Forums > General Industry > influencers

Model

Simon Rob

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Interested in finding out everything about how to be an influencer and the different types: if there are any. I do wonder that as an author who markets online am I one already. Sorry if this is a little open ended.

Aug 25 23 11:42 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Some marketing networks that work with influencers, try instead to break things down in terms of "HOW MUCH" influence someone appears to have (based on followers):

- Mega Influencer:   One Million Plus Followers

- Macro influencer:   100,000 to One Million Followers

- Micro Influencer:   1,000 to 100,000 Followers

- Nano Influencer:   Less than 1,000 Followers

That, of course, is their own completely arbitrary definition, and is certainly not the only criteria that they consider.  But it does give some indication as to how seriously they take various "influencers".   For whatever that's worth.

Aug 25 23 11:59 am Link

Model

Simon Rob

I think the mega influencers would need to use a paid marketing campaign to get that large the way the large Youtube channels have. You need to spend some considerable cash these days to get a Youtube channel up to that size with legitimate followers.

Aug 25 23 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The YouTube groupings (which are based on subscribers) are a little different:

- 100,000 Subscribers (Silver)

- 1,000,000 Subscribers (Gold)

- 10,000,000 Subscribers (Diamond)

- 100,000,000 Subscribers (Red Diamond)

Aug 25 23 12:14 pm Link

Model

Simon Rob

LightDreams wrote:

My main YouTube channel is nowhere nearest the lowest level with only 1,720
I have many channels though: about 13: I think but it used to be a good strategy but the search algorisms have changed.

Aug 25 23 12:17 pm Link

Model

Simon Rob

LightDreams wrote:

My main YouTube channel is nowhere nearest the lowest level with only 1,720
I have many channels though: about 13: I think but it used to be a good strategy but the search algorisms have changed.

Aug 25 23 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Simon Rob wrote:
I think the mega influencers would need to use a paid marketing campaign to get that large the way the large Youtube channels have. You need to spend some considerable cash these days to get a Youtube channel up to that size with legitimate followers.

or maybe just have a message that is popular with the audience. it's astounding how obtuse you are on a subject that you think you might have an impact on.

Aug 25 23 12:55 pm Link

Model

Simon Rob

Dan Howell wrote:

or maybe just have a message that is popular with the audience. it's astounding how obtuse you are on a subject that you think you might have an impact on.

I am afraid you are wrong my brother works in media: he is a professor and knowing this stuff is part of his job: and the YouTube Channels have huge marketing budgets to get that way these days. I market online if that is all an influencer is there are many of them. Would you think Netflix didn't have a marketing budget? Or a huge film release so why a YouTube channel if its big enough or wants to be. I know it makes a nice story someone building it up with the sweat of their brow but mostly they use a budget. It is no different from how its always been you need someone powerful pushing someone to really see them become famous. That is why people always looked for a big break because then they would have someone powerful behind them. If you think that is wrong you can disagree but I am sure it was somehow covered in an Open University course in business years ago.

Aug 25 23 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

What do you think it means to be an influencer?

Aug 25 23 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

And who is being influenced by these influences?  Not me, I think it is a stupid term.

Aug 25 23 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

If you have the ability to talk people into doing what you want them to do, then congratulations. You're an influencer. No training necessary. Baffle 'em with Bullshit.

Aug 25 23 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

You misspelled influenza...

Aug 25 23 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Simon Rob wrote:
It is no different from how its always been you need someone powerful pushing someone to really see them become famous. That is why people always looked for a big break because then they would have someone powerful behind them. If you think that is wrong you can disagree but I am sure it was somehow covered in an Open University course in business years ago.

You said that mega influencers "would need to use a paid marketing campaign to get that large".

That is simply and provably wrong. Ask your brother. There are models, moms, athletes and teenagers who have gathered 1 million+ followers on multiple platforms strictly by their own postings. it's not even that rare anymore.

Here's a hint. When you are asking for information on a topic in one message, don't come back in your following message with an emphatic statement like you had some insight or authority that is utter bullshit.

Aug 26 23 04:29 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dan Howell wrote:
You said that mega influencers "would need to use a paid marketing campaign to get that large".

That is simply and provably wrong. Ask your brother. There are models, moms, athletes and teenagers who have gathered 1 million+ followers on multiple platforms strictly by their own postings. it's not even that rare anymore.

Here's a hint. When you are asking for information on a topic in one message, don't come back in your following message with an emphatic statement like you had some insight or authority that is utter bullshit.

Just like most of Simon's other posts, it's not a real question or topic, but a backhanded way for him to 'brag' about his self proclaimed 'accomplishments', 'status', and 'greatness' because he's an author... etc, etc, etc. 

Simon Rob wrote:
Interested in finding out everything about how to be an influencer and the different types: if there are any. I do wonder that as an author who markets online am I one already...

Aug 26 23 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
You misspelled influenza...

And plenty of punctuation errors.

Aug 26 23 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Just like most of Simon's other posts, it's not a real question or topic, but a backhanded way for him to 'brag' about his self proclaimed 'accomplishments', 'status', and 'greatness' because he's an author... etc, etc, etc.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that. Simon is as much of an "influencer" as I am an astronaut.

Aug 30 23 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that. Simon is as much of an "influencer" as I am an astronaut.

You're an astronaut?! Wow, that's out of this world!

Aug 30 23 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

I don't use much other social media..no IG, no tic tok, etc.  Seems anyone can call themselves an 'influencer' these days. Which to me just means nothing. Or I think of those kids who commit suicide because of the media comments, pressure or 'influence' by certain people who encourage them to die.   I put 'influencer' right down there in lower level with the Kardashians......It's a self claimed honor, and means you dont' have a real job and come to spout off on youtube and IG to tell yourself you ARE somebody.    Really.    A great model does not need somebody else to be their 'influencer' on what to go after or how to do it.   You make your own choices.

Sep 02 23 06:28 pm Link