Forums > Photography Talk > CCB.gov Copyright Claims Board

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

Have you heard of it? Apparently it just opened up this summer and it’s like a small claims court for independent artists. Damages are capped at $30,000 but that’s not too bad I guess.

I saw it on Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRUYF5uJ/?k=1

https://www.ccb.gov

Aug 02 22 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

WoW!
It's finally happening!!!
I know that the idea was being discussed at least a dozen years ago if not more (I, along with many others) was invited to give my input to the idea, and I did.  I even put a message here in the modelmayhem forums to let others know to give input and get involved.

Just like the high speed LA to Las Vegas bullet train, there has been a long history of discussing it and even an announcement that it's starting soon... but in the case of the 'copyright small claims court' it actually is happening.

Aug 03 22 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Hey, some good news.

thanks Joel, wonder why that wasn't in the paper.

Aug 03 22 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I currently have an issue with a previous client who tried to bully me at every step, I licensed a defined number of images and she took images off the proof sheets and made two videos that I know of. I have already started the process with my IP Attorney, it should result in twice that amount. It's a good thing I registered the images the day I delivered them to the client so the LOC is processing my application. I will take a look at the link for future reference.

Aug 04 22 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

It is somewhat neutered.   If the infringing party so chooses, they can elect to not participate and then your only recourse is the same one you had all along - file a claim in Federal Court.

Aug 08 22 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Yes, I found it interesting that the other party can simply ignore the mediation and take their chances with you filing suit in Federal Court. I've started the process with my IP Attorney and my registration is being processed with the LOC, he may wait on the notice letter till I receive the Certificate but at least I know there should be a base number on the nine images plus multiple violations of those images. I am not feeling generous after the client tried to bully me at every step of the process.

Aug 09 22 08:40 am Link