Forums > Photography Talk > Instagram dead? Where do y'all find new models now

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

First account was hacked at 8K, second account deleted for posting a hand bra pic. Third account is going nowhere, can't find new models and no one wants to work with someone with virtually no followers. Seems girls get more than enough attention with selfies now any ways so why collab with a photographer? LOL is this where we are now...

Jul 11 22 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

There used to be a site called “Model Mayhem” -  “Professional Models meet Model Photographers”.  I don’t know if it is still around or not, though, I haven’t been on it in a long time.

Jul 12 22 07:52 am Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

And no one has used it since 2015

Jul 12 22 08:01 am Link

Photographer

BeachTog757

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

IMO, it's not Instagram, Model Mayhem, Twitter or any of those.  The entire photography and modeling industry is/has changed and not for the better.  Back when I first started photographing models I would send out messages and wind up with two or three shoots a week and that went on you several years.  Now for reason women and especially young women are just not as interested in modeling as they once were.  Someone once told me that when the TV show ANTM wrapped up women were just not as interested in modeling anymore.  Also, women have to put up with a lot more these days.  GWC photographers, sex traffickers, pimps, outright creeps who try to take advantage, and more.  Also, with sites like OF, Tumbler, and Tinder a woman can be her own boss and make some money as well whereas back in the day a woman had to work for years and at times take a lot of crap to make money in modeling and now they can make money with an IPhone and a web cam.  Things have definitely changed and I am not sure they are for the better but this is the world we live in sadly.  :-(

Jul 12 22 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

neoracer wrote:
Instagram dead? Where do y'all find new

How about Model Mayhem?

Jul 12 22 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

yes exactly this, I never used to have trouble getting shoots and now its a real freekin grind.

BeachTog757 wrote:
IMO, it's not Instagram, Model Mayhem, Twitter or any of those.  The entire photography and modeling industry is/has changed and not for the better.  Back when I first started photographing models I would send out messages and wind up with two or three shoots a week and that went on you several years.  Now for reason women and especially young women are just not as interested in modeling as they once were.  Someone once told me that when the TV show ANTM wrapped up women were just not as interested in modeling anymore.  Also, women have to put up with a lot more these days.  GWC photographers, sex traffickers, pimps, outright creeps who try to take advantage, and more.  Also, with sites like OF, Tumbler, and Tinder a woman can be her own boss and make some money as well whereas back in the day a woman had to work for years and at times take a lot of crap to make money in modeling and now they can make money with an IPhone and a web cam.  Things have definitely changed and I am not sure they are for the better but this is the world we live in sadly.  :-(

Jul 12 22 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Perfect Exposure

New York, New York, US

Sadly, all change isn't good.

Jul 14 22 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

Los Angeles, California, US

They're all in LA and still using this site and instagram

and they're not letting awareness of sex traffickers and pimps deter them

("awareness" because those were always there and nothing new has cropped up)

Jul 14 22 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mark Salo wrote:
How about Model Mayhem?

It's dead. It has been dead for many years now actually. Back when I first joined, and for several years after, I used to see 10-20 casting calls PER WEEK from models looking for photographers to do TFP shoots with them here in vegas. Now, I'd be shocked if there were that many per year. Every model with an entire portfolio of 3 iphone photos now thinks they should be getting paid $150/hour and less people join this site in a year than used to join in a week not long ago.

Jul 15 22 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Every model with an entire portfolio of 3 iphone photos now thinks they should be getting paid $150/hour and less people join this site in a year than used to join in a week not long ago.

... and lately many of the new models that you've descibed above seem to be 'catfish'.  They get an MM account, contact or reply... and then vanish, never to log in again.  I'm certain many of them are catfish but I don't have the absolute proof that MM requires to remove a profile.

I've made some suggestions behind the scenes and in public forum to fix the problems. I later found out that some of the suggestions are successfully used on other websites, but MM doesn't seem to be interested in fixing the holes in the boat and sometimes even reverts itself in hopes of 'fixing' the problem (ie: for awhile NO SELFIES were permitted in a models portfolio, and it seemed we had more serious people applying and getting approved).

It's really a sad state of affairs when it's easier to hire a model on a random site like FB or IG than it is to hire a model on a site specifically designed for the purpose (ie:MM).  MM has become nothing more than the home page for IG.  People click on a profile, see their IG link and go to find as many photos as the person wants to display and they're able to contact each other without jumping through hoops like what happens on MM.

Jul 15 22 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

A very well known model told me recently that she makes more money in a week on onlyfans than she ever made doing photoshoots. And she doesn't have to put up with grumpy old jackwads who try to sneak shots, get gropey, or try pushing her beyond her limits. Plus she gets to control what sort of content gets put out there.

But, that may change soon depending how bad the coming recession is. I've noticed in my area the models are starting to trickle back. Even here on MM.

Jul 16 22 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

these days most people are just satisfied with their selfies on mobile that they can upload to TikTok, etc. Looking at phones now, they produce sharp images. Reason why cameras have gone downhill, so is modelling other than if it's for an ad.

Jul 18 22 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Jul 22 22 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Jul 22 22 02:57 am Link

Model

Papro

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Studio NSFW wrote:
There used to be a site called “Model Mayhem” -  “Professional Models meet Model Photographers”.  I don’t know if it is still around or not, though, I haven’t been on it in a long time.

i was gona say, it's the actual model mayhem, not this one

Jul 23 22 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Deric Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

I shoot engagement photos to get paid and use this money to buy new gear and hire models to shoot the images in my portfolio here.

I have had two instagram accounts suspended but never had good luck with IG because the flake (and unexplained ghosting) factor was so much higher than on MM...something I attribute to the fact that many "models" on IG aren't actually supporting themselves through paid modeling . This site still has a lot more models, especially travelling models, who will show up because it's their income.

That being said, 3-4 years ago I could book 3 models per day for a 3-day weekend and would have 1 no-show out of the whole weekend. Now, I'm getting ghosted in my messages a lot more, even though nude shooting rates have gone up 50% in the same timeframe; it's taking a lot more work just to find a model, which makes the whole process not much fun for me! I've really lost my steam since 2020 and most of it is due to the difficulty scheduling models, whether here or on IG.

Aug 04 22 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

Yea I've been made fun of for merely asking someone if they would model for me. Thats if I'm lucky to get any response at all.

Aug 10 22 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Narcissistic hot girls are now able to self produce all the photos and videos they need to get validation. Sure, the quality is inferior, but it's good enough to get them what they want. That leaves us with only the models that genuinely enjoy working with us. They're out there, but the field has certainly narrowed a lot.

Oct 13 22 09:32 am Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Deric Photography wrote:
I shoot engagement photos to get paid and use this money to buy new gear and hire models to shoot the images in my portfolio here.

I have had two instagram accounts suspended but never had good luck with IG because the flake (and unexplained ghosting) factor was so much higher than on MM...something I attribute to the fact that many "models" on IG aren't actually supporting themselves through paid modeling . This site still has a lot more models, especially travelling models, who will show up because it's their income.

That being said, 3-4 years ago I could book 3 models per day for a 3-day weekend and would have 1 no-show out of the whole weekend. Now, I'm getting ghosted in my messages a lot more, even though nude shooting rates have gone up 50% in the same timeframe; it's taking a lot more work just to find a model, which makes the whole process not much fun for me! I've really lost my steam since 2020 and most of it is due to the difficulty scheduling models, whether here or on IG.

Yep, you pretty much need to do weddings if you want paying jobs. Even for non-wedding jobs like family portraits, sports team photos, business photos, in all of those cases, the go-to photographer is going to be them one who did the wedding. If you want to make money shooting IG, Patreon, or OF content you need to offer an all-inclusive channel management package

Oct 13 22 09:43 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

I never considered Instagram, as I only HIRE models for nudes and IG is ultra prudish.

Where I get models:

*Model Mayhem (browse)

*Model Mayhem (castings)

*Model Mayhem (they find me).

*Twitter

*Model Society

*chat up Figure (painting) models and their friends.

Oct 14 22 06:30 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

neoracer wrote:
First account was hacked at 8K, second account deleted for posting a hand bra pic. Third account is going nowhere, can't find new models and no one wants to work with someone with virtually no followers. Seems girls get more than enough attention with selfies now any ways so why collab with a photographer? LOL is this where we are now...

Hi,

I cancelled my IG account, (both the modeling one and the photography.) Highest follower count on the model one was under 7k but, down to 2500 or so when I cancelled it. I wasn't using it. However, I'm geographically isolated for shooting.

Jen

Oct 15 22 05:08 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

John Jebbia  wrote:
A very well known model told me recently that she makes more money in a week on onlyfans than she ever made doing photoshoots. And she doesn't have to put up with grumpy old jackwads who try to sneak shots, get gropey, or try pushing her beyond her limits. Plus she gets to control what sort of content gets put out there.

But, that may change soon depending how bad the coming recession is. I've noticed in my area the models are starting to trickle back. Even here on MM.

Hello!!

Day one of my trickle back. smile
Jen

Oct 15 22 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Fast Motion

Neenah, Wisconsin, US

These posts are all spot on. Models produce and market all their work.MM is just a free display case. I wonder what situation is in other countries.

Oct 15 22 11:25 am Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Studio NSFW wrote:

LOL! It's a slow, painful death. Now everyone has a camera phone, and they keep getting better and better and with AI, only those models that can see the artistic value in using a model still shoots with a photographer. Now everyone is a photographer and newbies don't understand how the process of having a photo is conceived, they expect instant delivery like on their phone.....

Oct 15 22 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Yes...This is where we are now
Photographer=Tyrannosaurus Rex
Social Media=Asteroid

Oct 16 22 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jen B wrote: