavic countries. Exchange began here on MM, and when we agreed to work, after 1 message each, we did the rest with WhatsApp. Then only exchanges on time of arrival, or where to pick them up from the train. Afterwards thanks to and fro. They all were good communicators, read an remembered all I wrote to them.

May 02 22 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

NVM

May 02 22 09:29 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

Camera Buff wrote:
How difficult is it?
... It can be as difficult as one party (or both) may wish to make it. 

A solution?
... If I feel I am chit-chatting with a time-waster ... I would simply present this person with a copy of my terms and conditions for their consideration.

That is a good solution, I might as well set up a few lights and do my own photos while I'm at it.

May 02 22 10:31 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

Shadow Dancer wrote:
None of this is difficult.
Since it never happens it is impossible.
My solution is to focus on songwriting.
You may prefer another pursuit.

I'm staying busy with photographic clients, getting paid well, & having fun, it is just here on MM, I keep getting asked about modeling yet, no one wants to actually set up the photo session. Oh well.

May 02 22 10:32 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Alexandra Vincent wrote:

Alexandra, perhaps you missed the /sarcasm in my post. Iona and I have been friends for years and I am incredibly well aware of her talent, vision, and experience. wink

I suppose I should be MORE upset that you don't recognize MY place in MM history as the original Stylist forum mod, early founding member, moderator, and bon vivant!

Alas, all things come to pass. LOL

(I actually appreciate you supporting my friend in the face of a perceived troll, good on you!)

May 02 22 11:17 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:
Back on topic... Like HOW are people expected to agree to a shoot when NO details are given....

*headdeak*

I really did mean what I said at the end of my post. It comes down to EVERYONE respecting the time and energy of EVERYONE else. But given the way our culture keeps sliding, I think people are much more interested in establishing power dynamics.

May 02 22 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:

I'm staying busy with photographic clients, getting paid well, & having fun, it is just here on MM, I keep getting asked about modeling yet, no one wants to actually set up the photo session. Oh well.

Good on you!!!!

I've had no shoots for years, just kinda gave up. I think I have one pending, we've done the one message and the meet for coffee thing and it looks like a go for late May.

Nothing surprises me, I've been a gigging musician for 40+ years and musicians might be less socially accomplished than their peers in the photographic arts.

May 02 22 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:
That is a good solution, I might as well set up a few lights and do my own photos while I'm at it.

I am pleased to have helped you to find a good DIY solution. There are models on MM who have taken photo sessions into their own hands/studios and their self portrait efforts have been remarkably creative and successful.

May 02 22 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Usually three to four max to book it and if it is not in near future ( two or more weeks) may be a couple of follow ups

May 03 22 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Sliver-Sliver

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:

Your desire for a rapid conclusion to negotiations makes sense (to me) if one or both parties goes into the interaction knowing exactly what the parameters are. What I shoot and how I shoot and what I charge (or not) isn’t going to be decided until I’ve had a discussion with the prospective subject. The inclusion of genres A, B, and C in a model's portfolio  doesn’t necessarily imply that the model wants to shoot A, B, or C with me. Similarly, the fact that I have styles X, Y, and Z in my portfolio doesn’t necessarily assume that I want to photography X, Y, or Z with the particular model in question.

How long (it might be 2 h, it might be 12; it depends), what wardrobe, what deliverables, how much, what date are all interconnected variables for me. I don’t just plug random generic unfamiliar people into preconceived ideas; it’s not how I’m interested in (sic) creating. How long that conversation takes depends on how amenable all parties are in engaging in discussing those details. Those who won’t or can’t dive into details end up being people I’m unlikely to photograph, and I’m okay with that. Personally, I don't ask people to agree to a shoot, I ask them to agree to a discussion about a possible shoot, and thereby discover common ground (or not).  My way isn’t the right way, but it’s the right way for me. Others have the right way for them, and I don't begrudge them that.

May 05 22 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Probably no more than five or six messages each way to book the shoot.

May 11 22 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
Well Iona,

Gosh, you go away for a couple of minutes and your status gets dumped overnight. smile

May 12 22 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Robert Randall wrote:

Gosh, you go away for a couple of minutes and your status gets dumped overnight. smile

Welcome back, Sir Bob!!!!

Iona and Body Painter Rich are friends of long standing, he's just goofing on her. smile

May 12 22 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:
1-2
3-6

No time frame
No location
No length of the shoot

What is the solution?

Solution:  Strop trolling the swamp looking for other than swamp-minded models/photographers.  What do you expect.  There are some really great models to be found on MM and other sites, but they're the needles in the haystack.   C'mon, you can't be that daft--- When you're looking for an attorney with a PhD in engineering for your patent preparation, etc., are you going to shop Chicago, Yale, NYU, Harvard and Stanford or Baton Rouge, Florida State, IU Indianapolis, etc..

This isn't rocket science.  You don't shop for prime rib at McDonalds.   Also you may need to upgrade the crowd you regularly associate with.  If you associate with those who mostly are highly educated, then their friends and associates and sons and daughters interested who may model for you will be generally of the same ilk.... which is different from those who spend every waking moment with the cell phone glued to their face looking at silly posts on tiktok and instagram.   Likewise shopping photographers.

If you want college-minded, educated, on-time, going-somewhere with their life, kind of models, then you have to shop that kind of demographic...  If you want photographers that area detailed / business oriented, then you have to shop for that.

Wake up people.

Aug 18 22 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

csybt

Denver, Colorado, US

I don't keep count, but if it gets to about 5 messages or so without the model showing any interest in actually following through (ie asking about dates, times, content, expectations) than I ignore them. It works out pretty well too to weed the people who want to pretend to be models without actually going through with the modeling part.

Aug 18 22 03:57 pm Link