Forums > General Industry > Will AI be devastating to truth and photography?

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

The cat is out of the bag!  Artificial Intelligence is here to stay, but is this a good thing?  I am worried about images (photographs) being so created as to support a false narrative for selfish purposes.  https://www.cnn.com/style/article/ai-ph … USFCobAvik

Apr 18 23 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

There is already a thread and discussion on this same story:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/983256

Apr 18 23 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Modelphilia wrote:
There is already a thread and discussion on this same story:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/983256

A Photographer Tried to Get His Photos Removed from an AI Dataset. He Got an Invoice Instead.

I don't get why there is not more of a concern for the protection of our created works?  Check this article out!  THIS is for all creatives to read!   I have hundreds of thousands of images from my 40+ years of photography, along with my grandfathers work that has not been published.  Much of my best work has not been posted on the Internet for this very reason that AI is using posted images to create artificially made creations which maybe historically wrong.  As a journalistic photographer, I find this disturbing!  What do you think?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkapb7/ … ce-instead

Also models should be concerned because this could reduce the need for them when creating images.

Apr 29 23 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

I don't know about "truth in photography". One could argue even lens selection is a truth distortion. Not to mention photoshop has been going on for decades. And darkroom manipulation long before that.

I feel like AI is more illustration than photography. Or photography as illustration. I don't know, but it's not photography, rather the bastardization of photography. Rather these distinctions make any difference and to whom is the question.

I am concerned, as someone who also has stock photography on multiple platforms, about the rights of imagery used in this fashion. But as a photographer who shoots corporate (biz direct), advertising (fitness and lifestyles), corporate events, I don't really see it taking much away from me. Clients want specific things, not random generated.

I think there is some low hanging fruit here that may go away the same as happened with cell phone camera technology.

When I was assisting I worked with a prominent portrait photographer who told me the money in photography is in if you can direct talent, create emotion, draw things out of individuals. The AI stuff I see with people all looks void of emotion.

Apr 30 23 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

With the use of lens distortion, angles, and other tools of our trade is how we can manipulate what we capture, and also what we can do in post production, so it is possible to make anything appear real, is it not?  Perhaps "truth" does not exist except in our own perception?  As artists creating images, are we making our own "truths?"  However, in my opinion it seems to me that AI is going to further cloud the truth.   

We've entered The Twilight Zone!

Another important article to check out; 
https://www.blind-magazine.com/stories/ … ournalism/

May 03 23 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
With the use of lens distortion, angles, and other tools of our trade is how we can manipulate what we capture, and also what we can do in post production, so it is possible to make anything appear real, is it not?

the difference as I see it between lens selection/post production and AI generated images is this.
The photographer creates an image based in the reality of a moment in time,
What AI creates may be based entirely on fiction.

May 03 23 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Chris Macan wrote:
the difference as I see it between lens selection/post production and AI generated images is this.
The photographer creates an image based in the reality of a moment in time,
What AI creates may be based entirely on fiction.

How will we know the difference?

I posted this on my Facebook, and Michael Beckerman who I am "Friends" with there wrote this comment;

"AI is Photoshop on steroids. Very soon, you won't be able to trust a single thing that you see OR hear. This won't just destroy photography and reporting, it will destroy the entire concept of "news" itself. That's the world we are now heading into. Get ready."

He is a longtime member here on MM but not logged on since 2015.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/michaelbeckermanphotography

May 03 23 10:42 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I would draw a distinction between categories such as "news" or "scientific" photography, etc, and many other types of photography.

I do some work that is based on "fantasy" and, realistically, it's a category that always has been.  Regardless of whatever the current level of technology was.

And you can also think about things like fashion photography, advertising, portraits, etc.  We're all aware of how many areas where "significantly improving" on real life has always been a part of photography.   Not to mention, "art" or "fine art" photography, etc.

Hell, think about Ansel Adams famous black and white Yosemite work including, at least from what I understand, his remarkable eye, technical ability and DARKROOM work (although I'll definitely yield to Ken's Marcus' personal experience with him in these areas).

The point is, "accurate" or "real" has all too often NOT been the purpose of all sorts of genres of photography.  And yes, the tools keep constantly changing over time, allowing you to do more and more in a simpler manner.

And just how long has it been now since people started complaining that you can't "trust" photos as being "real" anymore, due to Photoshop?  Not to mention the famous "Fairies at the bottom of our garden" photographs from 1917?

May 03 23 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

By the way, as far as "News" goes, I'm already seeing interesting images that accompany news stories where the text under the image says something to the effect of "image for illustrative purposes (related to <insert news story subject here>)".  Which, isn't that different from using stock photos for news stories.  The danger, of course, is if a news source falsely claims that a photo they're showing is a "real capture" of some event.

But in these days of people watching the visually ultra-convincing (for lack of a better term) Avatar 2 film, I also believe that people are far more aware of how just much easier it is to fake "pictures" these days.  And that they have to judge things accordingly.

Just my own two cents worth!

May 03 23 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

LightDreams wrote:
Hell, think about Ansel Adams famous black and white Yosemite work including, at least from what I understand, his remarkable eye, technical ability and DARKROOM work (although I'll definitely yield to Ken's Marcus' personal experience with him in these areas).

The point is, "accurate" or "real" has all too often NOT been the purpose of all sorts of genres of photography.  And yes, the tools keep constantly changing over time, allowing you to do more and more in a simpler manner.

I would love to hear from Ken Marcus on this subject.  Some people I've talked with have been of the opinion that if Ansel Adams were alive today and still active with photography that he would welcome the use of Photoshop, Lightroom, and probably AI as well.  After all, we should not stand in the way of progress.

You are correct that photography does not have to be "real" or "accurate" as it is subjective and with many purposes.  My thinking is from a journalistic perspective.  I can produce art, but because of my knack for writing and the desire to speak the truth, I tend to slip away from my artistic state of mind.  So much of the great music I enjoy is fictional even if some is based on real stories. Sadly we just lost one of the greatest musical story tellers the other day with Gordon Lightfoot's passing.  As for photography, most images do tell stories that are not necessarily real or accurate.   

Life is not perfect.  I think my concern about AI is that it feels like we are striving for perfection so much so that we create  with such a thin line between what is real and what is an illusion.  Will AI change history?  Who knows?  Maybe one day we shall be able to travel back in time and change history ourselves.  Would we do that to correct our mistakes?  I hope not because our mistakes and imperfections make us who we are today.  The desire for perfection could one day be our demise.

May 03 23 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

I should clarify that I DO believe that AI will have a radical impact on society.  And in more and more impactful ways as time goes on.

I am not trying to justify whether it's good or bad.  In my experience, major technological advances are usually both.  I.E.  A double edged sword.  And I've realized that those types of changes will happen, without any regard for what I think!  So...

But business wise, it's usually advantageous to figure out which changes are coming, regardless.  And how to make use of it where it makes good business sense (or expands your creative possibilities!).  All while trying to avoid some of the pitfalls.  Navigating major change is rarely an easy task.

I was also trying to suggest that the image "truth" and "accuracy" issues aren't really all that new.  Just raised to new levels.  But I think people generally accept that (more so than ever!) you can't always "trust" that the images you see are "real".

May 03 23 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

The term AI refers to the ability of computers to emulate human intelligence, for example in game play or in conversation, when they are programmed to do that by humans. But can humans emulate AI? Certainly there are people who would like us to be like computers. Or robots.

May 11 23 03:54 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
The term AI refers to the ability of computers to emulate human intelligence, for example in game play or in conversation, when they are programmed to do that by humans. But can humans emulate AI? Certainly there are people who would like us to be like computers. Or robots.

As always your post is off topic. Having nothing to do with the question asked. So you created one of your own. Stop derailing threads.
https://inktank.fi/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/vintage-train-bridge-wreck.gif

May 11 23 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

deleted

May 11 23 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Patrick Walberg wrote:
How will we know the difference?

In this age of MAGAtruth and doublethink, THAT is the pertinent  question of our time.

May 11 23 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Just another phase in history...

https://www.businessinsider.com/fake-ph … esthetic-7

And, this is a composite image I created in Photoshop.
M for Mature, you have been warned.
It would have been impossible to shoot this in a grocery store without causing a commotion or legal action, etc. Plus, the model would have been really cold!!!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/47802081

May 11 23 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Focuspuller wrote:

In this age of MAGAtruth and doublethink, THAT is the pertinent  question of our time.

Fair observation.
We are close to the point of no news photos or videos being believable.
It is simply becoming too easy to make fakes out of whole cloth,
and there are too many willing to do it for personal gain. (or just to sow discord)

May 12 23 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Just another phase in history...

https://www.businessinsider.com/fake-ph … esthetic-7

And, this is a composite image I created in Photoshop.
M for Mature, you have been warned.
It would have been impossible to shoot this in a grocery store without causing a commotion or legal action, etc. Plus, the model would have been really cold!!!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/47802081

Great example!   Although this is not "critique"  I think I'm allowed to tell you that I like that image though.

May 12 23 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Chris Macan wrote:

Fair observation.
and there are too many willing to do it for personal gain. (or just to sow discord)

Many years ago while this website and forum were a fast paced and popular place, a photographer from the LA area created a profile for a "model" that did not exist.  Of course most of us have heard of catfishing and fake profiles, but this one fooled everyone it seemed. The "person" was made a moderator of the forums for a time, then "she" died of cancer .. all over a period of time gaining the live and sympathy of many of us including me.  When "she" died, I called a photographer (a woman) that I know personally and ugly cried on the phone to her over a person who did not exist.  I felt like such a fool when it was reviled shortly after that the "model" in LA who I wanted to meet did not actually exist at all. The photographer of course was banned from this website. 

How do any of you know that I exist.  Maybe I'm a bot? In person contact is critical for mental health.  If there is a clear distinction between reality, organic art and AI, that would be helpful.

May 12 23 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Chris Macan wrote:

Fair observation.

We are already at the point where clear truth is doubted and proven lies are believed. A.I. combined with VR will erase the line completely. Consider this:

In 1938 a 24-year old virtuoso, by simply manipulating sound over radio, convinced millions that the United States was actually being invaded by Martians.

May 13 23 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Great example!   Although this is not "critique"  I think I'm allowed to tell you that I like that image though.

Thanks, it looks simple but the process is a bit complex. We had fun creating that image!

May 13 23 10:25 am Link

Model

Simon Rob

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Does it mean that photographers don't need models because it can create images without models and probably without photographers. On TV a while back they were saying that sporting goods manufacturers are using it to get images of people that could not exist to market their goods. I do not see any reason why they will not get rid of photography as much as they can because the computer will be cheaper and more convenient. Maybe I am wrong but I definately see a model problem for fitness models because they have to physically exist.

May 13 23 11:41 am Link

Model

Simon Rob

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Does it mean that photographers don't need models because it can create images without models and probably without photographers. On TV a while back they were saying that sporting goods manufacturers are using it to get images of people that could not exist to market their goods. I do not see any reason why they will not get rid of photography as much as they can because the computer will be cheaper and more convenient. Maybe I am wrong but I definately see a model problem for fitness models because they have to physically exist.

May 13 23 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Simon Rob wrote:

Those would not be "photographers" but creators. They may reach the point where there are so many images on the Internet that they no longer need anything but the web to create.   It's a scary thought!

May 13 23 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Those would not be "photographers" but creators. They may reach the point where there are so many images on the Internet that they no longer need anything but the web to create.   It's a scary thought!

won't even need the web. AI Image models are already trained and work offline. like Stable Diffusion.

May 14 23 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

Models already don't need photographers. They have a cell phone and 'onlyfans' to create 'content' wink tbh Im worn out begging people to shoot with me. Shit gets old.

Jul 15 23 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Will AI be devastating to truth and photography? It may be that we will have to add this to the already quite lengthy list of technologies that can be devastating if used in the wrong way. When photography was invented, some people predicted the death of art as a consequence.

Jul 16 23 03:20 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

JSouthworth wrote:
When photography was invented, some people predicted the death of art as a consequence.

Well, how certain are you that if I looked at your portfolio I'd find art?

Jul 19 23 03:35 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

RE:  "Will AI be devastating to truth and photography?"

I was thinking about "truth"...

I would suggest that people have shown an amazing ability to believe any complete lie that happens to appeal to them.  And no amount of "fact checking" makes the slightest difference.  And, I would point out that's been true WITHOUT AI'S INVOLVEMENT.

I suspect that the same "I'll believe any (so-called) FACT that backs up whatever it is I want to believe" dynamic, will STILL be at play with any (very suspect) AI created content.

If they WANT to believe it then AI content, or AI generated "photographs", will be viewed as "Proof".   

If they DON'T want to believe it, then (whether it's real or just AI generated), it will be regarded as "Fake".

It's pretty sad, really, but that's the world we live in.  The days of "you can have your own opinions but not your own FACTS" are long gone.   Yes, facts still matter, but NOT to those who are deliberately, or even subconsciously, selective as to what they are willing to accept as fact.

AI generated content just gives them more opportunities to believe whatever they were going to believe.

Jul 19 23 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

LightDreams wrote:
RE:  "Will AI be devastating to truth and photography?"

I was thinking about "truth"...

I would suggest that people have shown an amazing ability to believe any complete lie that happens to appeal to them.  And no amount of "fact checking" makes the slightest difference.  And, I would point out that's been true WITHOUT AI'S INVOLVEMENT.

I suspect that the same "I'll believe any (so-called) FACT that backs up whatever it is I want to believe" dynamic, will STILL be at play with any (very suspect) AI created content.

If they WANT to believe it then AI content, or AI generated "photographs", will be viewed as "Proof".   

If they DON'T want to believe it, then (whether it's real or just AI generated), it will be regarded as "Fake".

It's pretty sad, really, but that's the world we live in.  The days of "you can have your own opinions but not your own FACTS" are long gone.   Yes, facts still matter, but NOT to those who are deliberately, or even subconsciously, selective as to what they are willing to accept as fact.

AI generated content just gives them more opportunities to believe whatever they were going to believe.

I was a photo major in college. Photographs that were patently dishonest were printed many times in the late 1800's and early 1900's and that has never stopped. The idea that photography has been based on honesty and integrity up to now is hysterically funny to me!

Jul 19 23 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Shadow Dancer wrote:

I was a photo major in college. Photographs that were patently dishonest were printed many times in the late 1800's and early 1900's and that has never stopped. The idea that photography has been based on honesty and integrity up to now is hysterically funny to me!

There has always been photo manipulation, but done by humans, with human sensibility. Who knows where non-human AI machines will lead us?

Jul 20 23 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Focuspuller wrote:

There has always been photo manipulation, but done by humans, with human sensibility. Who knows where non-human AI machines will lead us?

"Non-Human AI" did not invent itself, it is programmed by humans. Maybe not photographers, I'll give you that.
Yes, it may be a different perspective. Yes, it may be socially unacceptable or cut into a profession that is already compromised to the vanishing point. I can't fix or stall "progress" anymore than I can change the direction the wind blows.
So it goes.

And, FWIW I'm astounded by how good the sharpening tool is in 2021 Photoshop Elements, not everything done using AI will be weird or bad. In some cases it will make life easier and better.

Jul 20 23 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Shadow Dancer wrote:

"Non-Human AI" did not invent itself, it is programmed by humans. Maybe not photographers, I'll give you that.
Yes, it may be a different perspective. Yes, it may be socially unacceptable or cut into a profession that is already compromised to the vanishing point. I can't fix or stall "progress" anymore than I can change the direction the wind blows.
So it goes.

And, FWIW I'm astounded by how good the sharpening tool is in 2021 Photoshop Elements, not everything done using AI will be weird or bad. In some cases it will make life easier and better.

I think you are right.  Humans created it, and AI is already useful, and it is not perfect.  My concern as mentioned in my OP is about images (photographs) being created to support a false narrative for selfish purposes, however I have reminded myself that images have been created to support false narratives or for selfish reasons for a very long time.  It's just sad for me to hear conspiracy believers claim that Apollo 11 didn't land on the moon for an example. Skepticism is not a bad thing though. It is getting more difficult to tell the difference between what is the truth and what is an illusion.

Jul 21 23 01:22 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

P R E S T O N wrote:

Well, how certain are you that if I looked at your portfolio I'd find art?

How certain are you that if you looked in a mirror, you'd see anything more than an undercover cop with a head problem?

Jul 21 23 05:05 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Patrick Walberg wrote:

I think you are right.  Humans created it, and AI is already useful, and it is not perfect.  My concern as mentioned in my OP is about images (photographs) being created to support a false narrative for selfish purposes, however I have reminded myself that images have been created to support false narratives or for selfish reasons for a very long time.  It's just sad for me to hear conspiracy believers claim that Apollo 11 didn't land on the moon for an example. Skepticism is not a bad thing though. It is getting more difficult to tell the difference between what is the truth and what is an illusion.

The example of Apollo 11 demonstrates the tendency of some people to believe what they want to believe irrespective of the evidence. Or AI generated imagery

Jul 21 23 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Shadow Dancer wrote:

"Non-Human AI" did not invent itself, it is programmed by humans.

Hmmmm. Let's see. Can you think of ANY technology, originally "programmed by humans," that has overtaken human attempts to control it? Nuclear physics? Internet? Social media? Genetic engineering? This isn't about Photoshop smart plugins. This is about AI's seductive appeal inducing humans to allow increasing decision-making to be done by machines, including the design of next generation machines. At some point, will AI jump the shark and not need any human involvement whatsoever, having ingested the totality of human knowledge but lacking the one thing that can't be programmed - a human conscience? What then?

Jul 23 23 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:
The example of Apollo 11 demonstrates the tendency of some people to believe what they want to believe irrespective of the evidence. Or AI generated imagery

Old son, you may find that quote biting you in the bum one day. 😂😂😂

Jul 23 23 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Focuspuller wrote:
Hmmmm. Let's see. Can you think of ANY technology, originally "programmed by humans," that has overtaken human attempts to control it? Nuclear physics? Internet? Social media? Genetic engineering? This isn't about Photoshop smart plugins. This is about AI's seductive appeal inducing humans to allow increasing decision-making to be done by machines, including the design of next generation machines. At some point, will AI jump the shark and not need any human involvement whatsoever, having ingested the totality of human knowledge but lacking the one thing that can't be programmed - a human conscience? What then?

I only mentioned that not all AI is inherently evil, nothing more. For you, perhaps "This is about AI's seductive appeal inducing humans to allow increasing decision-making to be done by machines, including the design of next generation machines."
I am not saying that is not possible, not by any means.
As to what you are speaking of, total nuclear devastation has been possible since the 1950's and that has not changed, AI or no AI.
There have been and will be insane people who caused massive conflict since there have been humans.
It may well be that this planet will be destroyed before you can read my post. That's been true for a long time. Another button to push, another plug to pull (remember Hal in 2001, A Space Odyssey?).
The human urge to survive and be supreme still exists. That doesn't mean some madman won't program AI to initiate total devastation. I never said that.

Please read the title and the OP, I chose to discuss the photography aspect.
"Will AI be devastating to truth and photography?"

Jul 23 23 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Shadow Dancer wrote:

I only mentioned that not all AI is inherently evil, nothing more. For you, perhaps "This is about AI's seductive appeal inducing humans to allow increasing decision-making to be done by machines, including the design of next generation machines."
I am not saying that is not possible, not by any means.
As to what you are speaking of, total nuclear devastation has been possible since the 1950's and that has not changed, AI or no AI.
There have been and will be insane people who caused massive conflict since there have been humans.
It may well be that this planet will be destroyed before you can read my post. That's been true for a long time. Another button to push, another plug to pull (remember Hal in 2001, A Space Odyssey?).
The human urge to survive and be supreme still exists. That doesn't mean some madman won't program AI to initiate total devastation. I never said that.

Please read the title and the OP, I chose to discuss the photography aspect.
"Will AI be devastating to truth and photography?"

And I'm not saying AI is inherently evil. Like every new tech it is about who implements and how, as you say. So far, humanity has not done a very good job in dealing with unforeseen consequences. Yes, we are still here, but a couple of strategic miscalculations away from Midnight (and good night) on the Doomsday Clock. Was there a discussion about pollution caused by internal combustion engines when Henry Ford rolled Model T's off the assembly line?

But who knows, maybe AI will be better at predicting dire consequences of tech progress than humans. Until, of course, AI comes to conclude that WE are the worst unforeseen consequence of all.

As to AI in photography, smart tools are one thing; adding and/or modifying elements, misrepresenting the original capture is another. What is beyond all that is AI-generated images from scratch, which appear to be real captures. Can human-made photography compete? Will photographers become like blacksmiths, catering to a tiny niche of nostalgia-freaks, performing in before-times tourist villages, like Colonial Williamsburg or Old Sturbridge Village?

Will AI devastate photography? Probably. And not only photography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ54GDm1eL0&t=01s

Jul 24 23 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

AI is just the latest way to create digital art.

Retouching photographs sometimes goes so far as to become digital art. Meaning that the original work and the finished product are distinctly different works to the eye of the casual observer.

Actual photography is not going to be replaced by AI anymore than Photoshop replaced photography.

And people will always want photography of weddings, events, and etc. that many of them cannot do on their own.

But AI will have an impact on entertainment and advertising for sure. The current Writer's and Actor's strike is all but guaranteeing increased investment in AI by the big studios. In a few short years we will certainly see AI actors taking starring roles in pictures that may have B-roll elements to them but everything else will be AI generated. And why? Because computers won't go on strike.

But for photographers I don't see a tremendous impact. The average person will want real images for their very real memories and they'll come to us when they want it done right.

Jul 24 23 01:19 pm Link