Forums > Photography Talk > New Leica M 6 film camera -

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Leica has reintroduced its M-6 film camera. The M-6 being the last great Leica M film camera, they seem to think there is enough new interest in film to produce this beautiful camera. The body is going to sell for a little over $5,000. and of course will use any M lens. 

What is the interest here for this camera and do you agree that the new interest in film makes this move by Leica reasonable?  No need to get into the whole issue of the expense of Leica - that has been beaten to death. But is there going to be a serious return to film? 

Thoughts?

Oct 21 22 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

There have always been a fairly large group of photographers who have preferred the continuous tones and wide latitude of film images. Although, with the ever-increasing pixel counts of modern professional digital cameras, there may be even fewer of them about as time goes by.

However, I'm sure Leica film-based cameras will always be popular, and so having available newly-manufactured units of their last version is likely still within Leica's interests. They may be selling that model for a long time to come.

Oct 22 22 04:04 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Weldphoto wrote:
But is there going to be a serious return to film? 

Thoughts?

Define serious. More than a tiny sliver of the image-taking population worldwide? Not very likely. The masses are ever-trending towards instant gratification and instantaneous sharing. Film offers neither of those.

Whatever Leica chooses to do has negligible impact on the picture-taking masses. Even for those of us who do shoot film, new Leica offerings aren’t within the value-added sphere for the overwhelming majority.

I'm fairly sure Leica did their market research diligence. They make a premium niche product and have a loyal following; they'll sell the ones they produce. It will have almost no influence on the consumer-level production of new film cameras by other manufacturers.

Oct 23 22 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Back in the day I loved my M6 but today only as a collectable. No interest in film at all

Oct 24 22 08:38 pm Link